Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
Results 321 to 325 of 325

Thread: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

  1. #321
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,145

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    First you need to make the case that reporting any persons engaged in suspicious activities to a local police hotline.. after a serious of recent burglaries.. is insensitive and detrimental to the smooth function of the school.

    In the case of this teacher we have multiple calls from concerned parents. Enough to reasonable prompt an investigation into the behavior of the teacher within the classroom.



    Excuse me.. but do you think then its appropriate for an elementary school teacher to threaten a school child that she is going to turn her Daddy into the police and have him sent to prison? Do you think that is appropriate behavior for a teacher?

    Please explain how threatening a school child, especially an elementary school child because of their parents actions or perceived actions is appropriate behavior.

    First, a school child should not be on facebook. I believe that you are asked to be 13 years old before opening a facebook account. And second, the parents who brought the child here or came here illegally cannot now claim offense because someone pointing out their illegal actions is harmful to their child. Sorry, it just doesn't work like that. And by the way, shame on the parents for sharing such grown up content with their young child. Perhaps we should look at this as the bigger issue of illegal immigration. When you break the law, just like if you robbed a liquor store and get caught and go to jail, guess what. It is going to be in the news and the children are going to be harmed. Their parents are going to be talked about in school and the child will be talked about in school and the parent may go to jail and the child is then homeless or has to have their lives uprooted etc. Is your point that because someone does something illegal that impacts all the people that care about this person, that it should be silenced and not prosecuted? That is in fact what you are saying. Allow illegal immigration to continue so as not to upset those who are impacted from it? What about the child who has to go to school in a trailer on the school campus with few textbooks and over crowded classrooms because the illegal children are here taking from them what their parents have paid in taxes for them to get a good education. Do you feel sorry at all for them?

  2. #322
    Student Whythink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    280

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    The teacher received an appropriate consequence. The first amendment protects me from not going to jail, it does not protect my employment.
    I would also predict she knew that as a typical contract makes it pretty clear.


    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  3. #323
    Professor

    NotreDame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    6 hours south of the Golden Dome of Notre Dame
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,641

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Whythink View Post
    The teacher received an appropriate consequence. The first amendment protects me from not going to jail, it does not protect my employment.
    I would also predict she knew that as a typical contract makes it pretty clear.


    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The 1st Amendment does protect public employees' employment by prohibiting loss of employment on the basis of speech unless the 3 factor test is met.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." James Madison, Father of the U.S. Constitution and 4th president of the United States.

  4. #324
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    09-10-17 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    374

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by EvaPeron View Post
    First, a school child should not be on facebook. I believe that you are asked to be 13 years old before opening a facebook account. And second, the parents who brought the child here or came here illegally cannot now claim offense because someone pointing out their illegal actions is harmful to their child. Sorry, it just doesn't work like that. And by the way, shame on the parents for sharing such grown up content with their young child. Perhaps we should look at this as the bigger issue of illegal immigration. When you break the law, just like if you robbed a liquor store and get caught and go to jail, guess what. It is going to be in the news and the children are going to be harmed. Their parents are going to be talked about in school and the child will be talked about in school and the parent may go to jail and the child is then homeless or has to have their lives uprooted etc. Is your point that because someone does something illegal that impacts all the people that care about this person, that it should be silenced and not prosecuted? That is in fact what you are saying. Allow illegal immigration to continue so as not to upset those who are impacted from it? What about the child who has to go to school in a trailer on the school campus with few textbooks and over crowded classrooms because the illegal children are here taking from them what their parents have paid in taxes for them to get a good education. Do you feel sorry at all for them?
    The idea that it's undocumented immigrants creating a shortfall in school budgets is so far from anything resembling reality that it's almost silly to respond. But judging by posts here there are probably some dumb enough to believe it. Illegal immigrants do not siphon money from school budgets and they actually do pay SS and Medicare taxes by virtue of their employment in most cases. The only funds used that are uniquely related to their illegal status are administrative costs by ICE to deport them in the event they're arrested.

    And FYI, illegal immigration is a civil offense, not a crime. It's also a victimless offense. Comparing it to robbery is patently offensive. Shame on you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #325
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    65,665

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Teachers aren't allowed to use their classrooms as a podium for preaching political or religious viewpoints, and rightly so. Anyway, they aren't supposed to do so, even though no doubt some do get away with it.

    But this is not a case of using the classroom, but of a post made on social media.

    This is wrong. Regardless of whether you or I agree with her or not, the school district is just wrong.

    First-Grade Teacher Suspended Over 'Illegal Aliens' Post: School District



    We've already started chipping away at the fourth and fifth amendments. Now, it appears that the first is also under attack. Will the citizenry stand up, or will we just ignore the situation until none of us have any rights left?
    Hopefully she sues the school district and wins billions of dollars...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •