Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Moderators, what is up with this message?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Last Seen
    05-24-19 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,257

    Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Dear Moderators,

    I have observe today that when clicking on hyperlinks contained in members' post, rather than being taken to the webpage the member linked, one is taken to a DP page that displays the following message:

    Warning! The intended destination is not part of Debate Politics Forums.
    If you do not recognise [insert web address the member included] or do not trust the person who gave you this link, close this tab or click the Back button in your browser.

    This is of some concern because to minimize the impact of DP's (ridiculous, IMO) character limit, I routinely replace hyperlinks with a "tinyurl." (If one's not familiar with aliasing, Google "tinyurl.") Nobody is going to recognize a tinyurl. Moreover, were I to instead use the un-aliased web address, I don't think that'd help for who is familiar with the naming conventions used on the myriad websites and servers whereat be found the content DP members reference?

    As for whether one trusts the person who posted the link, how on Earth is any member to trust any other member? Speaking for myself, I don't know anyone here, just as I don't know the vast majority of writers/publishers of non-DP content to which many members link (and that members are required to link to in certain subforums, "Breaking News" especially). Indeed, do members even know with what business they're interacting by using DP? I suspect not, for DP itself isn't transparent about so much as the ownership of the site. A simple "whois" reveals that the site's owners availed themselves of GoDaddy's "Domain's By Proxy" privacy offering (DBPPO) -- IIRC, the DBPPO functionality has been transitioned to a core GoDaddy feature -- whereby the only way one can determine who owns the site is by suing the site. Quite literally and for all we know, DP could be owned by the managers of a so-called troll farm.

    There is too the matter that a ne'er do well can spoof whatever web address they are of a mind to; thus even if the primary domain -- say, abc.com or many others -- is familiar/recognizable, it too can be "dangerous." There's little one can do about spoofed web addresses; however, (1) using an antivirus program and (2) heeding one's browser's warning that the website one's trying to access may be "dangerous" are good ways to reduce one's risk of falling victim to such things.

    That said, using the Internet has always been and remains, as does pretty much everything having to do with life as an adult, an AYOR activity.

    Why has DP adopted a "nanny" nature?


    Accommodation Suggestion:
    The new message inserts an additional step in navigation process. Rather than making the above noted message appear after every click of an external hyperlink, use the model used when members access certain subforums -- the Basement comes to mind -- for the first time or when returning to the site after having received a warning/infraction. Being informed each time they click on a hyperlink seems a bit much, particularly insofar as it interrupts navigation.

  2. #2
    ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,400

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    I have no doubt the Mod Team discussed and tested this addon extensively before implementation. No doubt there were pros and cons.

    I'd be interested to hear the advantages and disadvantages and the Teams overarching go-rationale, but that is entirely up to them of course.


    MAGA = My Attorneys Get Arrested

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    99,845
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    Dear Moderators,

    I have observe today that when clicking on hyperlinks contained in members' post, rather than being taken to the webpage the member linked, one is taken to a DP page that displays the following message:

    Warning! The intended destination is not part of Debate Politics Forums.
    If you do not recognise [insert web address the member included] or do not trust the person who gave you this link, close this tab or click the Back button in your browser.

    This is of some concern because to minimize the impact of DP's (ridiculous, IMO) character limit, I routinely replace hyperlinks with a "tinyurl." (If one's not familiar with aliasing, Google "tinyurl.") Nobody is going to recognize a tinyurl. Moreover, were I to instead use the un-aliased web address, I don't think that'd help for who is familiar with the naming conventions used on the myriad websites and servers whereat be found the content DP members reference?

    As for whether one trusts the person who posted the link, how on Earth is any member to trust any other member? Speaking for myself, I don't know anyone here, just as I don't know the vast majority of writers/publishers of non-DP content to which many members link (and that members are required to link to in certain subforums, "Breaking News" especially). Indeed, do members even know with what business they're interacting by using DP? I suspect not, for DP itself isn't transparent about so much as the ownership of the site. A simple "whois" reveals that the site's owners availed themselves of GoDaddy's "Domain's By Proxy" privacy offering (DBPPO) -- IIRC, the DBPPO functionality has been transitioned to a core GoDaddy feature -- whereby the only way one can determine who owns the site is by suing the site. Quite literally and for all we know, DP could be owned by the managers of a so-called troll farm.

    There is too the matter that a ne'er do well can spoof whatever web address they are of a mind to; thus even if the primary domain -- say, abc.com or many others -- is familiar/recognizable, it too can be "dangerous." There's little one can do about spoofed web addresses; however, (1) using an antivirus program and (2) heeding one's browser's warning that the website one's trying to access may be "dangerous" are good ways to reduce one's risk of falling victim to such things.

    That said, using the Internet has always been and remains, as does pretty much everything having to do with life as an adult, an AYOR activity.

    Why has DP adopted a "nanny" nature?


    Accommodation Suggestion:
    The new message inserts an additional step in navigation process. Rather than making the above noted message appear after every click of an external hyperlink, use the model used when members access certain subforums -- the Basement comes to mind -- for the first time or when returning to the site after having received a warning/infraction. Being informed each time they click on a hyperlink seems a bit much, particularly insofar as it interrupts navigation.
    Just a note: I do not click on any tinyurl links. If I cannot see where a link is going to, I will never click on it. If you feel the need to hide where you are linking to, don't be surprised when people don't click through to your sources. The character limit is an incredibly weak excuse for disguising your link destinations, since you have the option of making more than one post...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Ive always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  4. #4
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,728

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    There's a character limit?

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball
    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,888

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    There's a character limit?
    Yes..

  6. #6
    Buttermilk Man
    Hawkeye10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Olympia Wa
    Last Seen
    06-25-19 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    42,104

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    Dear Moderators,

    I have observe today that when clicking on hyperlinks contained in members' post, rather than being taken to the webpage the member linked, one is taken to a DP page that displays the following message:

    Warning! The intended destination is not part of Debate Politics Forums.
    If you do not recognise [insert web address the member included] or do not trust the person who gave you this link, close this tab or click the Back button in your browser.

    This is of some concern because to minimize the impact of DP's (ridiculous, IMO) character limit, I routinely replace hyperlinks with a "tinyurl." (If one's not familiar with aliasing, Google "tinyurl.") Nobody is going to recognize a tinyurl. Moreover, were I to instead use the un-aliased web address, I don't think that'd help for who is familiar with the naming conventions used on the myriad websites and servers whereat be found the content DP members reference?

    As for whether one trusts the person who posted the link, how on Earth is any member to trust any other member? Speaking for myself, I don't know anyone here, just as I don't know the vast majority of writers/publishers of non-DP content to which many members link (and that members are required to link to in certain subforums, "Breaking News" especially). Indeed, do members even know with what business they're interacting by using DP? I suspect not, for DP itself isn't transparent about so much as the ownership of the site. A simple "whois" reveals that the site's owners availed themselves of GoDaddy's "Domain's By Proxy" privacy offering (DBPPO) -- IIRC, the DBPPO functionality has been transitioned to a core GoDaddy feature -- whereby the only way one can determine who owns the site is by suing the site. Quite literally and for all we know, DP could be owned by the managers of a so-called troll farm.

    There is too the matter that a ne'er do well can spoof whatever web address they are of a mind to; thus even if the primary domain -- say, abc.com or many others -- is familiar/recognizable, it too can be "dangerous." There's little one can do about spoofed web addresses; however, (1) using an antivirus program and (2) heeding one's browser's warning that the website one's trying to access may be "dangerous" are good ways to reduce one's risk of falling victim to such things.

    That said, using the Internet has always been and remains, as does pretty much everything having to do with life as an adult, an AYOR activity.

    Why has DP adopted a "nanny" nature?


    Accommodation Suggestion:
    The new message inserts an additional step in navigation process. Rather than making the above noted message appear after every click of an external hyperlink, use the model used when members access certain subforums -- the Basement comes to mind -- for the first time or when returning to the site after having received a warning/infraction. Being informed each time they click on a hyperlink seems a bit much, particularly insofar as it interrupts navigation.
    One hopes that this is a mistake due to the re-boot.
    Currently on Strike......PM's Only....And only for the far too few who manage civility.

  7. #7
    Chicks dig the name!

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,563
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    Dear Moderators,

    I have observe today that when clicking on hyperlinks contained in members' post, rather than being taken to the webpage the member linked, one is taken to a DP page that displays the following message:

    Warning! The intended destination is not part of Debate Politics Forums.
    If you do not recognise [insert web address the member included] or do not trust the person who gave you this link, close this tab or click the Back button in your browser.
    I hate it.
    I know for a fact that there are extensive whitelists available, and more importantly, blacklists.
    One can download a black list and implement it on the server to catch a lot of iffy links.

    I agree, the gatekeeper thing is a bit of overreach.
    Quote Originally Posted by aociswundumho View Post
    The best part of that video was that there weren't any union workers in it.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Last Seen
    05-24-19 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,257

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Just a note: I do not click on any tinyurl links. If I cannot see where a link is going to, I will never click on it. If you feel the need to hide where you are linking to, don't be surprised when people don't click through to your sources. The character limit is an incredibly weak excuse for disguising your link destinations, since you have the option of making more than one post...

  9. #9
    Buttermilk Man
    Hawkeye10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Olympia Wa
    Last Seen
    06-25-19 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    42,104

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Using the internet is at least twice as much work as it should be because of crap like this, the self playing videos are the worst problem in my opinion, that and pages that are overloaded even without the sell playing videos.

    Nobody seems to care about the customer service anymore.
    Currently on Strike......PM's Only....And only for the far too few who manage civility.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Last Seen
    05-24-19 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,257

    Re: Moderators, what is up with this message?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Using the internet is at least twice as much work as it should be because of crap like this, the self playing videos are the worst problem in my opinion, that and pages that are overloaded even without the sell playing videos.

    Nobody seems to care about the customer service anymore.
    All o' dat ^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •