Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 295

Thread: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

  1. #261
    Sage
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    27,555
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    I'm saying I find making a huge show of it offensive and even Jesus said as much. **** Tebow and his in your face pious act. I've seen other players give their props, observe their faith a lot more humbly. Only god would be able to jusge, but **** that **** IMO.
    So easily offended.
    So easily taking rights and freedoms from others.
    All because you are so easily offended.

    A person's rights don't end and should not be infringed, just because you've decided that you are offended by something.

    Sorry. It doesn't work that way.

    But you have the right to continue to be offended, if you are so inclined.
    Elect a Democrat, get a corrupt FBI, DOJ, IRS . . . . .
    Trump / Russian Collusion? 'All the crimes are on the part of the government"
    When It Comes To Hate, The Left Beats The Right, Hands Down



  2. #262
    Guru
    Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,928

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    You set the criteria of hypocrisy and idiocy, on which there are no statistics to cite. So, I gave you statistics of probability being that those criteria are equal among one religion of any large number as compared to another. Therefore, if there is more of one religion of any large number than another, that group would have more people whom are “hypocritical idiots”, percentages being the same.

    I assume when you say “a religion of peace”, you mean the Muslim religion. There are Muslim countries which do punish people, even with death, for homosexual acts. There are also many Muslim countries which allow homosexual acts. Turkey, for instance, decriminalized homosexuality in 1858, then a 99.8% Muslim country. However, as long as they practice what they preach, and believe in such, that is not hypocrisy. And, I don’t think either is a characteristic of idiocy. Those are your criteria, hypocrisy and idiocy, not mine, on which my reply was based.

    BTW, I don’t see “stagnation” in the Muslim religion, as you imply. It is becoming more open to LGBT than ever before, just as is the US. I gave the example of Turkey decriminalizing homosexuality in 1858. In the US, sexual activity between adults of the same sex wasn’t made legal, nationwide, until 2003.
    I believe you are not entirely aware to the separation of church & state.
    Seeing as I pointed that our with the religion of Islam, it is more hypocritical for one to say they are religion of peace and then be so outwardly hateful of other denominations. Seeing as I have even seen children shows, aired in places like Saudi Arabia. That advocate for the killing and subjugation of other non-Muslims. Not to mention that those shows are "state" funded. This also involves the fabled "Muslim Mickey Mouse" character. Who even gets derided by the co-host for speaking English.

    While we do have churches hear in the states that don't want their congregation actively participating in homosexuality. You still don't have them spreading it around that, one should actively seek to harm them on a daily basis.

    While I have seen hypocrisy in the Christian religion, it does not compare to the overwhelming amount I have personally seen while serving in the armed forces.

    Also, Turkey has been back sliding for a while and even around Muslim controlled communities. Assaults are sill a prime threat.

    Last I heard was an LGBT ban late last year. Though I haven't checked up on it since.
    The years following Bill Clintons election to the presidency.
    I can recall that you would always see Hillary, just there in the back.
    Always smiling that crazed smile, and always riding his coattails wherever he went.
    I guess its because she knew the front of the garment was always occupied.

  3. #263
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,010

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    I believe you are not entirely aware to the separation of church & state.
    Seeing as I pointed that our with the religion of Islam, it is more hypocritical for one to say they are religion of peace and then be so outwardly hateful of other denominations. Seeing as I have even seen children shows, aired in places like Saudi Arabia. That advocate for the killing and subjugation of other non-Muslims. Not to mention that those shows are "state" funded. This also involves the fabled "Muslim Mickey Mouse" character. Who even gets derided by the co-host for speaking English.

    While we do have churches hear in the states that don't want their congregation actively participating in homosexuality. You still don't have them spreading it around that, one should actively seek to harm them on a daily basis.

    While I have seen hypocrisy in the Christian religion, it does not compare to the overwhelming amount I have personally seen while serving in the armed forces.

    Also, Turkey has been back sliding for a while and even around Muslim controlled communities. Assaults are sill a prime threat.

    Last I heard was an LGBT ban late last year. Though I haven't checked up on it since.


    You tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, which you cannot even give an example of, then say that you’re in the right because the other guy is more in the wrong. Quote me what tells you I’m “not entirely aware to the separation of church & state.”

    You exemplify your own hypocrisy by saying some other religion does worse than your religion. That what your religion once did is no longer done, but the other religion is just as bad now. The pot calling the kettle black.

  4. #264
    Guru
    Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,928

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    You tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, which you cannot even give an example of, then say that you’re in the right because the other guy is more in the wrong. Quote me what tells you I’m “not entirely aware to the separation of church & state.”

    You exemplify your own hypocrisy by saying some other religion does worse than your religion. That what your religion once did is no longer done, but the other religion is just as bad now. The pot calling the kettle black.
    Rambling does not an answer make.

    Try again.
    The years following Bill Clintons election to the presidency.
    I can recall that you would always see Hillary, just there in the back.
    Always smiling that crazed smile, and always riding his coattails wherever he went.
    I guess its because she knew the front of the garment was always occupied.

  5. #265
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,010

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Rambling does not an answer make.

    Try again.


    If you can't provide evidence, like a quote, that proves your claim that I am “not entirely aware to the separation of church & state.”, then your claim is dismissed for lack of evidence. Your cute comments are nothing more than your way of avoiding the responsibility of backing up your own words and to excuse yourself from your failure to comprehend.

  6. #266
    Guru
    Oborosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,928

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    If you can't provide evidence, like a quote, that proves your claim that I am “not entirely aware to the separation of church & state.”, then your claim is dismissed for lack of evidence. Your cute comments are nothing more than your way of avoiding the responsibility of backing up your own words and to excuse yourself from your failure to comprehend.
    Its because you even failed to answer my first request for a citation and just played it off with more rambling... or do I need to spell it out more?

    You are dancing around a peg that is apparently only visible to you.

    Or would you like to answer the question in earnest and actually get this on an intellectual track?
    The years following Bill Clintons election to the presidency.
    I can recall that you would always see Hillary, just there in the back.
    Always smiling that crazed smile, and always riding his coattails wherever he went.
    I guess its because she knew the front of the garment was always occupied.

  7. #267
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,010

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Its because you even failed to answer my first request for a citation and just played it off with more rambling... or do I need to spell it out more?

    You are dancing around a peg that is apparently only visible to you.

    Or would you like to answer the question in earnest and actually get this on an intellectual track?


    You made a statement complaining that “Christianity is an easy target at the current time.” I replied that the US is 75% Christian, implying majority rules, so what’s your problem? You then answered that your problem was “hypocritical, idiots.”, thus changing your complaint, your problem, from Christians being targeted to “hypocritical, idiots.” I then said, in so many words, the larger the religion, the more hypocrites and idiots there are, giving Christianity as the example, being the religion in context.

    There are no statistics on hypocrites or idiots. You’re asking a question that can’t be supported by fact. However, one can reason that such is not defined by religion. Therefore, you can’t say that, for instance, the Christian religion has proportionately more or less hypocrites and idiots than any other religion. Only that if there are more people in one religion than another is the only reason a given religion would have more hypocrites and idiots than another.

    I refuted your “targeting Christians” claim, for which you gave no supporting citation, unless you have stats that indicate otherwise. I’ve answered your request for a citation, to which, obvious before asking, there is no factual answer, but for reasoning. Now, please respond to my request that you give an example of your unsupported claim that I’m “not entirely aware to the separation of church & state.”

  8. #268
    Guru


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    06-15-18 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,564

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    It is wrong to mock anyone for their religious beliefs, after all that is what the right to religious freedom is all about. Having said that though, faith is simply believing in something you have no evidence is true and does not denote virtue.
    I disagree with the first sentence. The reason for spiritual freedom is so that you can follow your own heart, not so that others have to patronize your stupid beliefs. The first amendment gives people the freedom of conscience and they too often squander it on freedom of fantasy. Fortunately, it also grants the freedom of speech, which permits those who disagree with their delusion to say so. It's vital to our future that we are comfortable doing that.

    The most insidious tradition in our country is the false "politeness" that dictates that discussions of religion and politics are off limits. I can hardly think of two more important things for the people to discuss, as the former guides the latter in many people and when they get the god part wrong, they feel entitled to get everything else wrong too, even when it's obviously harmful. Besides, there is no more of a threat to all we hold dear than the idea that god belief should dictate our politics. That is what theocracy is, a system of government that abandons any loyalty to reality and punishes those who object.

    I realize that religious discussions are very often contentious. That, however, is not the reason to stop having them, it is the reason to admit that there is something inherently false in them that demands to be treated as truth when it isn't. Democracy runs better of facts than on magical opinions. Therefore, allowing the religious to get away with making claims that are magical in nature is to allow fear of confronting their fantasies to scare us away from our higher principles of freedom and equality.

    If the religious had won at this country's outset, the first amendment wouldn't exist. It would be the first commandment instead.

  9. #269
    Guru


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    06-15-18 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,564

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    I replied that the US is 75% Christian, implying majority rules
    It's not 75% christian unless you want to lump the American Taliban types, who would certainly create a theocracy here, given the chance, along with the mystical, spiritual, liberal type christians who believe the fundamentalists are criminally insane. I can't just lump them together.

    Furthermore, majority does NOT rule when we're talking about religion. It rules with an iron fist elsewhere, where allowed to, but here, in the US, our government is supposed to be protected from the often violent and oppressive whims of sky worshipers. Unfortunately, too many people take their stupid version of the Jesus character into the voting booth with them but they have a right not to.

    I find it ironic that anyone would imply that the state of our nation's religiosity should be determined by a head count. Democracy didn't really exist when the bible was being written and, secondly, the religious have a HORRIBLE track record for creating societies that function well. There is a long history of the majority of people believing is utterly retarded things. Our constitution protects us from the tyranny of the majority for that very reason.

  10. #270
    Guru


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    06-15-18 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,564

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    So easily offended.
    So easily taking rights and freedoms from others.
    All because you are so easily offended.

    A person's rights don't end and should not be infringed, just because you've decided that you are offended by something.

    Sorry. It doesn't work that way.

    But you have the right to continue to be offended, if you are so inclined.
    Do you have the right to deceive? To sell a product that is only available after death? That's what the religious have done. They've made a mockery of democracy and of faith itself by using it as a bludgeon against rationalists and a peacock feather to show everyone how ****ing superior they are.

    In many ways, their individual right to believe has compromised our collective right to understand. For that they should be ashamed.

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •