Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 113

Thread: Climate scientists give clear warning

  1. #11
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    06-14-19 @ 06:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Folks...the window is closing rapidly

  2. #12
    Guru


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,641

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Here is the problem. They have been saying that my entire life and despite the us increasing in population by 30% roughly 100 million people we are producing the same amount of carbon. So we clearly have made strides and by doing very little. Also every prediction about rising temperatures based on carbon in the atmosphere has been way too high. We clearly don’t understand exactly how carbon and warming work together.
    That's not true. We DO know how carbon and warming work. The UV sunlight passes through the atmosphere, strikes the Earth, changes frequency to infrared light, which gets reflected back to the Earth by the carbon in the atmosphere. We've understood it for a long time. The struggle is not understanding the mechanics of warming, it's confronting the politics of it.

  3. #13
    Guru
    Bergslagstroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,955

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Interesting documentary about how renewables are starting to outcompete fossil fuels. Thanks to communities, goverments, corporations and invidiuals leading the way.

    https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/brea...ewable-energy/



    That even Republicans in the USA are one a local level starting to see the great potential in renewable energy.

    "Republicans from Texas to Iowa regularly extoll the virtues of renewables like wind and solar power, and for good reason. Rural Republican districts are often the locations with the best solar and wind resources, and when those resources are harnessed they bring good jobs to places where new sources of employment are often otherwise scarce. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ #1 and #2 fastest growing jobs in the U.S. are solar panel installers and wind turbine technicians. These jobs are good, solid middle class jobs with annual salaries pushing close to six-figures. Beyond construction, the plants (particularly wind farms, with their many moving parts) offer good jobs in the long term."


    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuar.../#19e1ae563da7

    That even Republican coal states like Indiana are replacing coal with renewable energy.

    https://www.utilitydive.com/news/eve...plants/540242/

  4. #14
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,270

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate71 View Post
    A group of Climate Scientists that agree with the concerns skeptics have regarding frantic alarmism have been doing extensive research, looking at the issue more moderately and objectively, and are predicting that there may be a significant reduction of the Polar Ice caps by 2300 if we don't act quickly. Given the trends regarding greenhouse gas emissions, the first signs may start appearing as early as 2150. However, the wheels will be set inevitably in motion very quickly if we don't do something soon. It will simply take longer to start happening than previously thought. This is the kind of objective research we need to get behind and fund while there is still time.

    https://theconversation.com/why-scie...ear-2300-92236
    Hell's teeth, the 100 year predictions don't scare anybody so let's make it 200 years.

    Do you think you are able to predict what fuel we will be using in 70 years?

    Given we are now looking at 200 years don't you think that it might be reasonable to wait a couple of decades to see if this is real?

  5. #15
    Student expat_panama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    280

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    ...the temperature increase that have already happened...
    Some partisan advocates speaking out on this issue have said that the earth's biosphere is right now 1.5C hotter than what it was in 1850. If this were a statement of scientific fact then they'd also present a credible current average biosphere temperature plus another temp for 1850, and the increase would be 1.5C.

    They don't. It isn't.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,428

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate71 View Post
    They were hasty in their predictions. They are refining the science and now realize it will take far longer, probably over 100 years before we start seeing signs.
    If the doomsdayists learned anything from Algore, it's that you don't make near term projections. You may actually have to back your claim at some point.

    Instead of all the ice disappearing by 2000, it's now 2100, and might, may, could, should have replaced will as the most used claim.

  7. #17
    Student expat_panama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    280

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Quote Originally Posted by D_NATURED View Post
    ...The UV sunlight passes through the atmosphere, strikes the Earth, changes frequency to infrared light, which gets reflected back to the Earth by the carbon in the atmosphere...
    When the general non-political public spends money dealing with this process they work with numbers. For example, they decide on a target room temp, they look up the historic average incoming radiation energy and they choose how money they want to spend dealing with it. A mechanical engineer makes around $80K per year.

    When it comes to Federal climate change spending, Ideological factions just have to say something both emotionally provocative and vague like "...the wheels will be set inevitably in motion very quickly if we don't do something soon." In 2017 Al Gore had a net worth of over $300 million.

  8. #18
    Guru
    Bergslagstroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,955

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Fossil fuel companies are amongst the most profitable companies in the world and have spent a lot of time and money trying to delay the transition away from fossil fuels. For example that have funded massive disinformation campaigns for many decades about the realities of climate change. So they could of course have funded research to disprove manmade global warming if any evidence of that existed.

    https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warmin...s#.W81x53szaUk

    Instead their own studies show that manmade global warming is real and will have devastating effects the coming decades.

    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...hange-warnings

    Trump also appointed a Republican that had said that he didn't believe in manmade global warming as head of NASA and their climate research. So Jim Bridenstine could have directed NASA to disprove manmade global warming if any evidence of that existed. Instead he looked at the evidence and now accept the scientific evidence for manmade global warming.

    https://www.space.com/40857-trumps-n...ific-hero.html

    Also as I wrote the study in the OP doesn’t disprove that climate change will have devastating effect the coming decades. Instead it just show that sea level rises for a very long time because of the warming temperatures.

    Also that global climate change has already had observable effects on the environment like for example loss of sea ice, accelerated sea level rise and longer, more intense heat waves.

    https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

  9. #19
    Guru
    Mithrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    06-12-19 @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,722

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate71 View Post
    ...predicting that there may be a significant reduction of the Polar Ice caps by 2300 if we don't act quickly.
    You seem to be misrepresenting the article. Very, very badly, considering there's already been a significant reduction of the northern polar ice cap, particularly in the summer months. And, from the article:
    "For instance, one paper estimated that, if we fail to tackle climate change, the Arctic Ocean could be ice-free all year round somewhere between 2150 and 2250."

  10. #20
    Guru
    Mithrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Last Seen
    06-12-19 @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,722

    Re: Climate scientists give clear warning

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Here is the problem. They have been saying that my entire life and despite the us increasing in population by 30% roughly 100 million people we are producing the same amount of carbon. So we clearly have made strides and by doing very little.
    Your GHG emissions peaked in 2007 about 15% higher than 1990 levels. So yeah... all you needed was a global depression to reduce them, followed by a Presidency which didn't view climate change as a Chinese hoax

    Speaking of which, all those 'Made in China' labels you see on a lot of stuff... that stuff takes energy to transport and produce. Outsourcing emissions to other countries is a politically expedient option (even moreso for Europe, I gather), but it's not exactly progress. Global GHG emissions have risen somewhat slower than global GDP, which is good - and in part an indication of some effectiveness on the part of climate science communicators and policy makers - but they've still risen sharply over recent decades.


Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •