Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 128

Thread: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

  1. #21
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    238

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by pilot16 View Post
    I agree but I see the democratic party at a crossroads. We are coming near the end of the baby boomer generation and the millennials are exploding onto the scene. So the Ds need to decide, do they want to become a left progressive party and appeal to that new base? Or try to bring over center right and independents and continue to be more of a Third Way party? Its a risk either way really. But one thing we do know is appealing to right leaning voters isnt a guaranteed, as soon as a decent GOP candidate comes around they swing back. Trump will be gone eventually and the Ds need to figure out how to react to a new generation.
    Exactly, Dems are relying too much on opposing Trump.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    31,804

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    Are there any non-progressive/socialist Dems running?
    Amy klobucher immediately comes to mind. Biden is relatively mainstream as Dems go, and quite a bit right of the progressive wing. Rather than a young Beto bringing in new blood, I was hoping a young Connor Lamb might come along.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  3. #23
    Educator pilot16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    749

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The people as a whole want sincerity and energy. They want to be shown that they're not taken for granted. Democratic candidates gave them those things and took back the House as a result.
    But they took back the House because centrist and right leaning people (mostly female)didnt like who the GOP ran. However if they run newer people next time they might reconsider. They certainly wont vote for someone too far left which is why the progressives only won in predominantly blue areas. Purple areas swung hard for Blue dogs and moderates.

  4. #24
    Student
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    238

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by pilot16 View Post
    But they took back the House because centrist and right leaning people (mostly female)didnt like who the GOP ran. However if they run newer people next time they might reconsider. They certainly wont vote for someone too far left which is why the progressives only won in predominantly blue areas. Purple areas swung hard for Blue dogs and moderates.
    If anything the last election was a repudiation of the progressive wing of the party, which made me increasingly skeptical that Sanders or anyone else could pull it off. Especially if for some reason Trump is not in the equation. Kasich versus Sanders would I think be an easy victory for Kasich.

  5. #25
    Educator pilot16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    749

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueScotsman View Post
    Exactly, Dems are relying too much on opposing Trump.
    Dems will win the popular vote again easily. Maybe even by a bigger margin than the 3 million Hillary did. But electorally? Thats a tough one. They will still need to run a centrist. A far left progressive isnt going to cut it. By 2020 we should know whats inside the Mueller report and that will be a biggie. There still are too many unknowns.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    31,804

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If they're smart, they'll understand that those things are quite literally the same. If they vote for "ideological purity" like they did in 2016 then they'll end up having neither.

    But again, it's more useful to learn from the success of 2018 than rehashing 2016 for the eight-trillionth time.
    What would you say to Biden-Harris, with Biden swearing to one term?

    (my gut feeling says you'd prefer a progressive at the top)
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  7. #27
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,982

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by pilot16 View Post
    But they took back the House because centrist and right leaning people (mostly female)didnt like who the GOP ran. However if they run newer people next time they might reconsider. They certainly wont vote for someone too far left which is why the progressives only won in predominantly blue areas. Purple areas swung hard for Blue dogs and moderates.
    That's a glass-half-empty perspective. A glass-half-full perspective is that they liked the Democratic candidate and what they were running on better.

  8. #28
    Educator pilot16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    749

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Amy klobucher immediately comes to mind. Biden is relatively mainstream as Dems go, and quite a bit right of the progressive wing. Rather than a young Beto bringing in new blood, I was hoping a young Connor Lamb might come along.
    Klobuchar and Biden are probably the most moderate so far.

  9. #29
    Educator pilot16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:03 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    749

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueScotsman View Post
    If anything the last election was a repudiation of the progressive wing of the party, which made me increasingly skeptical that Sanders or anyone else could pull it off. Especially if for some reason Trump is not in the equation. Kasich versus Sanders would I think be an easy victory for Kasich.
    Absolutely. I can attest to that as several of my GOP friends voted for democrats for the first time in their lives. Yet they still havent written Trump off for 2020. They like a few dems but are fearful of Sanders or Warren. They also would vote for Howard Schultz in a heartbeat if he ran as an indie.

  10. #30
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,982

    Re: Where is the Democratic Party Really At?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    What would you say to Biden-Harris, with Biden swearing to one term?

    (my gut feeling says you'd prefer a progressive at the top)
    I'd say that's cool, but don't put too much meaning into that since, and I must re-emphasize, I will vote for quite literally any human being that wins the Democratic Primary. Tulsi Gabbard is my least favorite candidate, but if she won the Primary I'd canvas neighborhoods for her with zero reservation.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •