Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 131

Thread: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

  1. #21
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49,525

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I know. The Senate is part of Congress. Didn't state the reason he would not allow the vote is because he knows the President would not sign the bill.
    Which begs the question: do you think that McConnell, who has served in the Senate for 33 years, is aware that when 2/3rds of both chambers vote on a bill that they will override a Presidential veto?

  2. #22
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,904

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Which begs the question: do you think that McConnell, who has served in the Senate for 33 years, is aware that when 2/3rds of both chambers vote on a bill that they will override a Presidential veto?
    It begs the question if the votes are secured to override a veto by the President if one happens.
    "
    If we have data, let's look at the data. if all we have is opinions let's go with mine
    -barksdale
    "

  3. #23
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49,525

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    It begs the question if the votes are secured to override a veto by the President if one happens.
    The Senate has already voted 100-0 on the same bill last month, so McConnell knows that that chamber is not the issue.

    What he's doing is trying to draw blame away from Trump and onto himself. I can't argue to the benefit of spreading blame evenly throughout the President and Congressional Republicans, but whatever knocks hims out, I guess.

  4. #24
    Pissant for Years
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,335
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Play your little gas lighting game with someone else. Not interested.
    The other famous wannabe gas-lighter:

    "Tell me what's racist."

    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    I really like the 75% approval rating. It's so impressive when the left is defeated decisively. Brazil has several right wing parties, so there is no danger of a one party state.

  5. #25
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    58,713

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You might want to engage in actual argumentation - you know - where you present quotes of what was actually said and in context?
    https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

    Its on his own website
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you sure? Race is the only difference between Swedish socialism and Venezualan socialism.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    01-13-19 @ 07:50 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    34,815

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And again.

    You might want to engage in actual argumentation - you know - where you present quotes of what was actually said and in context?

    So exactly what is on his own site and how does that support your argument?
    Huh?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #27
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    58,713

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And again.

    You might want to engage in actual argumentation - you know - where you present quotes of what was actually said and in context?

    So exactly what is on his own site and how does that support your argument?
    Huh?
    It’s in the first goddamned paragraph. Stop pretending you are debating in good faith here.

    Introduction: The provision of the Patriot Act, Section 326 - the "know your customer" provision, compelling financial institutions to demand identity documents before opening accounts or conducting financial transactions is a fundamental element of the outline below. That section authorized the executive branch to issue detailed regulations on the subject, found at 31 CFR 130.120-121. It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5- 10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year. There are several ways to compel Mexico to pay for the wall including the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you sure? Race is the only difference between Swedish socialism and Venezualan socialism.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    01-13-19 @ 07:50 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    34,815

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It’s in the first goddamned paragraph. Stop pretending you are debating in good faith here.
    Well you got one part of debate correct.
    How about the others.
    What is your argument and just how in the heck does that information support your argument?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #29
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    58,713

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Well you got one part of debate correct.
    How about the others.
    What is your argument and just how in the heck does that information support your argument?
    ...Donald Trump is literally saying Mexico will send us money. This disproves the bull**** “he didn’t mean they’d write a check” narrative your are regurgitating.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you sure? Race is the only difference between Swedish socialism and Venezualan socialism.

  10. #30
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,396

    Re: Why Democrats can't agree to give Trump his wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    The other big reason why Democrats cannot cave in to Trump on this wall nonsense is even simpler.
    You don't reward hostage takers...especially if Trump is the one taking the hostages, unless you want to see more hostages every week from now on.

    If we reward Trump for taking hostages, he'll treat hostage taking the way a pubescent teenage boy treats his genitalia the moment he discovers masturbation.
    The primary reason. Not only Trump but any future President as well will have reason to believe shutting down the government is a means of empowerment.
    Last edited by JackA; 01-12-19 at 05:41 PM.
    "Though trees turn bare and girls turn wives, we shall afford our costly seasons."

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •