Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 183

Thread: Is conservatism selfishness?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Last Seen
    08-06-19 @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,033

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    You know, when I got out the Navy, and my wife and I were homeless after a hurricane destroyed the business I was going to work for... everyone told me to sign up for "Unemployment" through Texas, as we pay into that through taxes it was due me. I was on it, I think 3 months. And I felt dirty as hell. It still bothers me. My wife didn't' as she had never worked in Texas she felt it would be wrong. We had NOTHING. I got a **** job, working in retail. At the time we qualified for food stamps and other programs, but we refused. I worked a few side jobs and despite having nearly been on the streets twice since that point some 13 years ago, I couldn't and wouldn't take another penny. We lived off ramen noodles and el cheapo products presents for near on a year. We had one car. Hell it took us 4 years to buy an LCD TV, we were still using a 32 inch CRT I got in 1994. We saved up for that and paid cash.

    She got a job working part time that turned into a job that now could, should things work out and the COMPANY ACTUALLY SELLS... net us 750k. I bounced around a few jobs and now work from home for good money, great benefits. Hell I didn't have a cell phone for 6 years? Just recently got one...

    But we went without rather than sign up for other programs, we went without when times got hard rather than take.

    We were in a bad bad place, and I made the wrong choice to listen to others, a lesson well taught.
    I don’t think you made the wrong choice. Everyone needs a helping hand every now and then. Everyone understands that. What people resent is when welfare becomes a generational thing.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Luther's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    07-09-20 @ 06:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,569

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    Yeah it works great there too
    So, your inexperience/lack of knowledge really shows if you think its the same today(LOL)
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63,379

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    So, your inexperience/lack of knowledge really shows if you think its the same today(LOL)
    Come back when you have some facts

  4. #104
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    03-29-20 @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    48,387
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    The radical fringe libertarians that have subverted republicanism and replaced it with a pall of evangelical horse**** concealing a truly radical property supremacists movement has completely commandeered right wing think now.

    These folks believe a fringe interpretation of the constitution, a restriction of collective power, and an evisceration of the rights of the majority as a voting bloc.

    Go read Democracy in Chains.
    As readers may recall, Democracy in Chains by Duke History Professor Nancy MacLean is a very badly-flawed account of the life, career, and influence of the late Nobel Prize winning economist, James Buchanan. Despite the fact that the book has been shown to be replete with errors, exaggerations, and misinterpretations, it was a finalist for a National Book Award and more recently received honors from the Los Angeles Times. Most disturbingly, despite serious allegations of academic malfeaseance, MacLean is the plenary speaker at the AAUP's annual conference this Fall.

    MacLean has refused to respond to any of the substantive critiques of the book, beyond to claim that her critics are almost all somehow associated with the Charles Koch Foundation, and thus somehow tainted. (In the book, she grossly exaggerates the influence of Buchanan on Koch, but the critics do not focus on that point, as there are so many other errors to deal with.)

    A review by Alain Marciano of Université de Montpellier and Jean-Baptiste Fleury of the University of Cergy-Pontoise, forthcoming in the Journal of Economic Literature should, but almost certainly won't, be the final nail in the book's coffin:
    Another Devastating Review of “Democracy in Chains” – Reason.com

    I'll pass on reading garbage.
    Socialism: "Why work hard when you can have Government give it to you for free!" -Bernie 2020

  5. #105
    Sage

    Luther's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    07-09-20 @ 06:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,569

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    You can hate the facts....

    But they remain facts. Lol
    I have a feeling that, If I say stop, you say go

    If I say up, you say down

    (LOL)
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    03-29-20 @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    48,387
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    The radical fringe libertarians that have subverted republicanism and replaced it with a pall of evangelical horse**** concealing a truly radical property supremacists movement has completely commandeered right wing think now.

    These folks believe a fringe interpretation of the constitution, a restriction of collective power, and an evisceration of the rights of the majority as a voting bloc.

    Go read Democracy in Chains.
    MacLean seems not to notice Brown is itself an example of the phenomenon MacLean is denouncing: a Constitution being used to overrule a democratic outcome in the name of protecting a minority.

    It's an awkward start for a baroque conspiracy story, and it signals what a mess the book will be. The historian has little to no evidence for her history. She invents some when necessary, and will at times just make assertions to suit her narrative, mustering neither real nor phony evidence to back them up. Many of her factual and interpretive errors have already been covered elsewhere, in venues ranging from Vox to The Washington Post. Rather than get lost in the weeds of covering every false statement or misleadingly gerrymandered quotation in this book, I want to focus here on the core claims that it gets wrong:

    MacLean fundamentally misunderstands Buchanan's intellectual project, treating his theories about politics as an apologia for the wealthy and powerful. This gives short shrift to a serious body of thought, and it fails to see that his arguments can indict the wealthy as much as anyone else.
    What Nancy MacLean Gets Wrong About James Buchanan – Reason.com
    Socialism: "Why work hard when you can have Government give it to you for free!" -Bernie 2020

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63,379

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    I have a feeling that, If I say stop, you say go

    If I say up, you say down

    (LOL)
    If I say the facts....you deny and run. Lol

  8. #108
    Sage

    Luther's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    07-09-20 @ 06:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,569

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas giants View Post
    Come back when you have some facts


    I aim to please(LOL)


    Here ya go buddy!


    In his January 1964 State of the Union address, President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed, “This administration today, here and now, declares unconditional war on poverty in America.” In the 50 years since that time, U.S. taxpayers have spent over $22 trillion on anti-poverty programs. Adjusted for inflation, this spending (which does not include Social Security or Medicare) is three times the cost of all U.S. military wars since the American Revolution. Yet progress against poverty, as measured by the U.S. Census Bureau, has been minimal, and in terms of President Johnson’s main goal of reducing the “causes” rather than the mere “consequences” of poverty, the War on Poverty has failed completely. In fact, a significant portion of the population is now less capable of self-sufficiency than it was when the War on Poverty began.
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  9. #109
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    18,980

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    And this "European enlightenment" is the same socialist Europe of today?(LOL)
    Yes of course. It's also what the government of the United States was built on.

    Some humility, openness to ideas, willingness to be a student and learn stuff, is not a bad thing. Arrogant people don't usually do well in the long run.
    Last edited by ataraxia; 06-12-19 at 09:39 AM.

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63,379

    Re: Is conservatism selfishness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    I aim to please(LOL)


    Here ya go buddy!
    Please run from this question


    Can you name a current successful.country without welfare or social.programs?


    Watch this folks. Lol

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •