Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

  1. #11
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,741
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I understand the argument for allowing white supremacists to speak - it's a freedom of speech thing, right? So when it comes to freedom of speech, why not allow the pedophiles to speak? Yes, child porn is a heinous crime...but so is segregating businesses or cities or schools on basis of race or ethnicity. So is ethnic cleansing.

    I don't have to compare it to child porn, either. How about allowing Islamic extremists giving speeches on campus calling for violent Jihad? How about allowing speeches advocating slavery?

    In other words, there are - as SCOTUS found a long time ago - limits to the freedom of speech. We must defend freedom of speech when that speech does not advocate committing felonies...but if that speech does advocate the commission of felonies, especially if the speech calls for those felonies are committed on a grand scale, then yes, it really is constitutional to refuse to allow the speech on campus...or anywhere else, for that matter.
    None of which touches on the points made in the OP narrative.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,505

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    This?

    Suspect arrested after bomb blast in Williamsburg, Va. - The Washington Post
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Washington Post › local › 2017/10/21[/COLOR]


    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.541176)]3 days ago · [/COLOR]A homemade bomb was detonated Thursday in the heart of Williamsburg, Va., near both the College of William & Mary and Colonial Williamsburg. Police arrested a suspect, who was charged with committing an act of terrorism, the city said Friday night. ... Deb Cheeseboro, the college's police chief said no one was injured.[/COLOR]
    Um, referring to the campus. Your OP?

  3. #13
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    05-11-18 @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    17,688

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    None of which touches on the points made in the OP narrative.
    But it touches directly on the points in at least one of the links provided by your first reference.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #14
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    33,582

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I understand the argument for allowing white supremacists to speak - it's a freedom of speech thing, right? So when it comes to freedom of speech, why not allow the pedophiles to speak? Yes, child porn is a heinous crime...but so is segregating businesses or cities or schools on basis of race or ethnicity. So is ethnic cleansing.

    I don't have to compare it to child porn, either. How about allowing Islamic extremists giving speeches on campus calling for violent Jihad? How about allowing speeches advocating slavery?

    In other words, there are - as SCOTUS found a long time ago - limits to the freedom of speech. We must defend freedom of speech when that speech does not advocate committing felonies...but if that speech does advocate the commission of felonies, especially if the speech calls for those felonies are committed on a grand scale, then yes, it really is constitutional to refuse to allow the speech on campus...or anywhere else, for that matter.
    Your constitutional analysis is incorrect. You can talk about and even advocate illegal activity all you want. The only permitted limit is speech that is likely to incite imminent lawless action, and that is narrowly construed to err on the side of free speech.

    In any case, why is the "progressive" first instinct when it comes to these things so often to try to limit free speech? Or any other right, for that matter?
    “The concept that government may restrict the speech of some elements of our society in order to enhance the relative voice of others is wholly foreign to the First Amendment.”

  5. #15
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,741
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    Meh. It's more of a RW meme that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny on the macro level.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/o...ing-media.html
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...t-wing-fantasy
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...dom-expression
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1394...chamber-campus
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f412b3070e37

    It's a great way to keep the base fired up and sucker more rubes by citing handfuls of extreme examples that aren't representative of the whole, but hey, who cares? It beats an honest argument.
    Sure. That's why the linked articles include pieces from noted RW bastions like the New York Times, the LA Times and the Huffington Post.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #16
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,741
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    But it touches directly on the points in at least one of the links provided by your first reference.
    You'll have to be more specific.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #17
    Visual Opportunist
    Tanngrisnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,089

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Sure. That's why the linked articles include pieces from noted RW bastions like the New York Times, the LA Times and the Huffington Post.
    And? My links also include the NYT. My statement stands.
    Well, he see this one particularly hot chick and not does she bag he slackjawed, but he lets a "Whoa" slip out

  8. #18
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,741
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
    Um, referring to the campus. Your OP?
    You'll have to be more specific.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #19
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,741
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    And? My links also include the NYT. My statement stands.

    Of course it does.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #20
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,741
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Campus Insanity vs Freedom of Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    This whole thing is so overblown.
    First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.

    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

    --Martin Niemoller
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •