Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 537

Thread: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

  1. #231
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,075

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    How bad at maths do you have to be to get to your point?

    The equation has no time varable in it. Time is not a factor in the equation.

    Try not to fail so badly.
    Your ignorance is now on full display. Heat is passed from warmer water to ice, resulting in melting of the ice. I posted the mathematical equation for this. As long as ocean water is warming, this process will be occurring more and more. In other words - it's all the TIME!

    OceanTemps_Doctored.jpg

  2. #232
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,664

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Oh now you start back pedaling. Your initial post was only wind.

    And stop digging a hole. Those of us with a science background know you're out of your league.
    Find the initial post it will ask you about the ratio of forces. The North Atlantic Conveyor is over 99% wind driven.

    You do not have a science background. You do not have a degree in chemistry of physics or a related subject.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,664

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    Your ignorance is now on full display. Heat is passed from warmer water to ice, resulting in melting of the ice. I posted the mathematical equation for this. As long as ocean water is warming, this process will be occurring more and more. In other words - it's all the TIME!

    OceanTemps_Doctored.jpg
    The equation you posted has no time factor in it.

    The time it would take, in your initial scenario of ice in a bucket, not the different subject of ocean heat content, needs a whole load more information about the shape, density and such of the ice to get any idea of how long it is going to take to melt.

    Your posts are so none-honest it is shocking. You have no clue at all about any physics related thing.

  4. #234
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    77,302
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    The equation you posted has no time factor in it.

    The time it would take, in your initial scenario of ice in a bucket, not the different subject of ocean heat content, needs a whole load more information about the shape, density and such of the ice to get any idea of how long it is going to take to melt.

    Your posts are so none-honest it is shocking. You have no clue at all about any physics related thing.
    It's almost as if he's not really an engineer.
    "If itís consensus, it isnít science. If itís science, it isnít consensus. Period." --Michael Crichton

  5. #235
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,664

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It's almost as if he's not really an engineer.
    Or wasn't an atmospheric physicist?

    Or maybe a would be.

  6. #236
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,075

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    The equation you posted has no time factor in it.

    The time it would take, in your initial scenario of ice in a bucket, not the different subject of ocean heat content, needs a whole load more information about the shape, density and such of the ice to get any idea of how long it is going to take to melt.

    Your posts are so none-honest it is shocking. You have no clue at all about any physics related thing.
    Oh, I assure, I understand "the thing". I guess the comprehension is beyond you. The higher the temperature of the water, the faster the surrounded ice will melt. If there is a huge mass of ice, and the water is constantly getting heated, the ice will continue to melt indefinitely, until it is gone. If you really want formulas that include time, they are readily available. Q' = U*ΔT*A. Your quibbling does nothing to refute scientific facts.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,664

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    Oh, I assure, I understand "the thing". I guess the comprehension is beyond you. The higher the temperature of the water, the faster the surrounded ice will melt. If there is a huge mass of ice, and the water is constantly getting heated, the ice will continue to melt indefinitely, until it is gone. If you really want formulas that include time, they are readily available. Q' = U*ΔT*A. Your quibbling does nothing to refute scientific facts.
    Stop talking about something different to the thing you started on.

    Remember the buckets with ice in them?

    If you don't you display some sort of mental crisis. Be careful you would not want the world thinking you have such a mental problem would you.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,075

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Stop talking about something different to the thing you started on.

    Remember the buckets with ice in them?

    If you don't you display some sort of mental crisis. Be careful you would not want the world thinking you have such a mental problem would you.
    Yes, the "bucket of ice" parallel. It was my analogy, not yours. If I choose to include time as a variable, that's my choice. It isn't necessary to demonstrate the melting principals of ice.

  9. #239
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,664

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    Yes, the "bucket of ice" parallel. It was my analogy, not yours. If I choose to include time as a variable, that's my choice. It isn't necessary to demonstrate the melting principals of ice.
    Yes, it was your scenario. You demonstrated that you had no clue about it. You showed that you did not understand that the equation you found did not include a time component or any reference to the temperature of the surroundings outside the ice and water.

    You then chose to wander off about ocean temperatures because you got it that you were out of your depth and then floundered about some more.

    To imply that the rest of us did not follow all this is disingenuous.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,075

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Yes, it was your scenario. You demonstrated that you had no clue about it. You showed that you did not understand that the equation you found did not include a time component or any reference to the temperature of the surroundings outside the ice and water.

    You then chose to wander off about ocean temperatures because you got it that you were out of your depth and then floundered about some more.

    To imply that the rest of us did not follow all this is disingenuous.
    The experiment, if setup properly, would demonstrate water temperature's effect on ice melting. It is also applicable to ice anywhere on earth. It would be a good classroom exercise. To satisfy your whims, they could even measure the time difference for complete thawing --->

    Try this science experiment at home. Get two buckets of ice. Put one in a room with 70 deg weather, and put the other in a room with 60 deg weather. Now add some 50 degree water to the bucket in the 70 deg room, and add some 40 deg water to the bucket in the 60 degree room. Which one melted first?

Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •