Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

  1. #1
    #TrumpShutdown
    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,784

    Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.


    Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)

    1/11/19
    By Sen. Tom Scott (R/SC)

    Over the past two years, Republicans have focused on spreading opportunity, and it has paid dividends: From the creation of opportunity zones in some of our nation’s most distressed communities to amazing job-creation statistics and low unemployment rates, there’s no doubt that the future is brightening for many Americans. However, we are often still struggling when it comes to civility and fairness. This was driven home once again Thursday as Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) wondered aloud: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” I will admit I am unsure who is offended by the term “Western civilization” on its own, but anyone who needs “white nationalist” or “white supremacist” defined, described and defended does lack some pretty common knowledge. Three months ago, a white supremacist killed two black people in a parking lot in Kentucky. We are only 18 months from Charlottesville, where white nationalists killed a white woman with a car and severely beat multiple black people. Almost four years ago, a white supremacist murdered nine African Americans in a church in Charleston, S.C. In 1998, white supremacists dragged James Byrd Jr., behind a pickup truck through Jasper, Tex., decapitating him in the process. These are just a sliver of the havoc that white nationalists and white supremacists have strewn across our nation for hundreds of years. Four little girls killed in a bombing in Birmingham, Ala., thousands lynched and countless hearts and minds turned cruel and hateful.

    When people with opinions similar to King’s open their mouths, they damage not only the Republican Party and the conservative brand but also our nation as a whole. They want to be treated with fairness for some perceived slights but refuse to return the favor to those on the other side. Some in our party wonder why Republicans are constantly accused of racism — it is because of our silence when things like this are said. King’s comments are not conservative views but separate views that should be ridiculed at every turn possible. Conservative principles mean equal opportunity for all to succeed, regardless of what you look like or where you are from. It is maddening to see so many folks who believe this and have only good intentions in their hearts tarnished by these radical perspectives. That is why silence is no longer acceptable. We have made significant progress in our nation, and while there is still work to do, we cannot let these intolerant and hateful views hold us back.
    This is not a one-off by Rep. King. He has traveled down the racist road many times. Two week ago Republicans were livid at the profanity of freshman House member Rashida Tlaib (D/MI) who said “we’re gonna impeach the motherf---er.” I hope these same Republicans have had enough of Rep. Steve King who is by no means new to the House. At a minimum, King should be officially censured.


    We are now in → Day 29 ← of the Donald Trump/Mitch McConnell government shutdown.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,809

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Hmm, feels like there's more to it than just silence on Steve King. Can't quite put my finger on it, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Scott
    We are only 18 months from Charlottesville, where white nationalists killed a white woman with a car and severely beat multiple black people.

  3. #3
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,378

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Hmm, feels like there's more to it than just silence on Steve King. Can't quite put my finger on it, though.



    Were Republicans silent on Trumps comments? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-react-bigotry

    And they're not silent on this King thing either. There's another thread dedicated to Ben Shapiro calling out King's comments as racist. And then there's this: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/politi...504170941.html

  4. #4
    Student
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    275

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Every time a republican argues with a democrat and is winning because of facts, the democrat calls the republican racist. Yup as soon as I hear the word racist from a democrat, I know I have won the argument.

    The word racist has been used by democrats so much, it is MEANINGLESS anymore.

  5. #5

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.


    Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)



    This is not a one-off by Rep. King. He has traveled down the racist road many times. Two week ago Republicans were livid at the profanity of freshman House member Rashida Tlaib (D/MI) who said “we’re gonna impeach the motherf---er.” I hope these same Republicans have had enough of Rep. Steve King who is by no means new to the House. At a minimum, King should be officially censured.
    Was Tlab censured? How many Democrats admonished her display of prejudice?

    Republicans should treat king's comments just like Democrats treated Tlabs.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon

    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,554
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    Was Tlab censured? How many Democrats admonished her display of prejudice?

    Republicans should treat king's comments just like Democrats treated Tlabs.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Equating a slightly more colorfully worded call for impeachment with... Saying that there's nothing offensive about White Nationalism...

    Y'Kay.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Valley View Post
    Tim Scott: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.


    Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa)



    This is not a one-off by Rep. King. He has traveled down the racist road many times. Two week ago Republicans were livid at the profanity of freshman House member Rashida Tlaib (D/MI) who said “we’re gonna impeach the motherf---er.” I hope these same Republicans have had enough of Rep. Steve King who is by no means new to the House. At a minimum, King should be officially censured.
    Duh. Dems. Why don't you practice what you preach? Why don't you censor Tlaib? Hum? Why don't you censor racism against whites? Why don't you censor sexism against men? Hum?
    "Elitism is not just for the rich and powerful. Elitism is everywhere. The cry of the 'Nouveau-elite' is: You can't be racist but I can be racist. You can't be sexist but I can be sexist. You can't be fascist but I can act like a fascist and fascism only happens on the right." 01/09/19

  8. #8
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,301

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    We are ****ing this all up, and stomping on the graves of the original civil rights leaders who did not want this outcome.

    Republicans are accused of racism because they at a minimum will accept the support of those who are racist, Democrats have abused the idea of dealing with racism to the point that they have developed a political agenda that pretty much requires racism to continue.

    Everyone discarded the original intentions to deal with racism, or any other social fault. Turn to inclusion and education.

    But modern liberalism is no more about inclusion than modern conservatism will ever be about education, and somewhere along the lines we took the idea of advancement and replaced it with political objectives.

    No one talks about dealing with racism by helping those who were brought up to be racist, we only talk about them in terms of "going away" and "censure."

    It is really no wonder that the social pendulum working hand in hand with the political pendulum has allowed for a platform that idiots like Steve King to capitalize on. What no one wants to talk about is Iowa has elected this lunatic 9 times, yet no one seems to be interested in dealing with the voter that seemingly does not care. No one is talking about why Iowa (let alone what to do about it) looks at Steve King as representing their values. No one is approaching them and suggesting an alternative that does not include white nationalism or prejudice. Scorn him all we want, but that ignores the underline problem as to why he is in Congress in the first place.

    We are ignoring education and paying the price now, which dishonors the original intentions of civil rights movements. Invoke change through reason and education, not isolation of the populace who simply turns around and passes to their next generation the same ideology the rest of us still have to deal with.

    Republicans end up becoming the home for racism, and they are not interested at all in doing something about it. That is why they will have to own this.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,809

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    No one talks about dealing with racism by helping those who were brought up to be racist, we only talk about them in terms of "going away" and "censure."
    Helping them what?

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Why are Republicans accused of racism? Because we’re silent on things like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    We are ****ing this all up, and stomping on the graves of the original civil rights leaders who did not want this outcome.

    Republicans are accused of racism because they at a minimum will accept the support of those who are racist, Democrats have abused the idea of dealing with racism to the point that they have developed a political agenda that pretty much requires racism to continue.

    Everyone discarded the original intentions to deal with racism, or any other social fault. Turn to inclusion and education.

    But modern liberalism is no more about inclusion than modern conservatism will ever be about education, and somewhere along the lines we took the idea of advancement and replaced it with political objectives.

    No one talks about dealing with racism by helping those who were brought up to be racist, we only talk about them in terms of "going away" and "censure."

    It is really no wonder that the social pendulum working hand in hand with the political pendulum has allowed for a platform that idiots like Steve King to capitalize on. What no one wants to talk about is Iowa has elected this lunatic 9 times, yet no one seems to be interested in dealing with the voter that seemingly does not care. No one is talking about why Iowa (let alone what to do about it) looks at Steve King as representing their values. No one is approaching them and suggesting an alternative that does not include white nationalism or prejudice. Scorn him all we want, but that ignores the underline problem as to why he is in Congress in the first place.

    We are ignoring education and paying the price now, which dishonors the original intentions of civil rights movements. Invoke change through reason and education, not isolation of the populace who simply turns around and passes to their next generation the same ideology the rest of us still have to deal with.

    Republicans end up becoming the home for racism, and they are not interested at all in doing something about it. That is why they will have to own this.
    Dems are racist against whites. Dems are sexist against men. Anti-fascists act like like fascists. Such BS. Tell us the truth, for once, dems. You have a 'soft reparations' agenda which you have devised and will stop at nothing to implement. MLKJR would probably be spinning in his grave if he could.
    "Elitism is not just for the rich and powerful. Elitism is everywhere. The cry of the 'Nouveau-elite' is: You can't be racist but I can be racist. You can't be sexist but I can be sexist. You can't be fascist but I can act like a fascist and fascism only happens on the right." 01/09/19

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •