Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 257

Thread: Why Socialism Fails

  1. #1
    Sage
    veritas1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Old Line State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,438

    Why Socialism Fails

    A good article detailing why the Soviet system failed and why any similar system will fail. As he says, the problem isn't the jockey but the horse.



    Why Socialism Fails | Hoover Institution

  2. #2
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    22,877

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Quote Originally Posted by veritas1 View Post
    A good article detailing why the Soviet system failed and why any similar system will fail. As he says, the problem isn't the jockey but the horse.



    Why Socialism Fails | Hoover Institution
    Could the article be any more obvious that it doesn't have the slightest clue about the difference between authoritarian socialism and democratic socialism? This isn't rocket science. This is a distinction that a child can learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    My credibility does not matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  3. #3
    Sage
    veritas1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Old Line State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,438

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Could the article be any more obvious that it doesn't have the slightest clue about the difference between authoritarian socialism and democratic socialism? This isn't rocket science. This is a distinction that a child can learn.
    There is no difference other than the name attached to it. Central planning is central planning and the left has become enamored of it to a great degree. This is a discussion of the economics of it. The totalitarianism is a necessary adjunct to force people to comply, whether the plans are failing or not.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    18,661

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Yes, his broad brush of socialism bad! was also extend to other economic types:

    Gorbachev failed because the core of the Soviet planned system was rotten Despite his reform inclinations, he remained a believer in socialism. He was determined to save Soviet socialism by making it more like capitalism. In so doing, he created an economy that was neither planned nor a market—a chaotic free-for-all, which the Russian people regrettably associate to this day with that they came to call “wild capitalism
    Hey Gregory, the U.S. is also a mixed economy, neither planned nor a market. Did your mind just get blown?
    A mixed economy is variously defined as an economic system blending elements of market economies with elements of planned economics, free markets with state interventionism, or private enterprise with public enterprise.
    Oh noes! The U.S. economy has been liburalized!! Damn socialism infected us!!!

    Posting some opinion propaganda without really citing some particular claim you're intrigued with, etc., to me just looks like you're pushing anti-liberal propaganda, using socialism as a broad brush, just like most absurd right-wing nutters do.

    So if we're debating if that's a good article, I agree with Phys251, it's absurd and not worth a read.

  5. #5
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-19 @ 07:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,611

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Here comes the "venezuela QED" posts.
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    22,877

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Quote Originally Posted by veritas1 View Post
    There is no difference other than the name attached to it.
    And there it is. A point-blank admission that you have no clue what you're talking about.

    Let me help you. There is a massive difference between the authoritarian socialism of the USSR and China (which has become more capitalist) and the democratic socialism of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc. Notice how the article completely left out any mention of the latter examples? It's as if you and the article writer don't want us to experience more wealth parity, less poverty, more education parity, a greener economy, a healthcare system that doesn't bankrupt people when they get sick, and other such horrible things. Makes one wonder why you don't want that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    My credibility does not matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  7. #7
    Sage
    veritas1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Old Line State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,438

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    And there it is. A point-blank admission that you have no clue what you're talking about.

    Let me help you. There is a massive difference between the authoritarian socialism of the USSR and China (which has become more capitalist) and the democratic socialism of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc. Notice how the article completely left out any mention of the latter examples? It's as if you and the article writer don't want us to experience more wealth parity, less poverty, more education parity, a greener economy, a healthcare system that doesn't bankrupt people when they get sick, and other such horrible things. Makes one wonder why you don't want that.
    Norway, Sweden and Denmark are capitalist countries despite what the left says. They are also not very useful as comparisons to the US due to population size, etc. Your assumptions that we will experience "more wealth parity, less poverty, etc, etc," are also unproven claims and where central planning has been tried, it is an abject failure. Look at Venezuela. Nobody is claiming that it is a Communist country, however, it tried to employ many of the same concepts the left champions now. The only thing we will have, as Churchill said, is "the equal sharing of misery".

  8. #8
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon


    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,643
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    And there it is. A point-blank admission that you have no clue what you're talking about.

    Let me help you. There is a massive difference between the authoritarian socialism of the USSR and China (which has become more capitalist) and the democratic socialism of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc. Notice how the article completely left out any mention of the latter examples? It's as if you and the article writer don't want us to experience more wealth parity, less poverty, more education parity, a greener economy, a healthcare system that doesn't bankrupt people when they get sick, and other such horrible things. Makes one wonder why you don't want that.
    Its propaganda for people who think giving corporations a blank cheque to pollute, to screw over consumers and in the case of healthcare to provide as little care as possible for the highest price = Freedom.

    All so stockholders and fat cats get whats theirs.

    Republican voters have been brainwashed into believing that "pro-business" in the Republican context will lead them to prosperity, but all it is, the blank cheque of "deregulation" actually ends up hurting them in the end and they'll never realize it.

    Meanwhile the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    22,877

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Quote Originally Posted by veritas1 View Post
    Norway, Sweden and Denmark are capitalist countries despite what the left says. They are also not very useful as comparisons to the US due to population size, etc. Your assumptions that we will experience "more wealth parity, less poverty, etc, etc," are also unproven claims and where central planning has been tried, it is an abject failure. Look at Venezuela. Nobody is claiming that it is a Communist country, however, it tried to employ many of the same concepts the left champions now. The only thing we will have, as Churchill said, is "the equal sharing of misery".


    Democratic socialism - Wikipedia

    Democratic socialism is a political philosophy that advocates political democracy alongside social ownership of the means of production[1] with an emphasis on self-management and democratic management of economic institutions within a market or some form of decentralized planned socialist economy.[2]

    Like I said. No clue from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    My credibility does not matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  10. #10
    Sage
    veritas1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Old Line State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,438

    Re: Why Socialism Fails

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Yes, his broad brush of socialism bad! was also extend to other economic types:



    Hey Gregory, the U.S. is also a mixed economy, neither planned nor a market. Did your mind just get blown?


    Oh noes! The U.S. economy has been liburalized!! Damn socialism infected us!!!

    Posting some opinion propaganda without really citing some particular claim you're intrigued with, etc., to me just looks like you're pushing anti-liberal propaganda, using socialism as a broad brush, just like most absurd right-wing nutters do.

    So if we're debating if that's a good article, I agree with Phys251, it's absurd and not worth a read.
    Because the point of it escapes you, doesn't make it a bad article. The point is that central planning will fail, period. Yet, the left wants as much central planning as possible.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •