Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 229

Thread: President Trump makes a compelling argument

  1. #31
    Conservatarian Guru Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,528

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Yes, I am. I've already explained this. Please stop posting lies.
    It's really not, it's exposing the hypocrisy of this obviously insincere argument about safety.

    The same people who shrug their shoulders when 20 first graders are murdered in their classroom, when 11,000 Americans die from guns in a year, suddenly are so very concerned about 539 murders. It's a lie. It's not about the crime, it's about some other factor. And since the same people chanting for a wall seem totally cool with immigration from countries where the people look like them, it sure does seem as if skin color has a lot to do with it.

    It's not a red herring, one just has to be intelligent enough to understand the point of the argument. If 539 murders really was a "compelling argument", as put forth by several in this thread, then 11,000 murders should be as well. But, for those people who want to talk about 539 murders, the 11,000 is a number with which they seem unconcerned.

    It's not a red herring, it's about pointing out insincerity and hypocrisy.
    Nope. Every time you claim my post is not on topic, it is not honest.

    Like I said, intellectual honesty is difficult for some people.
    A whole school of red herring. Not to mention a few appeals to emotion, false equivalencies, and a touch of personal attacks. Well done - a virtual smorgasbord of logical fallacies. Well done.

  2. #32
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,795

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Yes, I am. I've already explained this. Please stop posting lies.
    It's really not, it's exposing the hypocrisy of this obviously insincere argument about safety.

    The same people who shrug their shoulders when 20 first graders are murdered in their classroom, when 11,000 Americans die from guns in a year, suddenly are so very concerned about 539 murders. It's a lie. It's not about the crime, it's about some other factor. And since the same people chanting for a wall seem totally cool with immigration from countries where the people look like them, it sure does seem as if skin color has a lot to do with it.

    It's not a red herring, one just has to be intelligent enough to understand the point of the argument. If 539 murders really was a "compelling argument", as put forth by several in this thread, then 11,000 murders should be as well. But, for those people who want to talk about 539 murders, the 11,000 is a number with which they seem unconcerned.

    It's not a red herring, it's about pointing out insincerity and hypocrisy.
    Nope. Every time you claim my post is not on topic, it is not honest.

    Like I said, intellectual honesty is difficult for some people.
    Are you making the claim I am dishonest? Because it sure seems that way...

  3. #33
    Professor
    Airyaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    AL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is still evidence. Maybe you could try to discuss why it is or isn't a good thing crime plummeted in El Paso after they built a wall...
    So the only thing they did was build a wall, and nothing else, and then magic happened?

  4. #34
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,795

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Airyaman View Post
    So the only thing they did was build a wall, and nothing else, and then magic happened?
    I mean its really predictable, but did you even read it?

  5. #35
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,252

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    A whole school of red herring.
    If you don't understand fallacies, don't accuse them. Just because you don't want to talk about something doesn't make it a red herring. I am discussing this very topic which, by the very definition of a red herring, means my statement is not.

    Either reply honestly or not. Your choice. My argument is quite simple, which is the argument put forth by the OP is insincere and hypocritical. To make that argument, I provide context.

    Just because you cannot refute the validity of my argument, don't go around falsely accusing fallacies you clearly do not understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Are you making the claim I am dishonest?


    Once again, you refuse to respond to my question. I am not surprised.

  6. #36
    Conservatarian Guru Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    6,528

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    If you don't understand fallacies, don't accuse them. Just because you don't want to talk about something doesn't make it a red herring. I am discussing this very topic which, by the very definition of a red herring, means my statement is not.

    Either reply honestly or not. Your choice. My argument is quite simple, which is the argument put forth by the OP is insincere and hypocritical. To make that argument, I provide context.

    Just because you cannot refute the validity of my argument, don't go around falsely accusing fallacies you clearly do not understand.


    Once again, you refuse to respond to my question. I am not surprised.
    "accuse" fallacies? WTF are you talking about?

  7. #37
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    Agree? Disagree? If the latter, document why DJT does not make a compelling case for border enforcements;/barriers/wall/steel slats.
    1. If the case of the wall is to have less crime in the US, then we should OPEN the borders. Statistics show that immigrants (both legal and not) commit much FEWER crimes than native-born American. Here is just one example and you can find many more:

    the rate per 100,000 residents in each subpopulation was 899 for undocumented immigrants, 611 for legal immigrants and 1,797 for native-born Americans
    So a country composed of immigrants would have REDUCED the crime rate in fact.

    2. Is border wall the MOST COST EFFECTIVE way to prevent illegal immigration? That's not answered by Trump's tweet even though many would argue that it's not. In some places (e.g. those to large cities) a wall is effective (and that's why we have it there). In other places, terrain itself is a large deterrent already and other means are more effective.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,334

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    Agree? Disagree? If the latter, document why DJT does not make a compelling case for border enforcements;/barriers/wall/steel slats.

    Conflating the argument with he's a "Russian spy" or a bloated orange buffoon does not count as a compelling argument. IOW, don't derail this thread with the usual sophomoric, anti-Trump banter.



    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

    23% of Federal inmates are illegal immigrants. Border arrests are up 240%. In the Great State of Texas, between 2011 & 2018, there were a total of 292,000 crimes by illegal aliens, 539 murders, 32,000 assaults, 3,426 sexual assaults and 3000 weapons charges. Democrats come back!



    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...98258534891521
    Given his record, why would anyone believe any stats Trump offers on this topic? He comes to the table with unclean hands.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,686

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    Agree? Disagree? If the latter, document why DJT does not make a compelling case for border enforcements;/barriers/wall/steel slats.

    Conflating the argument with he's a "Russian spy" or a bloated orange buffoon does not count as a compelling argument. IOW, don't derail this thread with the usual sophomoric, anti-Trump banter.



    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

    23% of Federal inmates are illegal immigrants. Border arrests are up 240%. In the Great State of Texas, between 2011 & 2018, there were a total of 292,000 crimes by illegal aliens, 539 murders, 32,000 assaults, 3,426 sexual assaults and 3000 weapons charges. Democrats come back!



    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...98258534891521


    Statistically, on a per capita basis, natural born citizens commit more crimes than illegals.

    That makes the entire argument not compelling, and, in fact, it nullifies it completely.
    For the best Trump impression visit: Non Political discussions>Off topic discussion>on the lighter side

  10. #40
    InnKeeper Most Pleasant
    PleasantValley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Henderson, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,915
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: President Trump makes a compelling argument

    Quote Originally Posted by Airyaman View Post
    Put up a wall.

    It will not appreciably reduce violent crime in America.

    Show me how I am wrong.
    This thread is not about violent crime in America.
    It is about illegals committing violent crimes.

    A CONCRETE wall WILL significantly decrease illegal aliens coming here.
    That in itself will reduce crimes committed by them.
    There's battle lines being drawn. Nobody's right, if everybody's wrong....Buffalo Springfield.
    There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy. There's just you and me and we just disagree....Dave Mason

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •