Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 295

Thread: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

  1. #21
    Sage
    Elvira's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Down South
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,491

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    So when you interact bluntly with people and they are offended you think its Jesus offending them?
    I prefer bluntness to beating around the bush...Peter was a blunt kinda guy and Jesus still loved him...
    "...He is the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords, the one alone having immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal might. Amen." 1 Timothy 6:15,16

  2. #22
    Sage
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    28,886
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    LOL I bet you can't even see the hypocrisy of your diatribe insulting and belittling liberals .....because they don't "hold the same belief's, positions or opinions".
    You know, I'm fine with other having differing opinions.

    I prefer the well reasoned, fact based ones, delivered without condescension, belittlement or arrogance or personal insults. They can be very interesting in the back and forth exploring the position / opinion is a friendly way. From all experiences, there's a shortage of posts that manage to combine all those.

    Seems that the left is far more challenged in putting those three things together in a single post, but there are others of the right that are also challenged in the same way.

    As far as Behar is concerned, what would you call likening someone's religion to a mental illness? Friendly? Fair? Honest? Tolerant?

    Frankly it's not any of these things, and it's bigoted, condescending and insulting.

    Now, you can take the position that Christians deserve to be, and should be, treated condescendingly and insulted, but then, how tolerant would that be?
    Elect a Democrat, get a corrupt and ever more intrusive FBI, DOJ, IRS . . . . .
    Trump / Russian Collusion? 'All the crimes are on the part of the government"
    When It Comes To Hate, The Left Beats The Right, Hands Down

  3. #23
    Guru


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    You know, I'm fine with other having differing opinions.

    I prefer the well reasoned, fact based ones, delivered without condescension, belittlement or arrogance or personal insults. They can be very interesting in the back and forth exploring the position / opinion is a friendly way. From all experiences, there's a shortage of posts that manage to combine all those.
    Well, there is your own bias. You are forwarding the very false notion that you can have a reasoned exchange about something a person imagines inside their head with ZERO standard of evidence. Sam Harris said it best, religion is a conversation stopper, and you can see what all of the phony, religious "scholarship" in the middle east has gotten us. Nothing but centuries of war, exploitation and bloodshed.

    As far as Behar is concerned, what would you call likening someone's religion to a mental illness? Friendly? Fair? Honest? Tolerant?
    Accurate? Who is tolerant of mental illness? Why should I indulge the fantasies of others just to be called "tolerant"? Are the religious tolerant of each other? No. That's a ridiculous thing to be upset about. Respect, especially intellectually, is earned.

    Frankly it's not any of these things, and it's bigoted, condescending and insulting.
    Wrong. It's bigoted when one faith disagrees with another simply because they are different. She wasn't offering her own fantasy as the alternative "truth", she was speaking the fact that when people hear voices, that can be a warning sign of delusion. Having no evidence of a god but plenty of evidence concerning schizophrenia, the "condescension" is warranted.

    Now, you can take the position that Christians deserve to be, and should be, treated condescendingly and insulted, but then, how tolerant would that be?
    Not very, but isn't liberal tolerance something that is constantly being complained about by the right? Certainly, though, you see the difference between being tolerant of innate qualities, like skin color, and being tolerant of choices, like faith. Can't you? Does that distinction need to be explained again and again before the right will admit that ideas, even religious ones, are not, and shouldn't be, protected against criticism.

    There are hundreds or thousands of different faiths, sects and spiritual opinions. All that tells me is that it's a popular human activity to participate in these various exercises of self-placation. In such a variable rich environment for any person to call their opinion truth, as the Christians do, is to make truth nothing more than a whim or a political change instituted at the point of a sword or the pull of a ballot switch.

    I'm not tolerant of many faiths because they aren't tolerant of the facts we live by. I say **** those martyrs who think their god is more important than my lack of one. They are proud robots not moral beings.

  4. #24
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    04-16-18 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    532

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    It’s one thing to talk to Jesus. It’s another thing when Jesus talks to you. That’s called mental illness, if I’m not correct . . . hearing voices.”
    I guess I must be all-the-way-down-the-road wacko then, because He talks to me all day long...
    Unfortunately, God help me, I don't always listen.

  5. #25
    Educator straykatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    847

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    There are some people who view the belief of a god that no one can see to be similar to someone having an imaginary friend. Adults with imaginary friends are considered to be suffering from mental illness. And...it doesn't make a person right or wrong in their belief that god is imaginary no matter how offended a Christian feels about it.

  6. #26
    Sage
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    28,886
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by D_NATURED View Post
    Well, there is your own bias. You are forwarding the very false notion that you can have a reasoned exchange about something a person imagines inside their head with ZERO standard of evidence. Sam Harris said it best, religion is a conversation stopper, and you can see what all of the phony, religious "scholarship" in the middle east has gotten us. Nothing but centuries of war, exploitation and bloodshed.
    So according to you, all conservatives, i.e. people who hold different opinions, are delusional bible thumpers.

    Accurate? Who is tolerant of mental illness? Why should I indulge the fantasies of others just to be called "tolerant"? Are the religious tolerant of each other? No. That's a ridiculous thing to be upset about. Respect, especially intellectually, is earned.
    and that spiritual belief is akin to mental illness

    Wrong. It's bigoted when one faith disagrees with another simply because they are different. She wasn't offering her own fantasy as the alternative "truth", she was speaking the fact that when people hear voices, that can be a warning sign of delusion. Having no evidence of a god but plenty of evidence concerning schizophrenia, the "condescension" is warranted.
    and that you agree with Behar that spiritual belief is akin to mental illness

    Not very, but isn't liberal tolerance something that is constantly being complained about by the right?
    Because I've seen yet so little of liberal tolerance, and far more liberal intolerance, such as you are exhibiting in this post of yours right here. The complaints are well founded in fact and exhibited behavior.

    Certainly, though, you see the difference between being tolerant of innate qualities, like skin color, and being tolerant of choices, like faith. Can't you? Does that distinction need to be explained again and again before the right will admit that ideas, even religious ones, are not, and shouldn't be, protected against criticism.
    Just as long as liberal beliefs are criticized, amirite? I mean that would be intolerable, wouldn't it?

    No one is forcing you to believe in any religion, and no one is even asking you to participate if you don't want to.
    Shouldn't you at least not belittle and mock those who have spiritual beliefs?

    There are hundreds or thousands of different faiths, sects and spiritual opinions. All that tells me is that it's a popular human activity to participate in these various exercises of self-placation. In such a variable rich environment for any person to call their opinion truth, as the Christians do, is to make truth nothing more than a whim or a political change instituted at the point of a sword or the pull of a ballot switch.

    I'm not tolerant of many faiths because they aren't tolerant of the facts we live by. I say **** those martyrs who think their god is more important than my lack of one. They are proud robots not moral beings.
    Yes, yes. More of that famous liberal intolerance on full exhibition I see.

    Cry for, protest for, demand, and even codify into law tolerance for the beliefs and behaviors you support, and be decidedly intolerant of any others.
    Now I'd call that inconsistent in the least, and blatant hypocrisy in the extreme.
    Elect a Democrat, get a corrupt and ever more intrusive FBI, DOJ, IRS . . . . .
    Trump / Russian Collusion? 'All the crimes are on the part of the government"
    When It Comes To Hate, The Left Beats The Right, Hands Down

  7. #27
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,606

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    You know, I'm fine with other having differing opinions.

    I prefer the well reasoned, fact based ones, delivered without condescension, belittlement or arrogance or personal insults. They can be very interesting in the back and forth exploring the position / opinion is a friendly way. From all experiences, there's a shortage of posts that manage to combine all those.

    Seems that the left is far more challenged in putting those three things together in a single post, but there are others of the right that are also challenged in the same way.

    As far as Behar is concerned, what would you call likening someone's religion to a mental illness? Friendly? Fair? Honest? Tolerant?

    Frankly it's not any of these things, and it's bigoted, condescending and insulting.

    Now, you can take the position that Christians deserve to be, and should be, treated condescendingly and insulted, but then, how tolerant would that be?
    And not subtle, whatsoever. Joy further insulted Christians by attempting to sell the vicious wise crack as a joke. As a comedian, she should know the difference.

  8. #28
    Sage
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    28,886
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
    And not subtle, whatsoever. Joy further insulted Christians by attempting to sell the vicious wise crack as a joke. As a comedian, she should know the difference.
    Behar is playing to her audience (or at least whom she believes is her audience), the extreme left, as do most Celebutards in Hollyweird.

    You see, it's pretty clear that all those in 'fly over country' aren't worth being concerned about. Just as long as you are popular with the other leftist's in the liberal / progressive echo chamber the media long been.
    Elect a Democrat, get a corrupt and ever more intrusive FBI, DOJ, IRS . . . . .
    Trump / Russian Collusion? 'All the crimes are on the part of the government"
    When It Comes To Hate, The Left Beats The Right, Hands Down

  9. #29
    Heading North
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,442

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
    And not subtle, whatsoever. Joy further insulted Christians by attempting to sell the vicious wise crack as a joke. As a comedian, she should know the difference.
    She should know what a joke is, since she is one herself.

  10. #30
    Guru


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: Faith Is No Longer a Virtue in America

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    So according to you, all conservatives, i.e. people who hold different opinions, are delusional bible thumpers.
    Wow, that's not even remotely what I wrote. Can you be a bible thumper and NOT be delusional, though? You bring up an interesting point.

    and that spiritual belief is akin to mental illness
    If it quacks like a duck, it's a duck. My point is, the outward antics of the fundamentalist religious are often indistinguishable from mental illness. It certainly blurs the lines at many points.

    and that you agree with Behar that spiritual belief is akin to mental illness
    That's not what she said either but way to be paranoid needlessly. The thing about spiritual belief is that it needn't be any different from other beliefs. While they are trapped in the believer's head, they are harmless to others. Unfortunately, with spiritual beliefs, the believers feel authorized by their grandiose imaginings to subjugate and harm others. If spirituality stopped at the belief stage, it would not be as bad.

    Because I've seen yet so little of liberal tolerance, and far more liberal intolerance, such as you are exhibiting in this post of yours right here. The complaints are well founded in fact and exhibited behavior.
    Yes, liberals are intolerant of intolerance. We don't like when people use a tradition of magical thinking to create contemporary moral or intellectual stagnation or, worse, to excuse violence and misogyny. Your martyrdom is wasted on me. You and every person with a sky daddy are not victims except of your own imaginations. Look around the world at the most religious places. There you will find a history of murder, slavery and institutionalized child molestation. Truly, god can forgive anything and often has to.

    Just as long as liberal beliefs are criticized, amirite? I mean that would be intolerable, wouldn't it?
    Dude, I fully tolerate any rational criticism you have of "liberal" beliefs. Just don't use ****ing magic to explain your own position or you will have declared yourself incapable of a rational discussion to start with. My question still stands, though. Do you or do you not see any distinction of being intolerant of innate qualities, for religious reasons, and being intolerant of bad choices, for secular reasons? It's really very simple for most people to understand.

    No one is forcing you to believe in any religion, and no one is even asking you to participate if you don't want to.
    Shouldn't you at least not belittle and mock those who have spiritual beliefs?
    They don't try to force me now that I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds and have lost my natural, childish credulity. When I was a child, though, they certainly tried to force Jesus down my throat at every turn. You know they do that, though, and you still write down the lie that they don't. Clearly, you are so friendly to magical faith that you won't even admit it when they hurt people right in front of you. I think you may be incapable of looking objectively at this issue.

    Yes, yes. More of that famous liberal intolerance on full exhibition I see.
    If my words are an example of "famous liberal intolerance" then yours are an example of famous religious butthurt. Oh, what a great planet this would be if the religious acted upon their intolerance rhetorically, like liberals do, rather than with war and oppression. I think you're jealous because the history of liberal intolerance is not the blood soaked abomination that religious history is.


    Cry for, protest for, demand, and even codify into law tolerance for the beliefs and behaviors you support, and be decidedly intolerant of any others.
    Now I'd call that inconsistent in the least, and blatant hypocrisy in the extreme.
    It must be a rule that the religious hear voices in their heads. You don't understand a damn thing I write and choose to interpret my words in the most asinine way. The American god is one of dozens or hundreds, is it not? You are the hypocrite when you refuse to admit the fact that the god you excuse your idiocy with is not somehow special or different than the Muslim or Hindu versions.

    And, if I seem intolerant of you, it's really that I'm intolerant of your weakness and ignorance. There is no excuse in heaven or elsewhere for squandering your earthly intellect with dreams of an afterlife. Yet, millions of Americans swaddle themselves in a hateful fantasy and use their fears as a moral credential that is every bit as inconsistent and hypocritical as you claim me to be.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •