Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 831

Thread: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

  1. #11
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    78,964
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Arctic Sea Ice 8000 Years Ago less Than Half Of Today’s, Yet Polar Bears Thrived!

    By P Gosselin on 14. June 2019
    At Twitter NoTricksZone’s contributor Kenneth Richard posted this paper appearing in the Journal Science in 2011.
    The papers find that “summer temperatures during the HTM in North Greenland were 2° to 4°C warmer in this part of the Arctic.

    Atmospheric CO2 concentrations back then of course were much lower than the historically very modest 410 ppm we have today.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  2. #12
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    78,964
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    The OP is a false claim.

    Climate Scientists Astounded…No Arctic Ice Loss In 13 Years… Early June Arctic Ice Growing!

    By P Gosselin on 4. June 2019
    Modelled data by the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) show that Arctic sea ice stopped shrinking 13 years ago, defying earlier predictions made by climate scientists and models. By Kirye and Pierre Gosselin A few days ago we showed how Antarctica’s coastal stations were in fact cooling somewhat rather than warming. This came as a surprise […]
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  3. #13
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    10-17-19 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,733

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The OP is a false claim.

    Climate Scientists Astounded…No Arctic Ice Loss In 13 Years… Early June Arctic Ice Growing!

    By P Gosselin on 4. June 2019
    Modelled data by the Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) show that Arctic sea ice stopped shrinking 13 years ago, defying earlier predictions made by climate scientists and models. By Kirye and Pierre Gosselin A few days ago we showed how Antarctica’s coastal stations were in fact cooling somewhat rather than warming. This came as a surprise […]
    Look - it's a BLOG post!

  4. #14
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    10-17-19 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,733

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    I don't have a subscription to WAPO, but there is also this recent report from CNN.

    Arctic melt: The threat beneath the ice - CNN

    The Arctic is heating up twice as fast as the global average, causing massive melting of sea ice. But while we know climate change is warming the Arctic air, there is a lot more happening under the ice that we don't fully understand.
    ...
    Since 1990 the thickness of sea ice here has decreased by a third, from about 3 meters to 2 meters, according to the Fram Strait Arctic Observatory.

    The Fram Strait is where warm waters originating in Mexico are brought up by the Gulf Stream, flowing thousands of miles through the Atlantic to meet the Arctic ice edge. 80% of the ice movement in and out of the Arctic Ocean happens through here.

    ...
    "This warm water is at the surface as it comes up [from the south] and then it drops under the ice as it goes into the Arctic Ocean," says Wagner. "The layer that is under the ice has been coming up closer to the surface and melting the ice from underneath."
    ...
    As the sea ice melts, ice algae and phytoplankton are released into the sea. In the short term, this creates something of a nutrient injection that jump starts the cycle of life in the ocean.

    But this April saw a record loss of sea ice across the Arctic. Less ice ultimately puts that entire cycle at risk, with a smaller nutrient injection meaning less food further up the chain.

  5. #15
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    78,964
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    Look - it's a BLOG post!
    Do you dispute the DMI's data?



    Surprise. Arctic sea ice volume has not fallen in 13 years. Data source: Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI).
    As the above chart shows, the ice has in reality even grown a bit!

    The figures are based on calculations using DMI’s operational ocean and sea ice model HYCOM-CICE.
    This is why today it’s more important than ever to keep the focus on the real data and not the hysterical headlines that currently dominate the hype-filled media.
    And when we look at Arctic sea ice volume each year for June 1st this decade and plot it, we get the following:

    June 1st Arctic ice volume on June 1st has increased so far this decade. Data: DMI.
    Lo and behold: the chart above shows that early June ice volume has trended up over the current decade.
    How can anyone say the Arctic ice has been rapidly melting recently? The answer is that they can’t. Anyone claiming otherwise is just plain lying.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    33,988

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    And it will get worse unless Asia stops emitting all those aerosols.

  7. #17
    Professor
    Steve Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA - Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,416

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    I don't have a subscription to WAPO, but there is also this recent report from CNN.

    Arctic melt: The threat beneath the ice - CNN
    From your link:

    "It isolates the ice from the hot devil water sitting at the bottom waiting to come up" Wagner explains.

    Link to a photo of Dr. Till Wagner

    "Hot Devil water sitting at the bottom." That is really rich.
    These guys are totally full of themselves.
    Dr. James Hansen testified before Congress 31 years ago, and nearly all of the predictions and
    things said to be caused by "Global Warming/Climate Change" have turned out to be wrong.

  8. #18
    Professor
    Sabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,854

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Do you realize that Greenland was once actually green? Melting ice has revealed farmland, vineyards and mines that were once active, the mines still have tools laid out where the miners left them until the next summer, but apparently the next summer did not come as the cold took over. So now it is returning to the state it was once in and everyone thinks it terrible? Yes, climate changes.

  9. #19
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    103,406

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    Do you realize that Greenland was once actually green? Melting ice has revealed farmland, vineyards and mines that were once active, the mines still have tools laid out where the miners left them until the next summer, but apparently the next summer did not come as the cold took over. So now it is returning to the state it was once in and everyone thinks it terrible? Yes, climate changes.
    Did you know the earth was around over four billion years before humans appeared?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    The fact that China is now economically capitalist in no way contradicts its status as a communist country.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    10-17-19 @ 08:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,733

    Re: Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June melting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Do you dispute the DMI's data?



    Surprise. Arctic sea ice volume has not fallen in 13 years. Data source: Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI).
    As the above chart shows, the ice has in reality even grown a bit!

    The figures are based on calculations using DMI’s operational ocean and sea ice model HYCOM-CICE.
    This is why today it’s more important than ever to keep the focus on the real data and not the hysterical headlines that currently dominate the hype-filled media.
    And when we look at Arctic sea ice volume each year for June 1st this decade and plot it, we get the following:

    June 1st Arctic ice volume on June 1st has increased so far this decade. Data: DMI.
    Lo and behold: the chart above shows that early June ice volume has trended up over the current decade.
    How can anyone say the Arctic ice has been rapidly melting recently? The answer is that they can’t. Anyone claiming otherwise is just plain lying.
    I don't the twisted interpretations of your biased, unscientific Blogs. I don't believe the cherry-picking that they do, and I don't believe the way they misrepresent their sources. So many times, we have all shown how they distort data and science.

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •