Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

  1. #11
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    355

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Well, I don't share your sloppy consideration, but never mind.

    In any case, we did see how certain individuals from both the DOJ and the FBI...working together...influenced the election. I agree this is a very bad thing. "Very worrisome" doesn't come close to describing it. The fact that they failed in their attempt is a testament to Trump's abilities and the power of the American people.

    I think, because of all the attention to this corruption, we won't have to worry about this happening in future elections...at least, not any time soon. However, if Hillary had won I don't think I could make that same statement. In fact, if Hillary had won we wouldn't even know this corruption happened.
    I think it's very naive to say we don't have to worry about this in future elections. The DOJ got away with having their hands in both political campaigns without much of a repercussion, so that means they will probably do it again at some point. And next time, they may actually try to get one side to win over the other, and that effectively ruins our Republic. You may not be worried about this, but I am.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    31,028

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWits View Post
    I think it's very naive to say we don't have to worry about this in future elections. The DOJ got away with having their hands in both political campaigns without much of a repercussion, so that means they will probably do it again at some point. And next time, they may actually try to get one side to win over the other, and that effectively ruins our Republic. You may not be worried about this, but I am.
    Perhaps you missed my qualifier..."at least, not any time soon".

    What I mean by that is I don't think the Trump administration would even be tempted to do what the Obama administration tried to do.

    That also is not to say I don't worry about it happening in the future. I think we SHOULD be worried and we should take additional steps to prevent this kind of thing from happening. At the least, increased vigilance is a no-brainer. The Obama people got away with this because nobody was watching them.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #13
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    42,032

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWits View Post
    There are serious concerns that the Department of Justice influenced the US elections. We know that the Clinton campaign was investigated. Nobody would dispute that. New information is coming to light that not only was the Trump campaign being investigated, a DOJ spy actually infiltrated the Trump campaign. This is very, very concerning that the DOJ would use tools that often require help from other countries to spy on a major Presidential Political Campaign, and it's even more concerning when you realize they were investigating both of the major party's campaigns. This is exactly what people mean when they talk about a corrupt Deep State. This doesn't mean the DOJ tried to pick a winner, but it's easy to see how they were in the situation to pick a winner. I'm very concerned by what the DOJ has gotten away with up to this point, and it has nothing to do with the last election, but everything to do with future elections.

    Nunes: DOJ Never Should Have Opened Counterintelligence Investigation Into a Political Party | Fox News Insider
    So the FBI should have stood by and watched as Russians infiltrated a Presidential candidate's campaign?

  4. #14
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    355

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Perhaps you missed my qualifier..."at least, not any time soon".

    What I mean by that is I don't think the Trump administration would even be tempted to do what the Obama administration tried to do.

    That also is not to say I don't worry about it happening in the future. I think we SHOULD be worried and we should take additional steps to prevent this kind of thing from happening. At the least, increased vigilance is a no-brainer. The Obama people got away with this because nobody was watching them.
    You claim to care about the precision of language, and yet nothing in this post was precise. Ironic.

  5. #15
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    355

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So the FBI should have stood by and watched as Russians infiltrated a Presidential candidate's campaign?
    From what has been brought forward so far? Yes. Given the evidence so far, Russia/ns had no major impact on the election. The DOJ likely had a bigger impact on the elections than Russia/ns.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    17,037

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWits View Post
    From what has been brought forward so far? Yes. Given the evidence so far, Russia/ns had no major impact on the election. The DOJ likely had a bigger impact on the elections than Russia/ns.
    Yeah.... in electing trump.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  7. #17
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    31,028

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWits View Post
    You claim to care about the precision of language, and yet nothing in this post was precise. Ironic.
    shrug...

    It's easy to say "nothing in this post was precise."

    Harder to actually say what wasn't precise. Are you up to it?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #18
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    355

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    shrug...

    It's easy to say "nothing in this post was precise."

    Harder to actually say what wasn't precise. Are you up to it?
    Sure.

    1) Perhaps you missed my qualifier..."at least, not any time soon". -- Not precise, which is why it required further explanation.

    2) that -- Not precise

    3) What I mean by that is I don't think the Trump administration would even be tempted to do what the Obama administration tried to do. -- Not precise.

    4) That -- Not precise

    5) not to say I don't -- Not precise

    6) it -- Not precise

    7) we should take additional steps -- Not precise

    8) this -- Not precise

    9) thing -- Not precise

    10) from happening. -- Not precise

    11) increased vigilance is a no-brainer. -- Not precise

    12) Obama people -- Not precise

    13) got away with this -- Not precise

    14) because nobody -- Not precise

    15) was watching them. -- Not precise

    So by my count, there are 15 statements of vagueness. I'm surprised I had to point these out to someone who claims to care so much about precision of language as you. Interpreting what you were intending to say was actually quite difficult because you were so vague, which is kind of ironic, given that when you called me imprecise, it was pretty obvious what I was talking about. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    31,028

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWits View Post
    Sure.

    1) Perhaps you missed my qualifier..."at least, not any time soon". -- Not precise, which is why it required further explanation.

    2) that -- Not precise

    3) What I mean by that is I don't think the Trump administration would even be tempted to do what the Obama administration tried to do. -- Not precise.

    4) That -- Not precise

    5) not to say I don't -- Not precise

    6) it -- Not precise

    7) we should take additional steps -- Not precise

    8) this -- Not precise

    9) thing -- Not precise

    10) from happening. -- Not precise

    11) increased vigilance is a no-brainer. -- Not precise

    12) Obama people -- Not precise

    13) got away with this -- Not precise

    14) because nobody -- Not precise

    15) was watching them. -- Not precise

    So by my count, there are 15 statements of vagueness. I'm surprised I had to point these out to someone who claims to care so much about precision of language as you. Interpreting what you were intending to say was actually quite difficult because you were so vague, which is kind of ironic, given that when you called me imprecise, it was pretty obvious what I was talking about. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.
    Sorry if I offend you, but this is the most original...but stupidest...debate stunt I've ever seen.

    You are dismissed.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  10. #20
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    355

    Re: Serious Concerns About DOJ Influencing US Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Sorry if I offend you, but this is the most original...but stupidest...debate stunt I've ever seen.

    You are dismissed.
    Complaining about precision of language is quite the stupid debate stunt, isn't it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •