Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 480

Thread: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic stat

  1. #1
    Sage
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,117

    Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic stat

    The campaign to bring back pre-existing conditions kicks into high gear this week.

    A sophistic ruling from a single Texas judge unveiled late last year, held until safely after the midterm elections when it couldn't further doom the GOP's chances, would dismantle the entire ACA, depriving tens of millions of people of their coverage and throwing the American health system into chaos. This week the oral arguments in front of a panel of judges from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans begin. The stakes are life-and-death.

    Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic states in court
    That ruling has not been implemented pending appeal, but the implications are huge. If the law is wiped out, so too would be insurance for 20 million people, protection for people with pre-existing conditions, subsidies for low-income people, Medicaid expansions in many states, coverage for young adults up to age 26 and more.
    On one side are the Trump administration and 18 states, led by Texas, that agree with O'Connor's decision and want the law dismantled. On the other side are the U.S. House of Representatives and 16 states, led by California, seeking to have that ruling reversed. A threshold question is whether the House, and possibly the liberal states, have the required legal authority to defend a law the federal government is not defending.

    Hearing the two sides will be a three-judge panel that includes two judges chosen by Republican presidents and one nominated by a Democrat. If its decision eventually goes to the full appeals court, that too is dominated by GOP presidents' choices.

  2. #2
    Sage



    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    17,204

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    The campaign to bring back pre-existing conditions kicks into high gear this week.

    A sophistic ruling from a single Texas judge unveiled late last year, held until safely after the midterm elections when it couldn't further doom the GOP's chances, would dismantle the entire ACA, depriving tens of millions of people of their coverage and throwing the American health system into chaos. This week the oral arguments in front of a panel of judges from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans begin. The stakes are life-and-death.

    Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic states in court
    I'd love this to be a fight during the 2020 election season. On one side, Democrats, who want to keep tens of millions of Americans' on insurance plans. On the other side, Republicans bent on taking away insurance from tens of millions of Americans.

    Republicans have been trying to market themselves as being on the side of blue collar workers. Nothing shows how dishonest that characterization really is than the actual policies and actions of Republicans.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire

  3. #3
    Sage
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,117

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    I'd love this to be a fight during the 2020 election season. On one side, Democrats, who want to keep tens of millions of Americans' on insurance plans. On the other side, Republicans bent on taking away insurance from tens of millions of Americans.

    Republicans have been trying to market themselves as being on the side of blue collar workers. Nothing shows how dishonest that characterization really is than the actual policies and actions of Republicans.
    I can't imagine this won't be a major issue--the issue if the GOP succeeds at destroying the health system--in 2020. 2018 was a health care election and it was a historic midterm victory for the Dems, but at that point the GOP was still lying about defending pre-existing condition protections. Most people saw through it but clearly there were at least some folks who found it plausible that they wanted to protect those folks.

    Now that Trump and the GOP are going all-in on bringing back pre-existing conditions and stripping tens of millions of coverage, they don't seem to be trying to hide their position anymore.

  4. #4
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,367

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    2020 will also be a healthcare election.

    Mark my words.

  5. #5

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    There is a very simple solution to this. Let each state decide for themselves. Leave the federal gov out of it.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Sage
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,117

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    There is a very simple solution to this. Let each state decide for themselves. Leave the federal gov out of it.
    Trump and the GOP are trying to get the entirety of the ACA thrown out.

    That doesn't just undo the insurance market reforms including the pre-existing protections, or the creation of marketplaces, or the financial assistance for paying premiums and deductibles. It reverses reforms of Medicare and Medicaid (including anti-fraud provisions) that have held Medicare cost growth to unprecedented lows. It eliminates reforms to health care and the revamping of provider business models that support better care delivery and higher quality. It reverses investments in the nation's public health infrastructure and the health care workforce (i.e., increases in the number of care providers and facilities available to treat people). It even eliminates FDA reforms to speed approval of biosimilar drugs.

    It's not just tens of millions of lives that are in the balance, it's the entire economics of the health sector. "Let each state decide" is pithy but misses the scale of what's going on here.

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-19 @ 07:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,611

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    "Let each state decide" is pithy but misses the scale of what's going on here.
    The republican party in a nutshell.
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  8. #8
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    56,042

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    So Democrats will run on the same issue that handed them back control of the House in 2018.

    Okey dokey.

  9. #9
    Sage



    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    17,204

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    There is a very simple solution to this. Let each state decide for themselves. Leave the federal gov out of it.
    Good idea -- because Mississippi and Kentucky are so well equipped to provide healthcare on their own. As a liberal Democrat from a wealthy state, I don't mind some of my tax money subsidizing health care in poor states. They are Americans.

    But if your view is that the progressive agenda is morally wrong, that people shouldn’t receive more in government benefits than they pay in taxes, you should be aware how many Americans are already “takers,” “moochers,” whatever. In fact, we’re talking about a vast swath of the heartland that includes just about every state that voted for Donald Trump. Take the case of Kentucky. In 2017, KY received $40 billion more from the federal government than it paid in taxes. That’s about one-fifth of the state’s G.D.P.; if Kentucky were a country, we’d say that it was receiving foreign aid on an almost inconceivable scale.

    This aid, in turn, supports a lot of jobs. It’s fair to say that far more Kentuckians work in hospitals kept afloat by Medicare and Medicaid, in retail establishments kept going by Social Security and food stamps, than in all traditional occupations like mining and even agriculture combined.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire

  10. #10

    Re: Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    Good idea -- because Mississippi and Kentucky are so well equipped to provide healthcare on their own. As a liberal Democrat from a wealthy state, I don't mind some of my tax money subsidizing health care in poor states. They are Americans.

    But if your view is that the progressive agenda is morally wrong, that people shouldn’t receive more in government benefits than they pay in taxes, you should be aware how many Americans are already “takers,” “moochers,” whatever. In fact, we’re talking about a vast swath of the heartland that includes just about every state that voted for Donald Trump. Take the case of Kentucky. In 2017, KY received $40 billion more from the federal government than it paid in taxes. That’s about one-fifth of the state’s G.D.P.; if Kentucky were a country, we’d say that it was receiving foreign aid on an almost inconceivable scale.

    This aid, in turn, supports a lot of jobs. It’s fair to say that far more Kentuckians work in hospitals kept afloat by Medicare and Medicaid, in retail establishments kept going by Social Security and food stamps, than in all traditional occupations like mining and even agriculture combined.
    Your not speaking for me. That isnt my position at all. If you would like to understand my position here it is

    In general i am not opposed to reforming the heathcare industry but i do disagree with what is being proposed. That is an entirely seperate discussion that im more than willing to also have with you.

    My position is that it is outside the role of the federal gov to mandate a single approach healthcare for 50 states and however msny nonstates it oversees.

    Each state should be free to impliment its own regulations and standards as they see fit. The sucessful ones will flurish and eork best will eventually be adopted by all the states and the ones that dont will be abandoned for the ones that do.

    That is the democratic approach. Allow competing ideas to compete and let the best ones rise to the top. Its about as american of a priniciple as any.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •