Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79

Thread: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

  1. #11
    Engineer
    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American Refugee in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,715

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    No, most illegal immigrants do not come in through ports of entry, this is a lie. This statistic comes from the estimated number of visa overstays outnumbering the number of ARRESTS of people caught in the act of illegally crossing. A recent study from the center for migration studied pegs the percentage of the illegal alien population who overstayed visas to be 42% which is not “most”

    Also that percentage is totally irrelevant. If 99% of illegals were overstays it would be justified to build the wall to stop the one percent
    The 1 percent comment actually proves my point perfectly. To you it is completely irrelevant how effective or wasteful the wall is, it's purely a symbol that you want and you're willing to spend any amount necessary of other people's money. If you feel so strong about it, fork your own money out and stop demanding everyone else pay for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    How many Americans killed by illegal aliens in the US is too many, in your estimation? I ask because you seem to imply that we should just tolerate the current level of crime perpetrated by illegals and that to want something done about the problem, like simply enforcing current laws on immigration, is unreasonable.
    We know for you even 1 death would warrant tens of billions of wasted tax payer dollars. It's not too different from you ignoring the vast majority of terrorist acts that a are committed by white, right wing extremists while exaggerating yhe tiny minority that are committed by muslim extremists. You're not consistent.

  2. #12
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    45,683

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexedgar View Post
    That argument doesn’t hold water. If a community had low crime, why would they need over capacity; for example: armored vehicles, SWAT teams, and all the other “overkill.” I never stated that there should be no border security. This whole issue has developed as so many others do; it’s not black and white, but it has fallen along political lines and is “all-in or fold,” at this point.
    Why would adding a physical barrier to an area known to be a preferred crossing for illegal immigrants be "overkill"?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #13
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,493

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The 1 percent comment actually proves my point perfectly. To you it is completely irrelevant how effective or wasteful the wall is, it's purely a symbol that you want and you're willing to spend any amount necessary of other people's money. If you feel so strong about it, fork your own money out and stop demanding everyone else pay for it.



    We know for you even 1 death would warrant tens of billions of wasted tax payer dollars. It's not too different from you ignoring the vast majority of terrorist acts that a are committed by white, right wing extremists while exaggerating yhe tiny minority that are committed by muslim extremists. You're not consistent.
    The vast majority of terrorist acts are not caused by right wing extremists, this only comes by using dubious methodology and counting many acts where nobody is hurt, assuming motive when no ones been identified as a suspect, etc. Claiming terrorism for vandalism or regular criminal acts etc that’s a lie as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #14
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    47,016

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    No, most illegal immigrants do not come in through ports of entry, this is a lie. This statistic comes from the estimated number of visa overstays outnumbering the number of ARRESTS of people caught in the act of illegally crossing. A recent study from the center for migration studied pegs the percentage of the illegal alien population who overstayed visas to be 42% which is not “most”

    Also that percentage is totally irrelevant. If 99% of illegals were overstays it would be justified to build the wall to stop the one percent
    But a wall would stop zero percent of overstays. Holy fail.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #15
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    47,016

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    None as long as illegal voters vote D.

    If immigrant groups voted R then the Dems would’ve built a wall visible from space and played this “if it saves one life” line they use in relation to the second amendment
    Cuban immigrants in Florida have been a reliable Republican voting bloc for decades. Strike two.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #16
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    47,016

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    As to the OP, I’d posit that one reason border crossings have dropped has nothing to do with us. The journey has become so much more perilous on the Mexican side of the border that many don’t even attempt it.

    This is only a theory.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #17
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    10,493

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Cuban immigrants in Florida have been a reliable Republican voting bloc for decades. Strike two.
    Yeah and Obama ended wetfoot dryfoot and in the 80s right wing John Birch Republican Jimmy Carter was claiming that Castro was emptying prisons and insane asylums and after the Mariel boatlift got Castro to agree to reimpose emigration restrictions. So oddly enough you king of proved my point


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  8. #18
    Sage

    Rexedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    13,505

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Why would adding a physical barrier to an area known to be a preferred crossing for illegal immigrants be "overkill"?
    Have you seen any reports as to where the “wall” is proposed to be built? I don’t think my position relates to what you are asking me.....
    Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. George Carlin
    ”I know, everybody funny, now you funny,too.” -George Thorogood

  9. #19
    Sage
    holbritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,456

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Illegal immigration has been continuously dropping for the past 15 years and most illegal immigrants come through valid ports of entry, be it airports or gates with checkpoints. Considering we don't have a wall and prior to 2 years ago didn't have Trump it's obviously neither of those two that are driving the decrease.

    If you ask a Trump supporter they'll swear up and down at least a million brown criminal terrorists cross the border every day and that's why we should all be very, very terrified and hand them a blank check to erect an extremely expensive and pointless monument to Donald.

    I suggest we stay calm, don't exaggerate, and continue to do the things we've been doing the past 15 years that have actually brought us real improvement.
    Ok, but do you have an opinion on WHY the decrease?
    Me not responding means it's a waste of my time and/or I don't play stupid games. I read it, eye-rolled, and moved on.

  10. #20
    Sage
    holbritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,456

    Re: Why is illegal border crossing at an 'all time low'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    As to the OP, I’d posit that one reason border crossings have dropped has nothing to do with us. The journey has become so much more perilous on the Mexican side of the border that many don’t even attempt it.

    This is only a theory.
    Thank you for actually answering the question. It's a plausible theory, imo.
    Me not responding means it's a waste of my time and/or I don't play stupid games. I read it, eye-rolled, and moved on.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •