Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 143

Thread: Eschatology and Global Warming

  1. #81
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,182

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Thanks for reinforcing my point.
    Reinforcing your point of slander?

    LOL...

  2. #82
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,737

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I see you were to embarrassed to link it. I guess you know the other followers of your religion will believe you without a thought. Those of us who are intelligent like to see proof.
    I thought you might be fully capable of doing your own work.

    Guess not
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,182

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I thought you might be fully capable of doing your own work.

    Guess not
    Why should I bother. I know you're wrong.

  4. #84
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,737

    Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Why should I bother. I know you're wrong.
    Of course. Because even if I posted it, you’d dismiss the source, or pretend it says something other than what it says.

    It’s what deniers do.


    But here’s a quote from him from about 2013 or so:


    Professor Anastasios Tsonis, of the University of Wisconsin, said: "We are already in a cooling trend, which I think will continue for the next 15 years at least. There is no doubt the warming of the 1980s and 1990s has stopped.”
    LOL.

    Spot on, eh?
    Last edited by Threegoofs; 01-12-19 at 08:03 PM.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #85
    Educator
    Steve Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA - Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Of course. Because even if I posted it, you’d dismiss the source, or pretend it says something other than what it says.

    It’s what deniers do.

    But here’s a quote from him from about 2013 or so:

    LOL.

    Spot on, eh?
    Your online persona is really crappy. Maybe you should do something about that. I know people on line that aren’t nearly as obnoxious as you are. They get a whole lot more respect from everyone.
    "Beware of averages. The average person has one breast and one testicle." --- Dixie Lee Ray

  6. #86
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,708

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I have long been intrigued by the incongruity of anthropogenic global warming's surprisingly thin evidence base and the adamancy of its advocates. Their use of the term "denier" to describe those skeptical of AGW suggests a state of mind outside that commonly associated with scientific inquiry. I was recently struck by a juxtaposition which may explain (at least in part) this phenomenon.
    I don't really see this as a crisis of faith, but a crisis of morality. Don't you think it's wrong to throw garbage into the ocean? Plow down the rain forest, a unique biodiverse system that can never recover, to plant soy and palm? Engage in polluting activities and habitat destruction that is causing widespread extinction? Is there no concern over what the future generations of humanity and animals will have to face in the pursuit of momentary satisfaction?

    This where intellectualism and logocentricism are complete and utter failures. They have no heart, no compassion, no morality. It is all dictated by mind, which in of itself is incapable of deciding morality. For that you need heart. The bait and switch that the "studies" create is trying to get people to use their minds to ignore what their hearts are telling them. I've travelled all over the world, to rich and poor countries alike, and everywhere I've been there is ground-level awareness of what's happening. People are seeing the radical transformation of their beautiful ecosystems into wastelands. But you have certain corporately sponsored science trying to convince people that nothing is wrong. It's totally immoral.

    If you look at a burning smoke stack that pours millions of cubic metres of dense carbon pollution in the air, don't you see something wrong with it? Just forget the policy level stuff for now along with the politics. Just LOOK AT IT. Don't you see a problem there? Don't you feel like humans could do better? Why aren't we?

    This is what I mean. All these arguments over studies and what not, it's all moot. Humans are patently wrecking the planet, if not through AGW, then a multitude of other ways. Is there not a moral problem in that?

    I grew up with regular exposure to the natural world. I recognize that humans must survive and to do that we have to use some resources, but we live in utter excess now. Consumer capitalism just won't last.

    When I see the word "denier" used, I understand its meaning. There are people who purport that there is nothing really problematic happening, even as the devastation mounts. The denier culture has even manipulated science in order to excuse the continued activities of industry. It has made science seem like a subjective art form. I am a scientist, I was trained in the scientific method as a biologist... I see people twist science all the time, all while completely ignoring the scientific method. "Denier" is the perfect word for it.

    We can't ignore this moral problem forever. The worlds ecosystems are part of our natural legacy. You talk about "thin evidence" but people aren't that stupid. Even in our industrial societies, people are amazingly aware of their surroundings. Everyone knows that something is very wrong, even if only blithely, and even if they don't know what they can do to fix it. Everyone is talking about it. The awareness will eventually cause a democratic response, even in countries that are fascist, because people are not going to sit idly by while the world burns to benefit an obsolete human system.

  7. #87
    Educator
    Steve Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA - Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    ...
    If you look at a burning smoke stack that pours millions of cubic metres of dense carbon pollution in the air, don't you see something wrong with it? Just forget the policy level stuff for now along with the politics. Just LOOK AT IT. Don't you see a problem there? Don't you feel like humans could do better? Why aren't we?...
    Great post except the above. Your side of the coin continually refers to carbon dioxide as carbon. The spin doctors want the public to equate CO2 with black smoke. That and the term “denier” that you used are really dishonest propaganda.

    Carbon dioxide is not pollution. It really is a necessary fraction of the atmosphere. Your side almost never acknowledges that important fact. And if they do, they find some BS way to pooh pooh the fact.
    "Beware of averages. The average person has one breast and one testicle." --- Dixie Lee Ray

  8. #88
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,737

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Case View Post
    Great post except the above. Your side of the coin continually refers to carbon dioxide as carbon. The spin doctors want the public to equate CO2 with black smoke. That and the term “denier” that you used are really dishonest propaganda.

    Carbon dioxide is not pollution. It really is a necessary fraction of the atmosphere. Your side almost never acknowledges that important fact. And if they do, they find some BS way to pooh pooh the fact.
    LOL.

    I assure you.

    Scientists know the difference between CO2 and Carbon.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  9. #89
    Educator
    Steve Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA - Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    LOL.

    I assure you.

    Scientists know the difference between CO2 and Carbon.
    I’m sure they do too, so do we see “carbon” in the popular press instead of CO2 ?
    "Beware of averages. The average person has one breast and one testicle." --- Dixie Lee Ray

  10. #90
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,737

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Case View Post
    I’m sure they do too, so do we see “carbon” in the popular press instead of CO2 ?
    I realize you think the popular press drives the science.

    But it doesn’t.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •