Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 115

Thread: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

  1. #21
    Guru Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    on the head of a pin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,602

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    WONDERFUL RULING! There's hope for SCOTUS yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    What happened with Kagan, Sotomayor, and Ginsburg? I strongly suspect Trump's goons are coercing them in some way. It's disappointing to think they might side with white supremacy.
    Kagan, Sotomayor, and Ginsburg tried something different this time around: THINKING. This is a form of behavior Progressives have eschewed for a half century by now. Which is why what they "suspect" and even moreso what they "strongly suspect" doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    The slopeheadz will be next, to the top with a bullet!
    What is this, Liberal-speak? Or Very-Liberal-speak? It reads like nonsense, but seems to carry a threat of some kind.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>

  2. #22
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    72,175

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    What happened with Kagan, Sotomayor, and Ginsburg? I strongly suspect Trump's goons are coercing them in some way. It's disappointing to think they might side with white supremacy.
    The person who brought the case before the court is Asian.

  3. #23
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,134

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    What happened with Kagan, Sotomayor, and Ginsburg? I strongly suspect Trump's goons are coercing them in some way. It's disappointing to think they might side with white supremacy.
    How was this case about white supremacy?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  4. #24
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,134

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Redskins? OK. Slants? No problem. Trademarks of disparaging names will remain protected.

    In Major Free Speech Victory, SCOTUS Rules for 'The Slants' and Strikes Down Federal Trademark Restriction - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    Sounds fair to me. So, I am very happy to see all SCOUTUS judges, Left and Right, agree.

    Come to my new restaurant: The Fur Burger.
    I love how people are so up in arms about the Redskins, yet the supposedly offended race has more supporters for the name than detractors. If this kind of word usage should be banned then black people should no longer be allowed to used the word "nigger", particularly, and in keeping with the thread topic, in copyrighted material.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  5. #25
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    72,175

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I love how people are so up in arms about the Redskins, yet the supposedly offended race has more supporters for the name than detractors. If this kind of word usage should be banned then black people should no longer be allowed to used the word "nigger", particularly, and in keeping with the thread topic, in copyrighted material.
    Well, since the case brought before the court was an Asian person wanting to use the term "Slant" in his copyrighted band name, I believe the Court completely agrees.

  6. #26
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,134

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, since the case brought before the court was an Asian person wanting to use the term "Slant" in his copyrighted band name, I believe the Court completely agrees.
    Which was the reason I used the parallel of the black person using "nigger" in their copyrighted material or trademarked name. I was making the same point you were, but I had responded prior to seeing your post.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,332

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Redskins? OK. Slants? No problem. Trademarks of disparaging names will remain protected.

    In Major Free Speech Victory, SCOTUS Rules for 'The Slants' and Strikes Down Federal Trademark Restriction - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    Sounds fair to me. So, I am very happy to see all SCOUTUS judges, Left and Right, agree.

    Come to my new restaurant: The Fur Burger.
    Oh man, I had a Reply ready to go but I'm not-gonna-do-it ... not ... gah ... dah.
    The lesson is that if everyone was blessed with such restraint there wouldn't have been this Court case to begin with.
    IF SOMETHING EXPLAINS EVERYTHING, IT EXPLAINS NOTHING.

  8. #28
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    78,146

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I agree. Right to free speech can only be violated by the government. Not private citizens. If I yell at someone expressing a boneheaded opinion, tell them to sit down and shut up, I'm not violating their right, I'm using my own.
    Only the government can violate the right to free speech.
    Actually the 1st Amendment says it can't.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    78,146

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    The slopeheadz will be next, to the top with a bullet!
    How about knuckledraggers? I don't think we can speak out against them.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,241

    Re: 8-0 SCOTUS Free Speech Win

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    How about knuckledraggers? I don't think we can speak out against them.
    5 finger death punch is a great name for a band ol wait.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •