Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

  1. #1
    Sensational

    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    40,822
    Blog Entries
    3

    Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Coca-Cola Co. produced more than 3 million tons of plastic packaging in 2017, according to a newly published report, the first time the soft drink giant has revealed its plastic output.
    Coca-Cola provided the information to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which is pushing for pro-environmental measures through its "New Plastics Economy initiative."

    The Guardian reported Thursday that Coca-Cola did not specify the scale of its bottle production, but that the 3.3 million tons of plastic packaging translates to roughly 108 billion bottles per year.

    Other companies that disclosed their plastic packaging output to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation include Mars, Nestle and Danone, which together produced roughly 8 million tons of plastic packaging per year, The Guardian reported.

    Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all.



    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter and plastic isn't really evil.

  2. #2
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    11,468

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola Co. produced more than 3 million tons of plastic packaging in 2017, according to a newly published report, the first time the soft drink giant has revealed its plastic output.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola provided the information to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which is pushing for pro-environmental measures through its "New Plastics Economy initiative."
    [/FONT]

    [FONT="]The Guardian reported Thursday that Coca-Cola did not specify the scale of its bottle production, but that the 3.3 million tons of plastic packaging translates to roughly 108 billion bottles per year.

    Other companies that disclosed their plastic packaging output to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation include Mars, Nestle and Danone, which together produced roughly 8 million tons of plastic packaging per year, The Guardian reported.

    Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all. [/FONT]



    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter and plastic isn't really evil.
    Plastic is cheap and sterile. I love glass bottles because I’m nostalgic, I buy Mexican Coke in glass bottles by the case, but plastic is superior. It’s not really that much plastic when you think of it.
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Last Seen
    05-18-19 @ 09:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,260

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    I never did quite understand why firms switched away from returnable bottles, milk delivered fresh to the door, and other reusable resources. Seemed to me that was one of those things that wasn't broke and didn't need fixin'.








    All sorts of things didn't come in plastic. Remember going to the butcher or fishmonger? They wrapped the meat, fish or poultry in brown waxed paper. Now, "everything's" in styrofoam and/or plastic.




  4. #4
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27,967

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola Co. produced more than 3 million tons of plastic packaging in 2017, according to a newly published report, the first time the soft drink giant has revealed its plastic output.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola provided the information to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which is pushing for pro-environmental measures through its "New Plastics Economy initiative."
    [/FONT]

    [FONT="]The Guardian reported Thursday that Coca-Cola did not specify the scale of its bottle production, but that the 3.3 million tons of plastic packaging translates to roughly 108 billion bottles per year.

    Other companies that disclosed their plastic packaging output to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation include Mars, Nestle and Danone, which together produced roughly 8 million tons of plastic packaging per year, The Guardian reported.

    Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all. [/FONT]



    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter and plastic isn't really evil.
    Of course this post is completely ignorant regarding the environmental impact of plastics.
    SOP that your posts ignore reality, and eschew intelligence.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn
    Ted Cassidy's character is a pussy.

  5. #5
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,022

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    I never did quite understand why firms switched away from returnable bottles, milk delivered fresh to the door, and other reusable resources. Seemed to me that was one of those things that wasn't broke and didn't need fixin'.








    All sorts of things didn't come in plastic. Remember going to the butcher or fishmonger? They wrapped the meat, fish or poultry in brown waxed paper. Now, "everything's" in styrofoam and/or plastic.



    Well, the plastic is cheaper and recycled plastic pellets can go into any number of things. Road construction, clothes, or just into another bottle.

    Also, recycling the bottles has become an industry on it's own, so that creates more jobs and more economic growth.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by James972 View Post
    After 50,000 years slavery ended when America began!. Do you understand?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Last Seen
    05-18-19 @ 09:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,260

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Well, the plastic is cheaper and recycled plastic pellets can go into any number of things. Road construction, clothes, or just into another bottle.

    Also, recycling the bottles has become an industry on it's own, so that creates more jobs and more economic growth.
    I appreciate your reply; however, I'm not going to engage because the substance of your reply -- it's reference to costs and economic grown absent so much as an allusion, to say nothing of an explicit reference, to externalities and/or social costs and private costs, or even to attenuating tech innovations -- suggests you're not prepared to seriously discuss the topic. (The topic isn't one that lends itself to "tweets.")

    That is what it is, but it yet is, and I'm just not interested in having a didactic engagement nor do I care to engage with folks who offer but summary pronouncements. Mind you, as shown by the dearth of responses to a thread I created some time back, one that touches on and leads eventually to issues such as "paper vs. plastic," or as is the case with this thread, "glass vs. plastic," a lot of folks aren't.


    I will, however, point you (and others who're interested) to some content that, should you read and master the ideas presented, you will be prepared enough to discuss the topic, at least on a layman's level.

  7. #7
    Educator
    Steve Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA - Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,244

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Coca-Cola Co. produced more than 3 million tons of plastic packaging in 2017
    ...Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually...
    Three million tons would be 3MM tons. But let's not quibble over a typo.
    I looked out my window earlier today and the hedgerow by the railroad
    tracks was festooned with plastic bags. Why do I see those flossing
    thingies in nearly every parking lot? There's always plastic bottles
    floating in the pond by the park across the way from me.

    It will be interesting to see how much litter all those kids who are on
    strike today leave behind. Maybe they will be better than some of the
    other demonstrations that have left a mess to clean up.
    Climatologists don't know what the temperature is today within 0.5C, and don't know
    what it was 100 years ago, but they know it's 0.8C 0.1C hotter now than it was then.

  8. #8
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    74,024
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola Co. produced more than 3 million tons of plastic packaging in 2017, according to a newly published report, the first time the soft drink giant has revealed its plastic output.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola provided the information to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which is pushing for pro-environmental measures through its "New Plastics Economy initiative."
    [/FONT]

    [FONT="]The Guardian reported Thursday that Coca-Cola did not specify the scale of its bottle production, but that the 3.3 million tons of plastic packaging translates to roughly 108 billion bottles per year.

    Other companies that disclosed their plastic packaging output to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation include Mars, Nestle and Danone, which together produced roughly 8 million tons of plastic packaging per year, The Guardian reported.

    Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all. [/FONT]



    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter and plastic isn't really evil.
    Gallic shrug.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #9
    Sage

    Rexedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    15,385

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    I appreciate your reply; however, I'm not going to engage because the substance of your reply -- it's reference to costs and economic grown absent so much as an allusion, to say nothing of an explicit reference, to externalities and/or social costs and private costs, or even to attenuating tech innovations -- suggests you're not prepared to seriously discuss the topic. (The topic isn't one that lends itself to "tweets.")

    That is what it is, but it yet is, and I'm just not interested in having a didactic engagement nor do I care to engage with folks who offer but summary pronouncements. Mind you, as shown by the dearth of responses to a thread I created some time back, one that touches on and leads eventually to issues such as "paper vs. plastic," or as is the case with this thread, "glass vs. plastic," a lot of folks aren't.


    I will, however, point you (and others who're interested) to some content that, should you read and master the ideas presented, you will be prepared enough to discuss the topic, at least on a layman's level.
    Begs the question; if you had chosen to engage, what would your post look like?

    Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them. Then you are an asshole. - George Carlin
    I know, everybody funny, now you funny,too. -George Thorogood

  10. #10
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,947

    Re: Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola Co. produced more than 3 million tons of plastic packaging in 2017, according to a newly published report, the first time the soft drink giant has revealed its plastic output.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]Coca-Cola provided the information to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, which is pushing for pro-environmental measures through its "New Plastics Economy initiative."
    [/FONT]

    [FONT="]The Guardian reported Thursday that Coca-Cola did not specify the scale of its bottle production, but that the 3.3 million tons of plastic packaging translates to roughly 108 billion bottles per year.

    Other companies that disclosed their plastic packaging output to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation include Mars, Nestle and Danone, which together produced roughly 8 million tons of plastic packaging per year, The Guardian reported.

    Coca-Cola reveals that it produces 3.3M tons of plastic packaging annually

    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all. [/FONT]



    That's a lot of plastic. Maybe there should be a return to reusable glass bottles that people who bring them back get paid something for them if still usable. Or maybe it doesn't matter and plastic isn't really evil.
    The plastic bottles of water in front of me has a 10 cent return here in Oregon. The bottle has five other states listed on it. My glass beer bottle is also a dime, and has eight other states listed on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •