Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

  1. #21
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    31,793

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    So true, and so sad. It is a giant scam. Based on the myth that a college degree increases your earning potential and makes you middle class. NO. Being middle class (or higher) increases your earning potential and makes you more likely to have a college degree (reverse causality).

    It's similar to the real estate scam that caused the financial collapse. Owning a home makes you middle class. NO. Being middle class makes you more able to own a home.

    Anyway, thank you Trump for having some common sense. How come our brilliant law professor president never thought of anything like this?
    You lost me here, with the bolded. Are you saying first one lands a middle-class job, then they earn their degree?
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  2. #22
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    31,793

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    We don't want students getting 3.5 year non degrees. So when it's decided to raise tuition, loans get out in front of it. College loans are not as much based on dollars as credits.
    What?

    Do you know how many kids do their FAFSAs and get loans and grants their freshman year? I'm fairly certain at most universities it's the majority, even though I have no stats at hand.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  3. #23
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    31,793

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiechan View Post
    For example, just make the schools guarantee 25% of the principal.

    We have students graduating with degrees in "underwater basket weaving" and a 150K student loan burden.
    I was thinking the same. But you'd have to assure the student bears serious brunt of burden, so as not to make an easy default.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  4. #24
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    83,529

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    What?

    Do you know how many kids do their FAFSAs and get loans and grants their freshman year? I'm fairly certain at most universities it's the majority, even though I have no stats at hand.
    I've done plenty of college loans and have been informed of the process by those who do it. Mine were yearly, but we avoid problems.

  5. #25
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    12,839

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Ahhh, that doesn't seem to solve the issue either.... all you are doing is distributing the cost elsewhere... not lowering the cost. Tuition for universities used to cost significantly less, and I don't think you are addressing WHY....
    By moving most of the cost of administration to the state it becomes public interest, the state government has motivation to control costs or at the very least more transparent. And by reducing the money available to private universities they will be forced to cut costs to attract students away from the public system.
    Days Since Last Trump Twitter Tantrum: 0

  6. #26
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    12,839

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Publicly financed community college is such a no brainer, I'm at a loss to understand why it's not implemented.

    I'm a huge fan of community colleges. They might not be for everybody, but the are the right fit for many. They're local, small, easy to navigate, and a helluva' good value!
    What you describe exists in Quebec, it is called CEGEP. Instead of Grade 12 they go to CEGEP for two years.
    Days Since Last Trump Twitter Tantrum: 0

  7. #27
    User reflechissez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Wakanda
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    113

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
    So true, and so sad. It is a giant scam. Based on the myth that a college degree increases your earning potential and makes you middle class. NO. Being middle class (or higher) increases your earning potential and makes you more likely to have a college degree (reverse causality).

    It's similar to the real estate scam that caused the financial collapse. Owning a home makes you middle class. NO. Being middle class makes you more able to own a home.

    Anyway, thank you Trump for having some common sense. How come our brilliant law professor president never thought of anything like this?
    Having a college degree DOES increase your earning potential. How can you BE middle class without having a middle class income? It's not conferred upon you because of your parents. You have to do it yourself.

  8. #28
    Sage
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,534

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    By moving most of the cost of administration to the state it becomes public interest, the state government has motivation to control costs or at the very least more transparent. And by reducing the money available to private universities they will be forced to cut costs to attract students away from the public system.
    LOL.... when has the state government EVER been motivated to cut costs? Giving it access to a larger pool of less accountable money does NOT solve a bloating problem.

    I mean.... that is like the number one thing they known to be reluctant to do xD government programs and administration is notorious for it's terrible efficiency and monetary decisions.




    What you need to do, is cut University administration by 90%...... that's right.... 90%.... and you can even increase the amount of professors on payroll. And return to the times where the actual professors have to organize and administrate everything.

  9. #29
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    12,839

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    LOL.... when has the state government EVER been motivated to cut costs? Giving it access to a larger pool of less accountable money does NOT solve a bloating problem.

    I mean.... that is like the number one thing they known to be reluctant to do xD government programs and administration is notorious for it's terrible efficiency and monetary decisions.




    What you need to do, is cut University administration by 90%...... that's right.... 90%.... and you can even increase the amount of professors on payroll. And return to the times where the actual professors have to organize and administrate everything.
    When they are trying to cut budgets cutting university administration is usually a key target, at least here because they are usually not union unlike most government employees so they are government employees you can easily get rid of to try and balance the budget. Also if the university is left up to itself to cut costs it will usually trim administration as well.
    Last edited by Carjosse; 03-14-19 at 11:09 PM.
    Days Since Last Trump Twitter Tantrum: 0

  10. #30
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    03-21-19 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    37

    Re: Student Loans: Trump wants colleges to have skin in student loan debt game

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    I think this is more tackling the symptoms rather the problem. It doesn't solve the cost problem in the first place.
    The only problem is that taxpayers are left holding worthless notes from student loan debt. A liberal arts degree isn't exactly useless, but in the real world, it's not going to land you a job.
    The most a liberal arts degree is going to do is give you the ability to ruminate on esoteric philosophical dilemmas like Euthyphro while flipping burgers at McDonalds. It's not an entirely useless endeavor, but certainly not something taxpayers should have to shoulder.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •