Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Slow Cooker Recipes

  1. #21
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,023

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Oh, c'mon, lets come up with some more recipes. Beats talking politics any day. We could talk dessert, drinks that pair well, cakes, cookies, anything. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Prepare a chili recipe but leave out the meat and substitute cabbage, carrots and potatoes and thin it out some for a hearty soup before winter goes away. Its a touch more complicated than that but that's a general idea.

    Manhattan Chowder

    Chicken and Mushroom stuffed Manicotti

    The best advantage I think a slow cooker offers is to tenderize anything over its long cooking time. So cheap meats you wouldn't mess with become perfect for a slow cooker recipe. But, because POS isn't wanting to do primarily meat dishes, you need to think a touch differently. Pastas and beans can be tricky with a slow cooker. But veggies...so good.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,595

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Prepare a chili recipe but leave out the meat and substitute cabbage, carrots and potatoes and thin it out some for a hearty soup before winter goes away. Its a touch more complicated than that but that's a general idea.

    Manhattan Chowder

    Chicken and Mushroom stuffed Manicotti

    The best advantage I think a slow cooker offers is to tenderize anything over its long cooking time. So cheap meats you wouldn't mess with become perfect for a slow cooker recipe. But, because POS isn't wanting to do primarily meat dishes, you need to think a touch differently. Pastas and beans can be tricky with a slow cooker. But veggies...so good.
    Yum. I use eggplant as meat substitute for the chili, and black beans add extra flavor. Best chili is slow cooked, so we make extra and freeze portions. Makes for great chili dogs in the summer months.
    How can we speak to the pain beneath the anger?
    Author unknown.


  3. #23
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,023

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Yum. I use eggplant as meat substitute for the chili, and black beans add extra flavor. Best chili is slow cooked, so we make extra and freeze portions. Makes for great chili dogs in the summer months.
    There are a bunch of cabbage soup recipes out there. Just leave out the meat if that's what you want to do, they will still be full of flavor.

  4. #24
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,336

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    I think Im gonna do some slow cook chili with lean meat this weekend. I bought the spices this morning.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,595

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I think Im gonna do some slow cook chili with lean meat this weekend. I bought the spices this morning.
    Glad you are still with us.
    How can we speak to the pain beneath the anger?
    Author unknown.


  6. #26
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,023

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I think Im gonna do some slow cook chili with lean meat this weekend. I bought the spices this morning.
    Here is a vegetarian cabbage soup for ya to try if you feel like it (kind of a staple in my family, grandma made it all the time with hamburger) https://www.thespruce.com/garden-cabbage-soup-3055772

  7. #27
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,336

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Glad you are still with us.
    You make it sound like I died or something.

    It seems I keep overestimating the cooking time on this damn slow cooker. I started up a veggie curry stew (Indian coconut curry with potatoes, peas, carrots and onions) around 5pm, thinking it ought to be ready by 7. When I checked it wasn't even close. My kid ate ahead of me and everyone wondered why I didnt eat dinner. It was ready just before midnight, so I ate pretty late lol.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,595

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    You make it sound like I died or something.

    It seems I keep overestimating the cooking time on this damn slow cooker. I started up a veggie curry stew (Indian coconut curry with potatoes, peas, carrots and onions) around 5pm, thinking it ought to be ready by 7. When I checked it wasn't even close. My kid ate ahead of me and everyone wondered why I didnt eat dinner. It was ready just before midnight, so I ate pretty late lol.
    Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound that way.
    I calculate 6 to 8 hrs as rule of thumb. Every time you open the pot, to add or to check, add 15 mins more cooking time.
    Here is a recipe ( you mentioned chili), that gives you a good baseline
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-chili-3361632
    How can we speak to the pain beneath the anger?
    Author unknown.


  9. #29
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,336

    Re: Slow Cooker Recipes

    I had delicious homemade chili from the slow cooker and an easy salad for dinner. I'll try the cabbage soup sometime next week.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •