Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 173

Thread: Why I Became a Conservative

  1. #11
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Thankfully, in Texas virtue signaling is not an acceptable alternative to fixing pot holes and good law enforcement.
    I said specifically Houston?

    How is it being libertarian in Houston?
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    22,115

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    People change sides. It happens. I should know, I'm an ex-conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    I've never read that anyone from this forum defends Trump lies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
    Bernie's campaign was widely described as the most gentle primary campaign in memory
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,876

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Becoming conservative is a process of maturation, of acquiring experience, of gaining wisdom, and these days especially, of rejecting the self loathing and abnegation required of members of the left.

    ON THE PORCH: An on-line reunion | Free | mymcr.net
    Maturation, experience, wisdom? You think Trump has these qualities? You make me laugh!
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  4. #14
    Curmudgeon

    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,956
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by snakestretcher View Post
    Did you have a momentary lapse of reason? Which of those qualities describes Trump? Maturity; his infantile tweets and kindergarten-level insults sort of refute that. Experience? None, politically, and a serial failure in business. Wisdom? Trump can't even spell it, let alone understand what wisdom is.
    I donít think I mentioned Trump.

    I donít like his rhetoric, but I like his policy, which any lack of experience does not impair.

    One learns not to took for father figures in the wrong places. Surely looking for paragons of virtue among politicians is a foolís errand.

    If I don't answer your post it's because you lost the debate.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Luckyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,649

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Becoming conservative is a process of maturation, of acquiring experience, of gaining wisdom, and these days especially, of rejecting the self loathing and abnegation required of members of the left.

    ON THE PORCH: An on-line reunion | Free | mymcr.net
    Incredible and a perfect example of how a conservative thinks and analyzes things.

    Let's start with the definition of what being a Liberal is:

    Definition of liberal :

    a : one who is open-minded or not strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional, or established forms or ways

    Open minded means that he/she is willing to consider new ideas. After all, things change every day as we progress in technology and knowledge and being able to be open minded about it makes sense, doesn't it?

    Compared to Conservative that wants to keep everything as it has always been. No I phones, no computers, wife's place is in the kitchen and taking care of the kids, no progress..............just the same, over and over again.

    Secondly, the article states "he knows Liberals and doesn't want them running things". My question is "why not" How does being a Liberal mean they cannot run things? Is being a Liberal mean they are stupid and being Conservative intelligent? Is being Liberal mean they are incompetent and being Conservative competent?

    Isn't each person supposed to be judged by who they are, their education, their ability, their knowledge, and experience? Or just whether they are of Conservative or Liberal? or party association?

    Words are cheap and everyone has a ton of them. Nonetheless, those who say them (or write them in the case of this OP) are uninformed and unthinking individuals that if put in a position to "run things", they probably would run them into the ground within a few days.

    Tags are for losers. When a person is judged by the color of his skin, the party he belongs to, his religion, and whether he has Conservative leanings or Liberal leanings and not by his ability and competence we end up with leaders like Trump that don't know anything, solve nothing, and who plunges us back to the time we were neanderthals

    Congratulations on your OP. You just proved that we are heading back instead of heading forward. You are a true Conservative that is still living in the past and that has no ability to do anything new........

    neanderthal1a.jpg
    Last edited by Luckyone; 08-17-19 at 09:40 AM.
    My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring. Money is important but secondary.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,053

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I don’t think I mentioned Trump.

    I don’t like his rhetoric, but I like his policy, which any lack of experience does not impair.

    One learns not to took for father figures in the wrong places. Surely looking for paragons of virtue among politicians is a fool’s errand.
    Oh, this. Definitely this. I don't need to look to anyone to validate my existence. The Left is constantly chasing their fathers and mothers.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Luckyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,649

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I don’t think I mentioned Trump.

    I don’t like his rhetoric, but I like his policy, which any lack of experience does not impair.

    One learns not to took for father figures in the wrong places. Surely looking for paragons of virtue among politicians is a fool’s errand.
    Lack of experience does not impair policy?

    You need to explain that because what I have been taught is that lack of experience and competency means nothing is done well and that also includes policy, doesn't it?
    My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring. Money is important but secondary.

  8. #18
    Ugly bag of mostly water
    it's just me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,225

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyone View Post
    Incredible and a perfect example of how a conservative thinks and analyzes things.

    Let's start with the definition of what being a Liberal is:

    Definition of liberal :

    a : one who is open-minded or not strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional, or established forms or ways

    Open minded means that he/she is willing to consider new ideas. After all, things change every day as we progress in technology and knowledge and being able to be open minded about it makes sense, doesn't it?

    Compared to Conservative that wants to keep everything as it has always been. No I phones, no computers, wife's place is in the kitchen and taking care of the kids, no progress..............just the same, over and over again.

    Secondly, the article states "he knows Liberals and doesn't want them running things". My question is "why not" How does being a Liberal mean they cannot run things? Is being a Liberal mean they are stupid and being Conservative intelligent? Is being Liberal mean they are incompetent and being Conservative competent?

    Isn't each person supposed to be judged by who they are, their education, their ability, their knowledge, and experience? Or just whether they are of Conservative or Liberal? or party association?

    Words are cheap and everyone has a ton of them. Nonetheless, those who say them (or write them in the case of this OP) are uninformed and unthinking individuals that if put in a position to "run things", they probably would run them into the ground within a few days.

    Tags are for losers. When a person is judged by the color of his skin, the party he belongs to, his religion, and whether he has Conservative leanings or Liberal leanings and not by his ability and competence we end up with leaders like Trump that don't know anything, solve nothing, and who plunges us back to the time we were neanderthals

    Congratulations on your OP. You just proved that we are heading back instead of heading forward. You are a true Conservative that is still living in the past and that has no ability to do anything new........

    neanderthal1a.jpg
    There are no "liberals" anymore. I remember when liberals existed, but the ones who call themselves "liberals" are all leftists now, with a thirst for power and control.
    ďIt's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the endÖ because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, itís only a passing thingÖ this shadow. Even darkness must pass."

  9. #19
    Student FinnFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    204

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Whole thing being conservative is also about context but I can't find that important nuance in OP. By that I mean you can be conservative in many ways depending what's in focus. There is some reason to be conservative in some areas, when evidence is overwhelming strong (like earth is round - so we can keep that in any situation and be counted as conservative when it comes to our thinking about shape of earth). But if you think that conservativeness is always good no matter what's the context - you're just fool. You need to proof how your way to think is reasonable related to subject X (X can be whatever).

    Being conservative is bad when it's slowing you down, making your thinking "too solid" - so you're going to lose some self-criticism too (or all of it). When conservativeness is covering all aspects of your life, you live in delusional bubble, where everything is good inside and everything bad is out there where people think differently.
    Fiat iustitia, et pereat mundus

  10. #20
    Exposing GOP since 2015
    NeverTrump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    23,837
    Blog Entries
    27

    Re: Why I Became a Conservative

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Becoming conservative is a process of maturation, of acquiring experience, of gaining wisdom, and these days especially, of rejecting the self loathing and abnegation required of members of the left.

    ON THE PORCH: An on-line reunion | Free | mymcr.net
    Odd how Trump espouses none of those views. He's not mature, he has no experience in politics and it's clear the only business experience he has is extortion, bribes, and ripping people off, he does not gain wisdom from those who don't agree with him and he is so thin-skinned and insecure he has to wear tons of makeup and yell at the TV everyday!

    Or is that why from the age of 13-19 I was a hardcore conservative who hated Obama? Did I have experience and maturity then? Is that why all the conservatives I know post dumb memes and conspiracy theories and haven't changed their minds in over 30 years despite getting screwed by the system and collecting social security welfare in the process?
    When this is all over, nobody will admit to ever having supported it. -- David Frum

    Trump does the things that Trump supporters hate and claim not to support, but they don't realize Trump and his people are the ones doing them.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •