Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,416

    Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    It seems that the two parties have different ideas on whether there is a right to vote and whether we should make it easier or harder to vote. In several states before the last elections, some states took people off of their voter rolls. I read in one state over a million people were kicked off the rolls and the main reason was that their name appeared in another state. I have an unusual last name and yet if you googled my daughter you would find four other people with the same name. In at least one state we have automatic registration making it easier to vote. In another state you really have to check well before each election to make sure your name has not been removed from the rolls. I have voted in the same place since the late 70's, but for some reason in 2012 my name had been removed from the state voter roll. Then we also have a situation in this country that states make it harder for certain groups to vote by reducing or removing polling places making it harder to vote. In some areas people had to wait 8 or more hours in line to vote. Not exactly making voting easier. There are other ways some states are making it harder for certain groups to vote,but I think you get the message. So, do we make it easier for all our citizens to vote in every state no matter which party controls or are you okay with limiting those who vote by whatever means the state wishes?

  2. #2
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lebanon Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    841

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    It seems that the two parties have different ideas on whether there is a right to vote and whether we should make it easier or harder to vote. In several states before the last elections, some states took people off of their voter rolls. I read in one state over a million people were kicked off the rolls and the main reason was that their name appeared in another state. I have an unusual last name and yet if you googled my daughter you would find four other people with the same name. In at least one state we have automatic registration making it easier to vote. In another state you really have to check well before each election to make sure your name has not been removed from the rolls. I have voted in the same place since the late 70's, but for some reason in 2012 my name had been removed from the state voter roll. Then we also have a situation in this country that states make it harder for certain groups to vote by reducing or removing polling places making it harder to vote. In some areas people had to wait 8 or more hours in line to vote. Not exactly making voting easier. There are other ways some states are making it harder for certain groups to vote,but I think you get the message. So, do we make it easier for all our citizens to vote in every state no matter which party controls or are you okay with limiting those who vote by whatever means the state wishes?
    We do have to find ways to take voters off the roles, whether they have moved or died or are otherwise ineligible. But not in ways that make it harder for the poor, the infirm, the workers, or new registrants to vote. We have to expand absentee voting or vote by mail because it is more convenient, less expensive and avoids so many of the traps that polling places engender. There are no lines to your mailbox and no hours to cut or infirm to transport, and workers get to pick their own time and day.
    .

  3. #3
    Conservatarian Guru
    Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    12,202

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    We need to make voting as secure and accurate as possible. Simply and easy don't count.
    State of Liberalism Progress Report
    1961: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" - JFK
    2019: Where's my free stuff!

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    112,797

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    Voting is a Constitutional right mentioned in at least five different sections of that document. It should and must be easy to exercise that right and at the same time secure.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #5
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    156

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    Usually if people are waiting 6 and 8 hours or more to vote it is a combination of high turn out and long ballots. I think Florida's ballots have run 8 or 9 pages long they have so many ballot initiatives on them.

    I support voter ID laws as long as there is a means for indigent people to get ID's. They have actually sped up our voting process locally as they can scan your info off the magnetic strip on your license instead of having to be twice verified manually comparing your ID to paper rolls.

    I also support cleaning up the rolls periodically.

    There are things I don't support like consolidation of polling places, but on balance, I think we are heading in the right direction.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,850

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    It seems that the two parties have different ideas on whether there is a right to vote and whether we should make it easier or harder to vote. In several states before the last elections, some states took people off of their voter rolls. I read in one state over a million people were kicked off the rolls and the main reason was that their name appeared in another state. I have an unusual last name and yet if you googled my daughter you would find four other people with the same name. In at least one state we have automatic registration making it easier to vote. In another state you really have to check well before each election to make sure your name has not been removed from the rolls. I have voted in the same place since the late 70's, but for some reason in 2012 my name had been removed from the state voter roll. Then we also have a situation in this country that states make it harder for certain groups to vote by reducing or removing polling places making it harder to vote. In some areas people had to wait 8 or more hours in line to vote. Not exactly making voting easier. There are other ways some states are making it harder for certain groups to vote,but I think you get the message. So, do we make it easier for all our citizens to vote in every state no matter which party controls or are you okay with limiting those who vote by whatever means the state wishes?
    With only around a 62% voting rate in 2016 I would wager it is the fact we put too much of a roadblock on the third party candidates to where only dem and rep debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical1 View Post
    Which is greater, the life of the baby or a womans "rights"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxas
    Yes, we know that you don't care Trump bragged about walking in on underage girls naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And that bothers you because????????

  7. #7
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    I say make it harder... in that only those with Masters degree or equivalent, and above should be allowed to vote. Or pick some other way of validating a necessary minimal level of intelligence. IQ tests? Whatever... I don't care if that does not include me and if only the smarter people vote.

    But hey, I am sure that's just me.

  8. #8
    It's the Despair Quotient
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,752
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by independentusa View Post
    It seems that the two parties have different ideas on whether there is a right to vote and whether we should make it easier or harder to vote. In several states before the last elections, some states took people off of their voter rolls. I read in one state over a million people were kicked off the rolls and the main reason was that their name appeared in another state. I have an unusual last name and yet if you googled my daughter you would find four other people with the same name. In at least one state we have automatic registration making it easier to vote. In another state you really have to check well before each election to make sure your name has not been removed from the rolls. I have voted in the same place since the late 70's, but for some reason in 2012 my name had been removed from the state voter roll. Then we also have a situation in this country that states make it harder for certain groups to vote by reducing or removing polling places making it harder to vote. In some areas people had to wait 8 or more hours in line to vote. Not exactly making voting easier. There are other ways some states are making it harder for certain groups to vote,but I think you get the message. So, do we make it easier for all our citizens to vote in every state no matter which party controls or are you okay with limiting those who vote by whatever means the state wishes?
    The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    08-16-19 @ 11:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    68

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    The Canadian system seems sufficient, Mexico has even more stringent rules.

    Frankly, those that make money by tax dollars should be considered as having a conflict of interests in terms of voting.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,670

    Re: Should we make it easier or harder to vote?

    Democrats: Yes.

    Republicans: We often praise the Americans who fought for our right to vote, risking their lives against machine gun fire. We should have the military again surround polling locations and voters have to earn their right to vote facing machine gun fire. If you disagree, you are attacking our great veterans who fought for the right to vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •