Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 325

Thread: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

  1. #21
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    07-11-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,931

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    And where did she harass/blame/target students?
    Any student(s) she may have that she suspects of being illegal.

  2. #22
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    79,609

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Any student(s) she may have that she suspects of being illegal.
    That's not what she said.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  3. #23
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    74,980

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I oppose social media policies precisely because they have a chilling effect on the first amendment and employers should not have the right to regulate the private lives of their employees under threat of termination. Relinquishing your civil rights should not be a condition of employment in this country.
    Especially when the employer is the state.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,623

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    There is a federal law which protects students from the harassment/blame and/or being targeted called Title VI.
    There is also a law that protects people from harassment due to the opinions that they express, whether online or in otherwise. It's called the First Amendment, and it's been around for a long time. How much longer it will be around remains to be seen.
    You don't have to agree with me. You have every right to be wrong if you want.

  5. #25
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    07-11-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,931

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    That's not what she said.
    I know what she said and I told you what her actions may cause.

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    79,609

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    I know what she said and I told you what her actions may cause.
    That's a decision by other people, who are responsible for themselves. Illegal aliens don't belong here, and should be turned in.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  7. #27
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    07-11-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,931

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There is also a law that protects people from harassment due to the opinions that they express, whether online or in otherwise. It's called the First Amendment, and it's been around for a long time. How much longer it will be around remains to be seen.
    Yes, but that does not give you unlimited rights, especially if it impedes another person's rights such as protections under the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments.

  8. #28
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    07-11-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,931

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    That's a decision by other people, who are responsible for themselves. Illegal aliens don't belong here, and should be turned in.
    Public teachers do NOT have a right to not educate children that may in fact be illegal because it violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Children are also protected from being harassed by a place that receives public federal funds ie. public schools under Title VI. A public teacher would most likely be found guilty of such crimes if prosecuted. She should transfer to a non public schools if she wants to continue such actions.

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    79,609

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Public teachers do NOT have a right to not educate children that may in fact be illegal because it violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Children are also protected from being harassed by a place that receives public federal funds ie. public schools under Title VI. A public teacher would most likely be found guilty of such crimes if prosecuted. She should transfer to a non public schools if she wants to continue such actions.
    She didn't say that.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  10. #30
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    07-11-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,931

    Re: Teacher loses First Amendment rights

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    She didn't say that.
    Where did I say she 'said' that? You said illegal immigrants do not belong here and should be turned in. I simply illustrated that under federal law public educators are not mandated to report them. It contradicts laws that say they must educate them and also not be found accountable for creating a harassing environment to these children.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •