Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

  1. #1
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19,515

    California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    California raises the caution flag on ‘green jobs’ - POLITICO

    California’s experience is that jobs have materialized, but that it's been more trouble than it's worth to count them in the aggregate. While "green jobs" were the common argot in 2009, when Obama's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act injected $790 billion into the economy, the term has fallen out of favor since — as has calculating its number.
    The federal Bureau of Labor Statistics stopped tabulating green jobs in 2013, as did California’s Employment Development Department after it found "no discernible evidence that green firms were more likely to create jobs than non-green firms." A 2008 California law required the creation of a "green-collar jobs council" and annual reports to the legislature, but they dropped off in 2010.
    Yup, the so-called green revolution is nothing more than a costly smokescreen.

  2. #2
    Guru
    WillyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,045

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    California raises the caution flag on ‘green jobs’ - POLITICO



    Yup, the so-called green revolution is nothing more than a costly smokescreen.
    Sure, in the U.S. it's all about directing the funding to yourself and your allies by whatever means necessary. Everything else is secondary.

    The whole "green" thing is an example, but so too are the Wars on Drugs and Terror, and the Cold War.

    You could probably run it right back to 1776, with a bit of effort.
    Ask about my German oranges!

  3. #3
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,302

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    California raises the caution flag on ‘green jobs’ - POLITICO

    Yup, the so-called green revolution is nothing more than a costly smokescreen.
    As usual, deniers do not read the very links that they spam.

    The very phrase that you highlighted, "no discernible evidence that green firms were more likely to create jobs than non-green firms," does not mean that green jobs would employ fewer people than non-green ones would.

    Also why are you taking California's government at their word? Aren't they a bunch of corrupt librul soshalist envirnmentulist big guv'mint fashusts?
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Democracy of any kind was the greatest tragedy that ever befell the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  4. #4
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19,515

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    As usual, deniers do not read the very links that they spam.

    The very phrase that you highlighted, "no discernible evidence that green firms were more likely to create jobs than non-green firms," does not mean that green jobs would employ fewer people than non-green ones would.

    Also why are you taking California's government at their word? Aren't they a bunch of corrupt librul soshalist envirnmentulist big guv'mint fashusts?
    If you had actually read the article it states that California was no longer able to hide the fact that their so-called green initiatives werent what they were advertised as- something that supposedly would create more jobs than the industry they were trying to "replace." The truth ultimately came out, and they could no longer hide it. So much for your side, eh?

  5. #5
    Generally Inadvisable

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28,147
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    California’s green-collar jobs council has since morphed into state training programs, which received $12 million in funding from Prop. 39 to train disadvantaged workers, including women, foster youth and formerly incarcerated people. The programs placed 1,721 people into jobs, out of 2,609 people trained.
    That doesn't sound so terrible. Maybe next time around they'll place two thousand for 2600 people trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by theliquidguy
    Thats all fine and good,
    BUT THE BOTTOM LINE: POLITICAL BIAS WAS NOT A FACTOR.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,302

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    If you had actually read the article it states that California was no longer able to hide the fact that their so-called green initiatives werent what they were advertised as- something that supposedly would create more jobs than the industry they were trying to "replace." The truth ultimately came out, and they could no longer hide it. So much for your side, eh?
    So what? Did they take into account that California already has a lot of green jobs? Did they account for market saturation for green jobs in Cali compared to dirtier states such as West Virginia? What about the particular industries in Cali?

    Speaking of West Virginia, if there's any part of the country that should be all-in on the green economy, it's them. How's the coal industry working out for that lagging state?
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Democracy of any kind was the greatest tragedy that ever befell the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  7. #7
    Educator
    nitroexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    10-26-19 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    So what? Did they take into account that California already has a lot of green jobs? Did they account for market saturation for green jobs in Cali compared to dirtier states such as West Virginia? What about the particular industries in Cali?

    Speaking of West Virginia, if there's any part of the country that should be all-in on the green economy, it's them. How's the coal industry working out for that lagging state?
    Tell a coal miner who has been pounding rock all their lives that he can be trained to install solar panels. I'm sure they will be thrilled.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    ----Sun Tzu----


  8. #8
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    24,302

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
    Tell a coal miner who has been pounding rock all their lives that he can be trained to install solar panels. I'm sure they will be thrilled.
    If they're literally addicted to a dying industry then that's on them. They're fools to keep voting for politicians that keep promising corporate welfare to a dying industry instead of investing in one that could restore Appalachia's economy to its former glory.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Democracy of any kind was the greatest tragedy that ever befell the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDET View Post
    A child, especially a son, is a man's life partner
    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I wish the USA would stay a white majority, but it won't.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,789

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
    Tell a coal miner who has been pounding rock all their lives that he can be trained to install solar panels. I'm sure they will be thrilled.
    If the coal miner still hasn't figured out that time it is, there is no saving him. He can join the buggy whip maker, soda jerk and harpoonist….

    Course if the eastern tunnel coal miner manages to survive 20 years of tunnel collapse he can look forward to a few retirement years coughing up a lung from the coal dust...

    WINNING!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19,515

    Re: California raises the caution flag on "green jobs"

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    So what? Did they take into account that California already has a lot of green jobs? Did they account for market saturation for green jobs in Cali compared to dirtier states such as West Virginia? What about the particular industries in Cali?

    Speaking of West Virginia, if there's any part of the country that should be all-in on the green economy, it's them. How's the coal industry working out for that lagging state?
    Ah, now its moving the goalpost fallacy. Stick to the topic or start your own if you want to talk about WV.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •