Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 164

Thread: Eschatology and Global Warming

  1. #61
    Sage Into the Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,185

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    That page timed out on me so I don't now your point. Heat pumps work great and are cheaper than electric heat. I don't know if the are cheaper than natural gas heat.

    Have to have modern designs for as cold as it gets in Massachusetts though. Many older designs don't work well, and some not all in freezing temperatures.
    Heat pumps need supplemental heating (like from natural gas or something) in most winter weather. They are great in the summer for the air conditioning they supply though, and they DO cut down on use of natural gas (or other furnace fuel) a bit in the winter.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,213

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Heat pumps need supplemental heating (like from natural gas or something) in most winter weather. They are great in the summer for the air conditioning they supply though, and they DO cut down on use of natural gas (or other furnace fuel) a bit in the winter.
    I don't buy that argument. Heat is heat, and the costs are involved in how much heat is being exchanged.

  3. #63
    Sage Into the Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,185

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I don't buy that argument. Heat is heat, and the costs are involved in how much heat is being exchanged.
    Heat is indeed heat. The costs differ in producing the same heat in different ways.

    Heat pumps are essentially air conditioners that can operate in reverse. There is a lot more heat available in the outside air than most people realize. By moving it into a house, you can reduce the amount of fuel you have to burn to produce the necessary heat. Heat pumps can concentrate the energy already available in the outside air and put it into your home. They actually can save money, depending on the costs for the fuel you would otherwise have to burn.

    Heat pumps have the added benefit of providing air conditioning in the summer.

    Modern heat pumps are also very quiet. My next door neighbor installed one. I can barely hear it when it's running. Larger buildings use them to heat that building. Those are the units you see mounted on the roof of the building. They work, and quite well.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,213

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Heat is indeed heat. The costs differ in producing the same heat in different ways.

    Heat pumps are essentially air conditioners that can operate in reverse. There is a lot more heat available in the outside air than most people realize. By moving it into a house, you can reduce the amount of fuel you have to burn to produce the necessary heat. Heat pumps can concentrate the energy already available in the outside air and put it into your home. They actually can save money, depending on the costs for the fuel you would otherwise have to burn.

    Heat pumps have the added benefit of providing air conditioning in the summer.

    Modern heat pumps are also very quiet. My next door neighbor installed one. I can barely hear it when it's running. Larger buildings use them to heat that building. Those are the units you see mounted on the roof of the building. They work, and quite well.
    Mine is about 2 years old now, dead quiet, and very efficient. My power bill went down substantially for both summer cooling and winter heating.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Media_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Seen
    01-17-19 @ 04:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,211

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Surface Detail View Post
    All pure supposition on your part. You have provided no evidence at all to support your claim that the sources were happy with, or even aware of, Lewin's book. Where are the glowing endorsements, the recommendations? It's all just your usual
    I followed this thread to here. 100% agreement. No evidence whatsoever. Just suppositions.

  6. #66
    Sage Into the Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,185

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Mine is about 2 years old now, dead quiet, and very efficient. My power bill went down substantially for both summer cooling and winter heating.
    I currently don't have one. Used to with a different house. I miss it. Thinking about putting one in on this house.

  7. #67
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    68,622
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Media_Truth View Post
    I followed this thread to here. 100% agreement. No evidence whatsoever. Just suppositions.
    No one quoted has claimed the quotes are inaccurate or out of context. You are in denial.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #68
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    68,622
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    The catastrophe narrative

    Posted on November 14, 2018 by curryja | 38 comments
    by Andy West
    A narrative propagated by emotive engagement, not veracity.
    Continue reading

    Within the public domain, there is a widespread narrative of certainty (absent deep emissions cuts) of near-term (decades) climate catastrophe. This narrative is not supported by mainstream science (no skeptical views required), and in the same manner as an endless sequence of historic cultural narratives, propagates via emotive engagement, not veracity.
    The catastrophe narrative is propagated by all levels of authority from the highest downwards, granting it huge influence, and differentially via favored functional arms of society, plus at the grass roots level. Over decades, various forms via which the catastrophe narrative best propagates have become established via selection, and can be categorized. While covering a large range, these forms typically feature powerful emotive cocktails (mixed emotions invoked simultaneously) and great urgency, which are highly adapted to undermining objectivity.
    This narrative elephant in the room not only tramples upon the mainstream output of science, but all other attempts at objectivity, at a minimum invoking bias wherever it propagates, and at maximum a complete disconnect from domain realities. While the catastrophe narrative is sometimes acknowledged even by those on the orthodox side of the climate change issue, it is typically neither studied nor opposed (and not infrequently its propagation is praised). On the skeptic side, there is often misunderstanding regarding who propagates this narrative and who merely fails to oppose it, which leads to mis-labelling. These issues are discussed in more detail within a companion post to be released shortly. Below deals just with narrative propagation and the forms via which this occurs. . . .

    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #69
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    68,622
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Eschatology and Global Warming

    Another expert climate professor retires and becomes outspoken skeptic

    Look, another climate expert the BBC won’t be interviewing

    Anastasios Tsonis is emeritus distinguished professor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He is the author of more than 130 peer reviewed papers and nine books. He is just retired, and finally able to speak his mind.
    The overblown and misleading issue of global warming
    Washington Times
    Anastasios Tsonis
    The fact that scientists who show results not aligned with the mainstream are labeled deniers is the backward mentality. We don’t live in the medieval times, when Galileo had to admit to something that he knew was wrong to save his life.
    Lives are not at risk, but careers sure seem to be. Not medieval times but perhaps modi-eval?
    So how many of the 97% of climate science believers are actually skeptics? Even after they retire there are lots of reasons for them to stay quiet.
    He’s willing to debate

    Science is all about proving, not believing. In that regard, I am a skeptic not just about global warming but also about many other aspects of science.
    All scientists should be skeptics. Climate is too complicated to attribute its variability to one cause. We first need to understand the natural climate variability (which we clearly don’t; I can debate anybody on this issue). Only then we can assess the magnitude and reasons of climate change. Science would have never advanced if it were not for the skeptics.
    The models were wrong. If they can’t explain the pause, they don’t understand the cause. (h/t HockeySchtick for that phrase.)
    All model projections made for the 21st century failed to predict the slowdown of the planet’s warming despite the fact that carbon dioxide emissions kept on increasing. Science is never settled. If science were settled, then we should pack things up and go home.
    My research over the years is focused on climate variability and climate dynamics. It is my educated opinion that many forces have shaped global temperature variation. Human activity, the oceans, extraterrestrial forces (solar activity and cosmic rays) and other factors are all in the mix. It may very well be that human activity is the primary reason, but having no strong evidence of the actual percent effect of these three major players, I will attribute 1/3 to each one of them.
    Good on him for speaking out. Shame he didn’t feel he could when he was employed.
    h/t Climate Depot and Pat.




    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #70
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,879

    Eschatology and Global Warming

    ‘Distinguished’ and UW-Milwaukee’ are not two things I’ve ever seen together in the same sentence.

    Nuff said.

    Edit:

    Just looked the guy up. His major research contributions were a paper that stated the earth was going into a ‘cooling’ phase in 2001, and he reiterated this in 2013.

    LOL.
    Last edited by Threegoofs; 01-12-19 at 11:38 AM.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •