Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 226

Thread: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,643

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    I'm not worried

    I just can't stand all the rhetoric and "Feel good" behind all this
    The thing about this is the bad actors were acting bad before Trump entered the fray.

    China was abusing international law.

    N.Korea was launching missiles into the Sea of Japan.

    Iran was funding terror.

    Russia was invading and annexing sovereign states.

    In the meantime, the US was funding Iran, supporting Chinese trade practices, ignoring Russian aggression and letting N. Korea do whatever it wanted to do.

    Trump came to power and aimed power at the bad actors. Ignoring problems seldom makes problems go away.
    Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, ...every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. -George Orwell

  2. #32
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,583

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    The thing about this is the bad actors were acting bad before Trump entered the fray.

    China was abusing international law.

    N.Korea was launching missiles into the Sea of Japan.

    Iran was funding terror.

    Russia was invading and annexing sovereign states.

    In the meantime, the US was funding Iran, supporting Chinese trade practices, ignoring Russian aggression and letting N. Korea do whatever it wanted to do.

    Trump came to power and aimed power at the bad actors. Ignoring problems seldom makes problems go away.
    Yeah... and that is still happening with Trump

    And yes, Trump would not have done anything about Russia
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  3. #33
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,066

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    Thank God we FINALLY have a President who is stepping up to reign in the dictatorships that have been abusing the international community.

    Until Trump, China, Russia, Iran and Korea were pretty much just running wild with nobody to challenge them. Cheating on agreements, threatening neighbors, invading neighbors, flaunting international law.

    I read in the past that at the start of the 20th Century there were about 5 operating democracies on the planet. At the end there were about 95. Some operating better than others.

    I seem to think that there are about 200 countries in all so there are still a bunch of people living under the yoke of despotism. Some are operating better than others.
    Trump/MBS, Trump/Venezuela, Trump/Honduras, Trump/sanctions, tariffs, embargoes to prevent Free Trade. You must be talking about a different Trump.
    /

  4. #34
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    52,774

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The USA is not a DEMOCRACY. At least, not at the National level. It does not spread democracies, but spreads dictatorships because they are easier to do business with. Corporatism/fascism is the Modus Operandi and has been for a very long time. Nice people, great Nation, and scumbags running it for too long.
    /
    Dictatorships like Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc...... South Vietnam until communist North Vietnam invaded....
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  5. #35
    Sage 3leftsdoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,481

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    The US is not really a democracy at all. The 2 party system is a freak show, and the government is not controlled by elected representatives, but by special interests in the form of corporations.

    We have an oligarchy.

    The voters think they control the government, but they also think the government is here to protect them.
    /Thread
    Bernie or Bang / Go Vote for Yang / Tulsi - Just Dang!

  6. #36
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    25,090

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    And who's fault do you think that is?
    It is simply a fact. I assign no blame to anybody except corrupt humans who write the rules.

  7. #37
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,066

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
    Dictatorships like Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc...... South Vietnam until communist North Vietnam invaded....
    We are still occupying Okinawa, Germany, and Korea. Since WWII, don't ya' know?
    /

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    32,705

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    I thought we had a Republic?
    No, we have a DEMOCRATIC Republic.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

  9. #39
    It's the Despair Quotient
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,755
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post

    The United States is also not a democracy at all. The USA is a Constitutional Republic employing federalism as a curb to pure democracy.
    Representative democracy is enshrined in the Constitution. Federalism is used as a buffer, a natural buffer, as the founders figured out that pure democracy, only tried 2500 years ago in Athens, was too volatile and unstable without a buffer.

    Hence when one uses or hears the term "democracy", it is and always has been generally accepted that we're not talking about pure democracy, any more than one uses the word "oxygen" when talking about the air we breathe.
    We do not breathe pure oxygen. It is buffered at approximately 21 percent by other inert gases.

    Democracy is buffered the way oxygen is buffered, in a most natural way.

    Pundits and demagogues of the current age are using weaponized agitprop to sow distrust in our institutional form of republican representative democracy in an effort to clear the way for authoritarianism and quite possibly theocracy.

    And the very fact that ANYONE is rising up as an apologist to defend this ongoing and continuous mischaracterization and villification of democracy only proves that point until it becomes indisputable, otherwise one would simply be told that such villification is a mistake and the result of poor judgment.

    The United States IS indeed a democracy. It is a democracy in the way that the founding fathers believed democracy could work, when enshrined within the framework of republican values under a constitution.
    Representative democracy is the keystone and cornerstone to any free republic.

    It shall not be disrespected, demonized or marginalized, or blood will be shed to make it right again.
    The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    32,705

    Re: What if the people of the US stop supporting democracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    The thing about this is the bad actors were acting bad before Trump entered the fray.

    China was abusing international law.

    N.Korea was launching missiles into the Sea of Japan.

    Iran was funding terror.

    Russia was invading and annexing sovereign states.

    In the meantime, the US was funding Iran, supporting Chinese trade practices, ignoring Russian aggression and letting N. Korea do whatever it wanted to do.

    Trump came to power and aimed power at the bad actors. Ignoring problems seldom makes problems go away.
    Kim is still launching missiles into the sea of Japan and busily building ICBM bases without Chinese sanctions which were removed because of Trump's "talks". China is making trade alliances without the U.S. and bankrupting our farmers because of Trump's trade war. Russia is in control of Syria and Venuzuela and Trump does nothing. Iran is back to enriching uranium for a bomb and endangering the oil traffic in the straights of Hormuz because Trump withdrew from the nuclear agreement without a plan. Trump has done nothing but make our problems worse and weakening our alliances while strengthening our enemies. Some wonder whether Putin is controlling him, I don't care because he is acting exactly the same as if he was.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 07-20-19 at 04:52 PM.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    - Voltaire

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •