Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

  1. #1
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    (If Trump survives to 2020 and runs again...)

    Considering how many of the recent elections were about voting AGAINST a candidate rather than FOR a candidate, I think Dems could and should take it to the logical conclusion.

    If they don't want Trump to win in 2020, if there is another candidate in Republican primaries, they should go ahead and vote in Republican primaries instead of Democrat ones.

    IMO, given the results of 2016, it's way more important Trump does not make it than which specific Dem does.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    04-25-19 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,626

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    This took me a moment to understand because it is 3:13am. And also because I am stoned.

    But it seems you are saying we should all vote in the Republican primary so Trump loses the Republican nomination. Trump, as the sitting President, would of course still run, just as an Independent. And the Republicans would split their votes between Trump and the Republican nominee, and the democrat would win. But wouldn’t that also be the case if the conservative alternative, like Romney, just ran as an independent against Trump and the Democrat?
    “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide

  3. #3
    It's the Despair Quotient
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,706
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic Bob View Post
    This took me a moment to understand because it is 3:13am. And also because I am stoned.

    But it seems you are saying we should all vote in the Republican primary so Trump loses the Republican nomination. Trump, as the sitting President, would of course still run, just as an Independent. And the Republicans would split their votes between Trump and the Republican nominee, and the democrat would win. But wouldn’t that also be the case if the conservative alternative, like Romney, just ran as an independent against Trump and the Democrat?
    South Carolina has already proposed SKIPPING its state Republican primary to ensure that ONLY Trump can run.
    If they manage to pull off this stunt, expect the majority of other red states to do the same with THEIR state GOP primaries.

    When it comes to cheating, they're already playing three dimensional chess.
    The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

  4. #4
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    33,200

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slavister View Post
    (If Trump survives to 2020 and runs again...)

    Considering how many of the recent elections were about voting AGAINST a candidate rather than FOR a candidate, I think Dems could and should take it to the logical conclusion.

    If they don't want Trump to win in 2020, if there is another candidate in Republican primaries, they should go ahead and vote in Republican primaries instead of Democrat ones.

    IMO, given the results of 2016, it's way more important Trump does not make it than which specific Dem does.
    So your solution if for democrats to rat **** or party raid the republican primary? I remember in 2016 the stupid Trump-tards were posting stories of democrats switching parties to vote for Trump in the primary as though that was a good thing. Apparently rat ****ing the republican primary wasn't a good thing. This is why I oppose open primaries and party switching when the presidential primary candidates announce they are running. Parties should be allowed to party raid or rat **** the other party's primary.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #5
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic Bob View Post
    ... wouldn’t that also be the case if the conservative alternative, like Romney, just ran as an independent against Trump and the Democrat?
    Good point but ...

    1. I think it's less likely (someone like) Romney would run as Independent if he loses in primaries to Trump

    2. Many voters may still ignore "independent" candidates; so while the split would help the Dems, we don't know to what extent. To avoid 2020 Trump, I think it's more effective to have Trump as "independent" than the "chosen" Republican candidate.

    3. If Trump loses Primaries, it's NOT a given he will run as Independent. After his primaries loss, would he want yet another "loss" (and the accompanying "blame" for Dem win)? For someone who loves to "win", it's hard to say.
    Last edited by Slavister; 01-03-19 at 04:51 AM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Last Seen
    05-24-19 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,257

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slavister View Post
    (If Trump survives to 2020 and runs again...)

    Considering how many of the recent elections were about voting AGAINST a candidate rather than FOR a candidate, I think Dems could and should take it to the logical conclusion.

    If they don't want Trump to win in 2020, if there is another candidate in Republican primaries, they should go ahead and vote in Republican primaries instead of Democrat ones.

    IMO, given the results of 2016, it's way more important Trump does not make it than which specific Dem does.
    I'm all for complete explications of an idea, but Jesus....Given the title of your thread, your whole OP could have been stated in two words: "Vote Blue."

  7. #7
    Sage
    Rexedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    17,522

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic Bob View Post
    This took me a moment to understand because it is 3:13am. And also because I am stoned.

    But it seems you are saying we should all vote in the Republican primary so Trump loses the Republican nomination. Trump, as the sitting President, would of course still run, just as an Independent. And the Republicans would split their votes between Trump and the Republican nominee, and the democrat would win. But wouldn’t that also be the case if the conservative alternative, like Romney, just ran as an independent against Trump and the Democrat?
    Must be primo stuff, Bob! In at 3:13 and out at 4:19, and only a paragraph (small) appeared!
    Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. ” - George Carlin
    ”I know, everybody funny, now you funny,too.” -George Thorogood

  8. #8
    Sage
    Rexedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    17,522

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    I'm all for complete explications of an idea, but Jesus....Given the title of your thread, your whole OP could have been stated in two words: "Vote Blue."
    Wait, what? You’re recommending a poster go all ‘laconic?’

    Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. ” - George Carlin
    ”I know, everybody funny, now you funny,too.” -George Thorogood

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Last Seen
    05-24-19 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,257

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexedgar View Post
    Wait, what? You’re recommending a poster go all ‘laconic?’

    In this instance I am. As with everything, it's all about context.


    I mean, really. Who needs this....




    ...to tell them how to do this?



    Commands for what action to perform need few words.
    Last edited by Xelor; 01-03-19 at 05:59 AM.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    04-19-19 @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,825

    Re: Don't want Trump in 2020? Here is what you do...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slavister View Post
    (If Trump survives to 2020 and runs again...)

    Considering how many of the recent elections were about voting AGAINST a candidate rather than FOR a candidate, I think Dems could and should take it to the logical conclusion.

    If they don't want Trump to win in 2020, if there is another candidate in Republican primaries, they should go ahead and vote in Republican primaries instead of Democrat ones.

    IMO, given the results of 2016, it's way more important Trump does not make it than which specific Dem does.
    The end justifies the means, eh?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •