Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 266

Thread: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

  1. #141
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    12,398

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Noted: you avoided the question in post 69.
    Oh I see. The question was about what we would do if China and India continued to pollute even if we cut back. I was trying to answer it more broadly by talking about leadership.

    More specifically, being a world leader means you lead by example. You have the vision. You spearhead the technologies and policies. Once they are in place and functioning and others start to see it's just a better and more sustainable way of doing things, others will follow.

    I am sure the Chinese don't want to be walking around with masks around their faces all the time in their cities, or getting cancer from all the pollution. They just don't have anything better.

  2. #142
    Advisor
    COTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Last Seen
    07-17-19 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    462

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    Their policies contradict that they care about the climate or earth. That's because the libertarian radical right has injected a capitalism at all costs, free market above all mentality among the current GOP.

    Ending protections for streams, allowing drilling in protected waters which house precious natural resources like dwindling -real- salmon runs, etc.

    So no. I have no faith the republicans give a damn about the environment, and this court hearing establishes what I long suspected.
    You start with the reality: "Republicans prioritize industry above concerns for environmental damage in several contentious issues: off-shore drilling, fracking, and carbon reduction. They do so because they believe the industry's boon to the happiness and prosperity of humanity outweighs the loss to happiness and prosperity incurred by the known risks/damages."

    You then throw away the entire rationale in the second part of the statement as though it were irrelevant, replacing it with "the libertarian radical right has injected a capitalism at all costs, free market above all mentality among the current GOP", implying the GOP is somehow suicidally capitalistic and/or is shifting towards capitalism along the capitalism-socialism spectrum, both of which are demonstrably false implications. The GOP, like the American electorate, has been drifting away from capitalism for well over a century and a half. The restrictions and regulatory bureaucracies of today would have been unthinkable in the capitalist mindset of the 1920's or even the 1950's.

    You then conflate off-shore drilling, fracking, and carbon reduction with "giv[ing] a damn about the environment" generally--as though the thousands of environmental issues that aren't in sharp contention between Republicans and Democrats are irrelevant (they aren't), and that caring about the environment was somehow equivalent to taking the Democratic position on these three specific issues (it isn't).

    With these fallacies ready in hand, you show up in a thread whose premise is still more absurd--that Republicans don't merely not "give a damn about the environment", they don't give a damn about the survival of humanity itself. What an opportunity to bash your foes! To this end, you eagerly endorse the OP's contention that the verdict "American's [sic] have no right to a climate capable of sustaining human life" (a.k.a. activists being run out of court on a rail) is proof of the GOP's nefarious hatred of the environment and indeed humanity itself.

    I'm 99% certain you know the OP's thesis is pure garbage, hence shame on you for slandering your countrymen.

    Alternatively, in the slight chance you've gone batty and genuinely believe Republicans--almost half your nation--genuinely don't care about the fate of the environment, the planet, and humanity itself, and that the citizens of America are wholly unfit to govern, all I can say is thank Heaven the courts have more sense than you do. You at least have a few judges left who'll avoid throwing out your hard-won democracy as panicked children froth at the mouth demanding the courts usurp power.

    Carbon credits are your personal interest. Democracy is your hard-won right.

  3. #143
    Infidel Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    You start with the reality: "Republicans prioritize industry above concerns for environmental damage in several contentious issues: off-shore drilling, fracking, and carbon reduction. They do so because they believe the industry's boon to the happiness and prosperity of humanity outweighs the loss to happiness and prosperity incurred by the known risks/damages."
    Republicans prioritize industry above environmental damage because their donors TELL them to prioritize it. I literally do not believe a single "republican" thinks beyond the paper their false promises are written on.

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    You then throw away the entire rationale in the second part of the statement as though it were irrelevant, replacing it with "the libertarian radical right has injected a capitalism at all costs, free market above all mentality among the current GOP",.... The restrictions and regulatory bureaucracies of today would have been unthinkable in the capitalist mindset of the 1920's or even the 1950's.
    The GOP is socialist for industry, and capitalist for all else. The GOP has been infected with radical capitalist supremacists since the Goldwater days. Their policies have infected the GOP to the point, imho, of no return. The GOP has acted hand over fist to ensure industry can do whatever it wants. I don't, again, care, if the GOP thinks people are happier because the economy is good while their natural resources are raped and abused to give some clown a profit.

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    You then conflate off-shore drilling, fracking, and carbon reduction with "giv[ing] a damn about the environment" generally--as though the thousands of environmental issues that aren't in sharp contention between Republicans and Democrats are irrelevant (they aren't), and that caring about the environment was somehow equivalent to taking the Democratic position on these three specific issues (it isn't).
    Most democrats I know want to protect the environment. Republicans, however, have Candace owens as a mouthpiece.




    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    With these fallacies ready in hand, you show up in a thread whose premise is still more absurd--that Republicans don't merely not "give a damn about the environment", they don't give a damn about the survival of humanity itself. What an opportunity to bash your foes! To this end, you eagerly endorse the OP's contention that the verdict "American's [sic] have no right to a climate capable of sustaining human life" (a.k.a. activists being run out of court on a rail) is proof of the GOP's nefarious hatred of the environment and indeed humanity itself.
    I didn't make the argument. The administration did, and it's a republican administration. The proof is in the pudding. It wasn't democrats that enabled the poisoning of streams for corporate profit.

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    I'm 99% certain you know the OP's thesis is pure garbage, hence shame on you for slandering your countrymen.
    What I know is pure garbage is your sanctimonious claim I am slandering my countrymen. It's not slander if it is TRUE. Thing is, if republicans cared about a clean and healthy and vibrant environment, they'd vote for it. Right now, they vote for the opposite.

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    Alternatively, in the slight chance you've gone batty and genuinely believe Republicans--almost half your nation--genuinely don't care about the fate of the environment, the planet, and humanity itself, and that the citizens of America are wholly unfit to govern, all I can say is thank Heaven the courts have more sense than you do. You at least have a few judges left who'll avoid throwing out your hard-won democracy as panicked children froth at the mouth demanding the courts usurp power.
    Sorry, I don't believe in heaven. I don't believe they give one damn. Why would anyone believe they give a damn? According to you, they think enabling industry over protecting the environment makes people happier. It doesn't. It makes their -donors- happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    Carbon credits are your personal interest. Democracy is your hard-won right.
    I'm not interested in carbon taxes/credits. I find them distasteful. What I also am not interested in is another appeal to morality while you lot continue to vote in and support people who remove stream protections, ignore science, and allow pollution at every turn. Denying cancer causing agents. The list goes on and on and on and on and on.

    The GOP has been co-opted by radical fringe extremism.

    If you lot don't want to be "slandered" then STOP VOTING FOR IT.
    No mercy for the merciless.

    #BDS

  4. #144
    Sage


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,551

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    Teen activists face US government in crucial hearing over climate trial | Environment | The Guardian

    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.


    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.


    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.



    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.

    It's about whether you, the person reading this, think American's have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life.

    I say yes, because I want to live and I want my grandkids and their grandkids to live.

    I agree. If if the earth is heading in the wrong direction, climate wise, we have a duty to at least try and do something about it.
    ...if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. --- The Mueller Report

  5. #145
    Sage


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,551

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRepublican View Post
    I thought that we’re a Republic?


    A republican is a type of democracy.
    ...if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. --- The Mueller Report

  6. #146
    Sage


    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,551

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    **** yes. Last time we didn’t let the very unpopular minority dictate to the majority, the majority was lynching and enslaving that very unpopular minority.

    No surprise that Democrats want too return to their old ways, like they ever went anywhere.

    Strawman meter redlining.
    ...if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. --- The Mueller Report

  7. #147
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    291

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    It is about rights, the second the administration makes a rights claim.

    It's not a desireable goal. It's a moral requirement.
    They made a claim that it isn't a right. And they are correct about that.

    I agree that a clean environment is a moral requirement as well as a desirable goal.

  8. #148
    Infidel Obscurity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
    They made a claim that it isn't a right. And they are correct about that.

    I agree that a clean environment is a moral requirement as well as a desirable goal.
    It's inherent to the right to life, and making the argument itself is brinksmanship in order to force agendas.
    No mercy for the merciless.

    #BDS

  9. #149
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,612

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtEx. View Post
    Teen activists face US government in crucial hearing over climate trial | Environment | The Guardian

    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.


    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.


    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.



    this is not about the validity of the trial, or whether climate change is real.

    It's about whether you, the person reading this, think American's have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life.

    I say yes, because I want to live and I want my grandkids and their grandkids to live.
    Only the unborn have a right to life.

  10. #150
    Sage
    ThoughtEx.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,078

    Re: "Americans don't have a right to a climate capable of sustaining human life"

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    Only the unborn have a right to life.
    dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUzGCg.jpg

    unborn as in future generations, sure, if you're wanting to start some beef on abortion take that **** elsewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    You remember that next time one of your precious lil protestors gets run down in the street or your precious minor aged criminal is locked in a cage and I laugh at your pleas.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •