Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 131

Thread: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

  1. #71
    It's the Despair Quotient
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,146
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The Wall is a great idea...
    Opinion from an outsider

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    it promotes stability businesses and community.
    unsupported

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It helps with legal immigration. It reduces illegal immigration by as much as 95%.
    unsupported by any facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    More importantly though... why are you swearing at New Zeland?
    Reading comprehension problem, I was swearing at the fact that you sitting there IN NZ don't know ****-all what you're talking about.
    "The Left ones think I'm Right, the Right ones think I'm wrong."
    Leon Russell - Magic Mirror

  2. #72
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:10 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    73,266

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Opinion from an outsider
    Lived in S. California for 35 years actually... south of Los Angeles... I guess that makes me more an expert than you. In fact, I am sitting here right now in Orange County.

    unsupported
    The Wall would stop almost half of the illegal immigrants from south of the border...

    unsupported by any facts
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-b...-claim-review/

    Reading comprehension problem, I was swearing at the fact that you sitting there IN NZ don't know ****-all what you're talking about.
    I worked with and taught plenty of illegal immigrants... and when you say "****ing New Zealand" you are swearing at/about New Zealand. If you were talking about where I was sitting you would say, "You are ****ing sitting there in New Zealand" so no, I don't have a reading comprehension problem... but you DO have a communicating effectively problem...

  3. #73
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-15-19 @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,521

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    You due understand that the Tarrifs are paid by Americans?
    Due?
    Just like the tarrifs placed on us by the Chinese are paid by the Chinese right? iLOL


    Oh and then there's that pesky (it isn't signed) point that makes you wrong as per usual.[/QUOTE]
    Wrong a usual.
    1. It is like you do not understand the language you are using.
    It has been signed. Had you used approved, you would have been accurate.
    That is a bargaining chip the Dems could use to get Trump to back off of the wall demand but they clearly have no interest in anything but opposition to Trump.

    2. It not being signed yet does not make my argument wrong.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #74
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-15-19 @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,521

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The goalpost has always been "Trump said Mexico would pay for the wall" and that from day one he meant an actual, cash payment. Not this stuff about "well we'll get better trade deals so they're indirectly paying for it."

    That's it. That has always been the goalpost for me. You may have interpreted "write a check" to mean a literal, physical, bank check and therefore liberals are wrong. That's a really, really stupid interpretation.
    Not only are you wrong but you are being dishonest as well.
    He never said they would write a check. Period. Saying he said they would is a deliberate untruth.

    Indirect methods have always been part of what has been suggested.



    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You don't get to ****in decide what my position is.
    Stop with the bs.
    You know damn well you are in the wrong here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    "Taking" remittances? I don't recall mass theft being suggested.
    What do you think the first suggestions were in the pdf you linked to were about? FFS Now you display that you don't even know the information you provided and are attempting to use in argument.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The link I provided literally had Mexico paying $5-10 billion. "A one-time payment" mean something different to you?
    Oy vey! Really? The link you provided suggests an indirect method. Do you really not understand that?

    Apparently you do not understand that saying it is easy decision for Mexico to make a one-time payment verses losing more money by another way is not saying they will?
    Why do you not understand these things? TDS is apparently the only answer.



    And again. What do you not understand about the difference between the words may and will?
    It is not "will" write a check.
    Like I already said; Just stop and go away. You have yet to make a valid, let alone on-point argument
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #75
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    60,118

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Not only are you wrong but you are being dishonest as well.
    He never said they would write a check. Period. Saying he said they would is a deliberate untruth.

    Indirect methods have always been part of what has been suggested.



    Stop with the bs.
    You know damn well you are in the wrong here.


    What do you think the first suggestions were in the pdf you linked to were about? FFS Now you display that you don't even know the information you provided and are attempting to use in argument.


    Oy vey! Really? The link you provided suggests an indirect method. Do you really not understand that?

    Apparently you do not understand that saying it is easy decision for Mexico to make a one-time payment verses losing more money by another way is not saying they will?
    Why do you not understand these things? TDS is apparently the only answer.



    And again. What do you not understand about the difference between the words may and will?
    It is not "will" write a check.
    Like I already said; Just stop and go away. You have yet to make a valid, let alone on-point argument
    All of those suggestions were methods to coerce Mexico into making a direct cash transfer. It's right there in the opening paragraph.

    The reason that this is important is that it proves that all along the campaign Donald Trump was referring to direct cash transfer as his main goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you sure? Race is the only difference between Swedish socialism and Venezualan socialism.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-15-19 @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,521

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    All of those suggestions were methods to coerce Mexico into making a direct cash transfer. It's right there in the opening paragraph.
    Suggestions to compel, not will compel. Not will write a check. A suggestion which also contains an indirect method.

    Do you still not want to admit you are wrong?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #77
    Guru
    MrPeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,197

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    I agree with a lot of the reasons provided to hold strong on refusing to fund the wall, but I always find myself coming back to one simple point. One large wall across the border will not accomplish what republicans claim they want to accomplish. At some point as a country we need to return to the idea that we should listen to experts. The wall is a political stunt that is hurting hundreds of thousands of working people, and I have yet to see an article that shows a significant amount of experts saying that it would work. The vast majority of illegal drugs come through legal points of entry, and the "chaos" that is being shrieked about on the right generally refers to those seeking asylum in accordance with our laws. Illegal immigration has been decreasing for years. Aside from those facts, democrats should hold strong in the face of authoritarianism as a general rule. The Senate has abdicated its personal responsibility on this issue, and so it is left to the House to defend our democracy.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Port Hadlock, WA
    Last Seen
    02-27-19 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,834

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Due?
    Just like the tarrifs placed on us by the Chinese are paid by the Chinese right? iLOL


    Oh and then there's that pesky (it isn't signed) point that makes you wrong as per usual.
    Wrong a usual.
    1. It is like you do not understand the language you are using.
    It has been signed. Had you used approved, you would have been accurate.
    That is a bargaining chip the Dems could use to get Trump to back off of the wall demand but they clearly have no interest in anything but opposition to Trump.

    2. It not being signed yet does not make my argument wrong.[/QUOTE]

    Sick with flu, but I still agree with myself if not my typos.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Port Hadlock, WA
    Last Seen
    02-27-19 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,834

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    I agree with a lot of the reasons provided to hold strong on refusing to fund the wall, but I always find myself coming back to one simple point. One large wall across the border will not accomplish what republicans claim they want to accomplish. At some point as a country we need to return to the idea that we should listen to experts. The wall is a political stunt that is hurting hundreds of thousands of working people, and I have yet to see an article that shows a significant amount of experts saying that it would work. The vast majority of illegal drugs come through legal points of entry, and the "chaos" that is being shrieked about on the right generally refers to those seeking asylum in accordance with our laws. Illegal immigration has been decreasing for years. Aside from those facts, democrats should hold strong in the face of authoritarianism as a general rule. The Senate has abdicated its personal responsibility on this issue, and so it is left to the House to defend our democracy.
    Experts won't alter trump's base's feelings, so ti won't have any effect. This is about emotion and a win, and failing that a mutual loss. Everyone who knows Trump knpws this. He doesn't give **** one about promises, only throwing meat to the base and not letting dems win anything at any cost. Typical sociopathic behavior and yet the base has no ethical concerns, only emotional ones.

  10. #80
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    60,118

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Suggestions to compel, not will compel. Not will write a check. A suggestion which also contains an indirect method.

    Do you still not want to admit you are wrong?
    He indicated this is what he wants to do. You can pretend otherwise all you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you sure? Race is the only difference between Swedish socialism and Venezualan socialism.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •