Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1023

Thread: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,681

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Greenland Ice Sheet Today | Surface Melt Data presented by NSIDC National snow and ice data center.

    WaPo won't let me read their rag with paying. But 40 degrees seems a stretch, or an outright lie.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,484

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Greenland Ice Sheet Today | Surface Melt Data presented by NSIDC National snow and ice data center.

    WaPo won't let me read their rag with paying. But 40 degrees seems a stretch, or an outright lie.
    I am guessing that the 40c above normal would be 40c above the average temperature over the whole year or something.

    If you read the graph in there you will see that on a couple of days this made the Greenland ice sheet be in a melting mode over about half of it. Given that it gets an average of 350mm+ precipitation in the form of snow, so about 4-5 feet of snow, I don't think that would make much of a dent in the annual accumulation of ice on the ice sheet.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,681

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    I am guessing that the 40c above normal would be 40c above the average temperature over the whole year or something.

    If you read the graph in there you will see that on a couple of days this made the Greenland ice sheet be in a melting mode over about half of it. Given that it gets an average of 350mm+ precipitation in the form of snow, so about 4-5 feet of snow, I don't think that would make much of a dent in the annual accumulation of ice on the ice sheet.
    But the headline says 40 degrees above June normal.

    It's possible that for one hour, or one day, the temperature can be abnormally high. That happens everywhere. A 70 degree day in February when the avg Feb temp is 30. As I said, I won't spend a penny on WaPo, so all I have is the OP. I'm not even sure what June means. This is the 15th. Is this an old article? I can find no other reference on Google, including his own blog.

  4. #24
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,957
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    I don't the twisted interpretations of your biased, unscientific Blogs. I don't believe the cherry-picking that they do, and I don't believe the way they misrepresent their sources. So many times, we have all shown how they distort data and science.
    Ah. So you don't have an answer. The data are conclusive and your claim is debunked.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  5. #25
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    11-22-19 @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,023

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Ah. So you don't have an answer. The data are conclusive and your claim is debunked.
    If your Blog says so, it's got to be right.

  6. #26
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,957
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    If your Blog says so, it's got to be right.
    Address the data or keep silent. Your dodging and deflecting are tiresome.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  7. #27
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    11-22-19 @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,023

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Greenland Ice Sheet Today | Surface Melt Data presented by NSIDC National snow and ice data center.

    WaPo won't let me read their rag with paying. But 40 degrees seems a stretch, or an outright lie.
    Your link covers Greenland, and not the entire Arctic. Even so, from your link...

    The number of surface melting days was well above the 1981 to 2010 average for the beginning of the 2019 Greenland melt season, particularly along the southeastern coast.
    ...
    Low snowfall over western Greenland, combined with the early warming, has resulted in an early onset of the melt season at several automated weather stations (AWS) managed by Programme for Monitoring of the Greenland Ice Sheet (PROMICE), a Danish ice and climate research site.

    Your link doesn't cover June, but from the graph below (from your link), you can see the concern. Notice the RED spike leading up to June.

    NSIDC_greenland_daily_melt_plot.jpg

  8. #28
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,957
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    Your link covers Greenland, and not the entire Arctic. Even so, from your link...

    The number of surface melting days was well above the 1981 to 2010 average for the beginning of the 2019 Greenland melt season, particularly along the southeastern coast.
    ...
    Low snowfall over western Greenland, combined with the early warming, has resulted in an early onset of the melt season at several automated weather stations (AWS) managed by Programme for Monitoring of the Greenland Ice Sheet (PROMICE), a Danish ice and climate research site.

    Your link doesn't cover June, but from the graph below (from your link), you can see the concern. Notice the RED spike leading up to June.

    NSIDC_greenland_daily_melt_plot.jpg
    German Analyses: Bevis et al 2019 Misrepresents Greenland Ice Melt Data, Falsely Claims Accelerating Ice Melt

    By P Gosselin on 20. April 2019
    When Greenland ice melt data are correctly presented, Greenland it has in fact decelerated recently, thus contradicting alarmist claims by a new paper’s authors. The “Illi omnia experti“ climate science By Uli Weber (Translated/edited by P Gosselin) Already in January 2019 a very peculiar scientific publication on the allegedly increasing glacier melt had been a […]
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,681

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    Your link covers Greenland, and not the entire Arctic. Even so, from your link...

    The number of surface melting days was well above the 1981 to 2010 average for the beginning of the 2019 Greenland melt season, particularly along the southeastern coast.
    ...
    Low snowfall over western Greenland, combined with the early warming, has resulted in an early onset of the melt season at several automated weather stations (AWS) managed by Programme for Monitoring of the Greenland Ice Sheet (PROMICE), a Danish ice and climate research site.

    Your link doesn't cover June, but from the graph below (from your link), you can see the concern. Notice the RED spike leading up to June.

    NSIDC_greenland_daily_melt_plot.jpg
    But we're talking about Greenland ice sheets melting.

    My link doesn't cover June because June hasn't happened yet. I suspect the article is old. How old I don't know. I'm not going to pay a buck to find out. The author retired, so he is no longer a government climatologist. I went to his blog page and there is a list of his writings and radio interviews. There is no mention of this other than WaPo that I can find.

  10. #30
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,957
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Greenland Ice Sheet Today | Surface Melt Data presented by NSIDC National snow and ice data center.

    WaPo won't let me read their rag with paying. But 40 degrees seems a stretch, or an outright lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    But we're talking about Greenland ice sheets melting.

    My link doesn't cover June because June hasn't happened yet. I suspect the article is old. How old I don't know. I'm not going to pay a buck to find out. The author retired, so he is no longer a government climatologist. I went to his blog page and there is a list of his writings and radio interviews. There is no mention of this other than WaPo that I can find.
    I'm a subscriber. Here's the money quote.

    April and May: Above average, but nothing to write Nome about

    FEATURED

    June 12, 2019
    Surface melting on the Northern Hemisphere’s largest mass of ice began during the second week of April, with several significant melting episodes at the end of the month and into early May. Warm conditions over the ice sheet and winds from the east were prevalent for the two-month period. While significant, and above average for the 1981 to 2010 reference period, the melting extent has been comparable to previous years spanning 2010 to 2018.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •