Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 148

Thread: President Trump makes a compelling argument

  1. #1
    Classical Liberal

    trixare4kids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    S. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,766

    President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Agree? Disagree? If the latter, document why DJT does not make a compelling case for border enforcements;/barriers/wall/steel slats.

    Conflating the argument with he's a "Russian spy" or a bloated orange buffoon does not count as a compelling argument. IOW, don't derail this thread with the usual sophomoric, anti-Trump banter.



    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

    23% of Federal inmates are illegal immigrants. Border arrests are up 240%. In the Great State of Texas, between 2011 & 2018, there were a total of 292,000 crimes by illegal aliens, 539 murders, 32,000 assaults, 3,426 sexual assaults and 3000 weapons charges. Democrats come back!



    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...98258534891521

  2. #2
    Professor
    Airyaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    AL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,409

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Try google. That's what I did, 2nd link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8725026.html

  3. #3
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,768

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Airyaman View Post
    Try google. That's what I did, 2nd link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8725026.html
    The Texas Department of Public Safety reports that between June 2011 to December 2018, undocumented immigrants account for 120,000 convictions.


    Out of the “539 murders” Mr Trump cited, only 238 resulted in convictions. Of the “32,000 assaults” and “3,426 sexual assaults”, only 13,599 and 1,689 were convicted respectively.

    As for the “3000 weapons charges”, there were actually fewer than 2,500 charges brought and only 1,280 were convicted.
    Just to be clear, when do the numbers matter to you? How many victims do we need for it to "count"?

  4. #4
    Professor
    Airyaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    AL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,409

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Just to be clear, when do the numbers matter to you? How many victims do we need for it to "count"?
    Put up a wall.

    It will not appreciably reduce violent crime in America.

    Show me how I am wrong.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,246

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Just to be clear, when do the numbers matter to you? How many victims do we need for it to "count"?
    Proponents of gun control have been asking people who identify politically similarly to you that very question for years.

    Tell me, if you think "539 murders" is enough to justify spending billions on a "solution" many experts agree will not solve the very problem it is supposed to address, then shouldn't the over 11,000 homicides by firearm be enough to suggest a much greater national emergency and a much greater response?

  6. #6
    Classical Liberal

    trixare4kids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    S. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,766

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Airyaman View Post
    Try google. That's what I did, 2nd link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8725026.html
    You mean your source that says some of the figures are correct or close to correct?

    The author of your article mangled what the president wrote to deliberately mislead the reader by conflating and obfuscating.

    Glad I could help!

  7. #7
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,768

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Airyaman View Post
    Put up a wall.

    It will not appreciably reduce violent crime in America.

    Show me how I am wrong.
    There is no way to do so without evidence. Evidence comes from finding out by building it.

    Here is some anecdotal evidence for you, however: https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

    In fact, the number of deportable illegal immigrants located by the US Border Patrol plummeted by more than 89 percent over the five-year period during which the controversial new fence was built, according to Homeland Security data I reviewed. When the project first started in 2006, illegal crossings totaled 122,261, but by 2010, when the 131-mile fence was completed from one end of El Paso out into the New Mexico desert, immigrant crossings shrank to just 12,251
    Before 2010, federal data show the border city was mired in violent crime and drug smuggling, thanks in large part to illicit activities spilling over from the Mexican side. Once the fence went up, however, things changed almost overnight. El Paso since then has consistently topped rankings for cities of 500,000 residents or more with low crime rates, based on FBI-collected statistics. The turnaround even caught the attention of former Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and other Obama administration officials, who touted it as one of the nation’s safest cities while citing the beefed-up border security there.

  8. #8
    Conservatarian Guru Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,420

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    Agree? Disagree? If the latter, document why DJT does not make a compelling case for border enforcements;/barriers/wall/steel slats.

    Conflating the argument with he's a "Russian spy" or a bloated orange buffoon does not count as a compelling argument. IOW, don't derail this thread with the usual sophomoric, anti-Trump banter.



    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

    23% of Federal inmates are illegal immigrants. Border arrests are up 240%. In the Great State of Texas, between 2011 & 2018, there were a total of 292,000 crimes by illegal aliens, 539 murders, 32,000 assaults, 3,426 sexual assaults and 3000 weapons charges. Democrats come back!



    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...98258534891521
    But, trix, EVERYONE knows the only reason Trump wants better border security is because his mentor Putin longs for the days of the Berlin Wall. He probably is disappointed that we're not planning on guard towers every 100 feet so we can machine gun the saintly illegals before they can put up their ladders or dig their tunnels just like in Vlad's KGB days.

  9. #9
    Professor
    Airyaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    AL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,409

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    You mean your source that says some of the figures are correct – or close to correct?

    The author of your article mangled what the president wrote to deliberately mislead the reader by conflating and obfuscating.

    Glad I could help!
    Your source for such an accusation is...yourself?

  10. #10
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,768

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Proponents of gun control have been asking people who identify politically similarly to you that very question for years.

    Tell me, if you think "539 murders" is enough to justify spending billions on a "solution" many experts agree will not solve the very problem it is supposed to address, then shouldn't the over 11,000 homicides by firearm be enough to suggest a much greater national emergency and a much greater response?
    Does the topic look like gun control to you?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •