Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465
Results 641 to 644 of 644

Thread: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

  1. #641
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    33,299

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Tornado View Post
    Energy is often the cause of most changes.

    A steady rubbing of one material against another can produce a constant temperature that can be calculated, measured and duplicated.

    Increasing that frictional effect by adding just ONE additional stroke can cause the interaction between the two materials to create an uncontrolled rise in temperature, the destruction of one or both materials and once again be duplicatable.

    The suns energy hitting the ground can be endured by the average human nearly anyplace on the planet even the artic, but if you focus it with a magnifying glass even at 32 degrees below zero it will, melt ice, burn flesh or start a fire.

    A small continued build up of potential energy until its sudden release is what causes earthquakes.

    Ever hear of the line about "The straw that broke the camels back"?

    It references how a infinitesimal piece of straw when added to what has already been applied can and does result in a catastrophic failure.
    I take it you don't understand the math. Working with BTU's and talking about how much heat it takes to melt ice, and change it by one degree, I was hoping I found someone who actually understood.

    You are a disappointment in that regard. You clearly do not understand.
    The left says the right is full of racists and bigots and have no tolerance. Nobody from the right organizes interference with gay pride parades, or other leftist events. The left however always has a group interfering with events organized by the right. Who are the tolerant ones I ask? Most certainly not the left.

  2. #642
    Advisor Dick Tornado's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I take it you don't understand the math. Working with BTU's and talking about how much heat it takes to melt ice, and change it by one degree, I was hoping I found someone who actually understood.

    You are a disappointment in that regard. You clearly do not understand.
    Why would you say that?

    Because I do not agree with you?

    Are you denying that the atmosphere is absorbing more potential energy that in years prior?

    Do you deny that potential energy when unrestrained often results in a sudden kinetic release?

    Your aware that a 100# mass traveling at 5 MPH verse 10 MPH does not have double the force, but a far greater amount correct?

    Math can confirm all of these things

    Physical science shows us for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Last edited by Dick Tornado; Yesterday at 10:45 PM.
    The most courageous act is still to think for yourself

  3. #643
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    33,299

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Tornado View Post
    Why would you say that?

    Because I do not agree with you?
    No, because you show no indication of seeing the magnitude of it vs. the greenhouse gas effect on ice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Tornado View Post
    Are you denying that the atmosphere isn't absorbing more potential energy that in years prior?
    Have I once given any indication that greenhouse gasses do not warm the atmosphere? They most certainly do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Tornado View Post
    Do you deny that potential energy when unrestrained often results in a sudden kinetic release?
    Yes, it does. But have you ever quantified the values?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Tornado View Post
    Your aware that a 100# mass traveling at 5 MPH verse 10 MPH does not have double the force, but a far greater amount correct?
    Yes, but I wouldn't say "far greater." E = MC^2. The mass traveling 10 MPH would have four times the energy of the mass traveling 5 MPH.
    The left says the right is full of racists and bigots and have no tolerance. Nobody from the right organizes interference with gay pride parades, or other leftist events. The left however always has a group interfering with events organized by the right. Who are the tolerant ones I ask? Most certainly not the left.

  4. #644
    Advisor Dick Tornado's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    No, because you show no indication of seeing the magnitude of it vs. the greenhouse gas effect on ice.
    "Magnitude of it", what is your it?

    Please let me straighten things out. I'm not saying if we control Greenhouse gases we are good, far from it. We could easily have something happen that no one considered or could experience factors that cause the next ice age. (12,000 years of extra salty oceans, low fresh water resources and a loss of agriculture. I try to use knows of all types and base my opinion on my assemblance of those factors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Have I once given any indication that greenhouse gasses do not warm the atmosphere? They most certainly do.
    I'm not a big follower of greenhouse gases as being overly evil, I believe to account for the planetary fluxes we need to calculate all items of influence, not just the bright and shiny ones.

    Rough Example; If your measuring the amount of water being added to a pool and you know the amount passing through the hose filling it, but ignore that it has poured for three days straight, plus on top of that, you see the roof gutter drains into the pools deep end, you only have the basis of a fact. To me I have to see if I can find the amount of rain during that period 92.2"), the surface area of the pool and the surface area of the roof and add them to the hoses calculations. I actually had to use this once, I had a client buying a home and the huge pool leaked and we had to show how bad. (2.2" of rain water from the roof alone was like 110 gallons)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Yes, it does. But have you ever quantified the values?
    To some degree when I was better engaged, but honestly not lately, and nothing I would publish to a journal. I'm sliding close to hospice care (cancer), so things I used to be fairly OCD with I can't spend the time on. I still keep informed, but do less personal research as I used to and like to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Yes, but I wouldn't say "far greater." E = MC^2. The mass traveling 10 MPH would have four times the energy of the mass traveling 5 MPH.
    You know that most of the posters here have no idea what we are talking about.... It wasn't the 27 ounce piece of foam that brought down the shuttle, it was the 500+ miles an hour it was traveling at or better said the 500+ miles an hour the shuttle was traveling at when the two encountered each other. Some of the greatest scientific and math based minds in America calculated that problem wrong to the crews determent.
    The most courageous act is still to think for yourself

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •