Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,242
    Blog Entries
    16

    Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    If you'd like to eat the world's most scientifically perfect pizza, you have two options: One, fly to Rome and order a Margherita pizza fresh from the brick oven; or, two, solve a long thermodynamic equation to simulate that glorious Italian pizza in your pathetic electric oven at home.
    That's the basic premise of a new paper titled "The Physics of Baking Good Pizza," published earlier this year in the preprint journal arXiv. In the mouth-watering study, two physicists (Andrey Varlamov of the Institute of Superconductors, Oxides and Other Innovative Materials and Devices in Rome and Andreas Glatz of Northern Illinois University) and one food anthropologist (Sergio Grasso, an author and filmmaker based in Rome) recall the scientifically unassailable pizzas they sampled while the three were working in Rome.
    https://www.livescience.com/64016-ph...ect-pizza.html

    That, was a good read.
    https://www.athletebiz.us/athletes/dana-mecke/store

    "
    Congrats to the Democrats for running a good race"- Janfu was right, I was wrong, very very wrong.

  2. #2
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,280

    Re: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    have been wanting to try to bake a pizza in my wife's kiln
    but did not know exactly 625 degrees for 120 seconds is the key
    might use a pizza stone heated while centered atop a kiln shelf
    will report back when i make my first trial effort ... while she is out of the house to not discourage my use of her kiln for baking
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    ... you have to give him credit for knowing how to sell dog crap as fine food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Have you ever noticed that the people who say "that's the way the cookies crumble" are invariably the same people who eat the cookies?

  3. #3
    A tad Kwazy


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    East Coast Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,662

    Re: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    have been wanting to try to bake a pizza in my wife's kiln
    but did not know exactly 625 degrees for 120 seconds is the key
    might use a pizza stone heated while centered atop a kiln shelf
    will report back when i make my first trial effort ... while she is out of the house to not discourage my use of her kiln for baking
    That Pizza best turn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    I hope to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like my grandfather's passengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm not gay. Why would you say I am?

  4. #4
    global liberation
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    78,494

    Re: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    Anthropologist?! Fake science!!

  5. #5
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,440

    Re: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    It's true that some at-home methods just don't cut it. Have to find one that works, and go for that instead.

    They are also correct that a good wood fired pizza with a beer is timeless. We use to go to a local brewery/restaurant that has great wood fired/brick oven pizzas (margarita I always get), and this was back before there were 1001 microbrews at our fingertips. The combination of that micro-brew on tap, and that pizza...whew....I missed a lot of opportunities to chat up the girls with us at the table because I was too busy making goo-goo eyes at the pizza and beer. Yeah sure, that band's OK, but hey...look at the stretch of this cheese. I'm stuffed guys, I'll catch up with ya'll next time, I'm turning in early.

    Best pizza locally is not a wood-fired though, and it's a masterpiece. I think they put crack in it, I asked to see the kitchen to confirm...the owner insists it's more than most American pizzas are so bad, that it's easy to stand out. I told him I'd say that too if I were putting crack in pizza.

    I recently tried a supposedly authentic, wood fired Neapolitan pizza, highly rated near me, and I was not impressed. I think the field is too large these days and too many artists have perfected too many varieties to settle on any one. The student becomes the master at some point, if the master was any good, as it should be.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    have been wanting to try to bake a pizza in my wife's kiln
    but did not know exactly 625 degrees for 120 seconds is the key
    might use a pizza stone heated while centered atop a kiln shelf
    will report back when i make my first trial effort ... while she is out of the house to not discourage my use of her kiln for baking
    I donít think most home ovens can get to 625 degrees. I know mine is hard pressed to get to 500.

    With a stone I usually have to bake the pizza for 5-6 minutes.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  7. #7
    Guru
    GDViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    4,723

    Re: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    have been wanting to try to bake a pizza in my wife's kiln
    but did not know exactly 625 degrees for 120 seconds is the key
    might use a pizza stone heated while centered atop a kiln shelf
    will report back when i make my first trial effort ... while she is out of the house to not discourage my use of her kiln for baking
    I have known trappers who clean their taps in the dishwasher when the wife is not home.

    When caught , divorce is often brought up, so proceed with caution...

  8. #8
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,630

    Re: Italian Physicists Wrote a 'Perfect Pizza' Equation, Because Not All Heroes Wear Capes

    Well of course anyone with a specially designed brick oven will make a superior pizza, thats just a given.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •