Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 471

Thread: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice Avail

  1. #371
    Educator

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,201

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice A

    I keep waiting for the intelligent, rational rebuttal of Dr. Crockfords statements about Polar Bear population number changes, and its relation to sea ice cover, but continue to fall flat on their faces over their stupid education fallacy, stupid since she has a PHD in Zoology and over 30 years in the science.

    From About Bioscience,

    Excerpt:

    Zoologists are life scientists who study animals, observing them in the laboratory and in their natural habitat. They study the origin and development of species as well as their habits, behaviors and interactions. Zoologists, who also research the development of animal diseases, sometimes known as animal scientists or animal biologists because zoology is the branch of biology that deals with the animal kingdom.

    Since that is all they come up with these days, it is clear she is now one of the researchers who are at the FOREFRONT on Polar Bears history, habitat and population, eclipsing others who were once good researchers before they succumbed to the climate mania they have swallowed deeply. It is a sad testament when so many are unwilling to look at the data/evidence objectively.
    Last edited by Sunsettommy; 04-14-19 at 11:30 PM.

  2. #372
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    39,875

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice A

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    I keep waiting for the intelligent, rational rebuttal of Dr. Crockfords statements about Polar Bear population number changes, and its relation to sea ice cover, but continue to fall flat on their faces over their stupid education fallacy, stupid since she has a PHD in Zoology and over 30 years in the science.

    From About Bioscience,

    Excerpt:
    Literally, the woman has zero publications or research experience in polar bear populations or behavior, and has the lowest possible academic appointment ever- and adjunct professor at a minor college, meaning she might lecture on low level courses sometimes for about minimum wage.

    She’s also been absolutely excoriated in the scientific literature about her fake ‘expertise’ on bears, and literally is paid to write denier stuff for think tanks paid by fossil fuel companies.

    Anyone who thinks she’s an expert that deserves to be listened to is not just an idiot, but a blithering idiot.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  3. #373
    Professor
    Steve Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA - Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice A

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Literally, the woman has zero publications or research experience in polar bear populations or behavior, and has the lowest possible academic appointment ever- and adjunct professor at a minor college, meaning she might lecture on low level courses sometimes for about minimum wage.

    She’s also been absolutely excoriated in the scientific literature about her fake ‘expertise’ on bears, and literally is paid to write denier stuff for think tanks paid by fossil fuel companies.

    Anyone who thinks she’s an expert that deserves to be listened to is not just an idiot, but a blithering idiot.
    As I posted earlier, "The usual crowd here doesn't much like Dr. Suzy C"
    A blanket doesn't warm you, a blanket keeps you warm. There's a difference.

  4. #374
    Educator

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,201

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice A

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Case View Post
    As I posted earlier, "The usual crowd here doesn't much like Dr. Suzy C"
    His bias is so silly since he continues to ignore the description of what a ZOOLOGIST is:

    Zoologists are life scientists who study animals, observing them in the laboratory and in their natural habitat. They study the origin and development of species as well as their habits, behaviors and interactions. Zoologists, who also research the development of animal diseases, sometimes known as animal scientists or animal biologists because zoology is the branch of biology that deals with the animal kingdom.
    Zoology is a wide field offering many career opportunities for research, especially because there still is a great deal to learn about it. A career in zoology offers an opportunity to make a difference to the planet’s ecology through conservation work. Most zoologists are employed by colleges and universities, where they engage in research and teach students.
    boldings mine

    DR. Crockford, has been doing the following for over three decades now:

    Teaching

    I am currently an adjunct professor at the University of Victoria, British Columbia

    Published papers and Presentations

    **Crockford, S.J. 2017. Testing the hypothesis that routine sea ice coverage of 3-5 mkm2 results in a greater than 30% decline in population size of polar bears (Ursus maritimus). PeerJ Preprints 2 March 2017. Doi: 10.7287/peerj.preprints.2737v3 Open access. Testing the hypothesis that routine sea ice coverage of 3-5 mkm2 results in a greater than 30% decline in population size of polar bears (Ursus maritimus) [PeerJ Preprints]

    **Crockford, S. J. 2012a. A History of Polar Bears, Ringed Seals, and other Arctic and North Pacific Marine Mammals over the Last 200,000 Years. A report prepared for the State of Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development and The University of Alaska Fairbanks. Pacific Identifications Inc., Victoria, British Columbia.

    **Crockford, S.J. 2012c. Directionality in polar bear hybridization. Comment (May 1) to Hailer et al. 2012. “Nuclear genomic sequences reveal that polar bears are an old and distinct bear lineage.” Science 336:344-347. Follow link and click on “# comments” under the title http://comments.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.1216424

    **Crockford, S.J. 2012d. Directionality in polar bear hybridization. Comment, with references (May 1) to Edwards et al. 2011. “Ancient hybridization and an Irish origin for the modern polar bear matriline.” Current Biology 21:1251-1258. to view comments, go through the host website, http://www.Cell.com and find the paper at the Current Biology website. http://www.cell.com/current-biology/...645-2#Comments

    *Crockford, S.J. 2012b. Archaeozoology of Adak Island: 6000 years of subsistence history in the central Aleutians. Pg. 109-145 in D. West, V. Hatfield, E. Wilmerding, L. Gualtieri and C. Lefevre (eds), The People Before: The Geology, Paleoecology and Archaeology of Adak Island, Alaska. British Archaeological Reports International Series, Oxford, pg 109-145. ISBN 978-4073-0905-7

    More here

    This is the paper that drives warmists crazy, but never post a counter to it, they instead with around 7 listed authors (including Dr. Mann who has ZERO educational background about Polar Bears) posted a smearing attack paper on her personally:

    Testing the hypothesis that routine sea ice coverage of 3-5 mkm2 results in a greater than 30% decline in population size of polar bears (Ursus maritimus)

    LINK

  5. #375
    Educator

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,201

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice

    Another bogus Greenpeace claim, from Watts Up With That?

    Bogus Greenpeace claim that lost Russian polar bear is evidence of climate change

    Reposted from Polar Bear Science

    Posted on April 18, 2019 | Comments Off on Bogus Greenpeace claim that lost Russian polar bear is evidence of climate change

    Another day, another bogus starving polar bear claim from an environmental organization. Polar bear starvation is virtually never caused by climate change but apparently, Greenpeace thinks there are still some gullible folks out there who will believe anything they are told. A young male polar bear in poor condition found far south on the Russian coast of the Bering Sea a few days ago is an isolated incident: it is not evidence of anything except the sad fact that the life of a polar bear can sometimes be brutal. In contrast to these reports, Chukchi Sea polar bears are doing extremely well overall.

    LINK

    ================================================== ============================

    Greenpeace lied about DR. Moore being a Founding member.

    Greenpeace rakes in over $300 million a year.

  6. #376
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    39,875

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    Another bogus Greenpeace claim, from Watts Up With That?

    Bogus Greenpeace claim that lost Russian polar bear is evidence of climate change

    Reposted from Polar Bear Science

    Posted on April 18, 2019 | Comments Off on Bogus Greenpeace claim that lost Russian polar bear is evidence of climate change

    Another day, another bogus starving polar bear claim from an environmental organization. Polar bear starvation is virtually never caused by climate change but apparently, Greenpeace thinks there are still some gullible folks out there who will believe anything they are told. A young male polar bear in poor condition found far south on the Russian coast of the Bering Sea a few days ago is an isolated incident: it is not evidence of anything except the sad fact that the life of a polar bear can sometimes be brutal. In contrast to these reports, Chukchi Sea polar bears are doing extremely well overall.

    LINK

    ================================================== ============================

    Greenpeace lied about DR. Moore being a Founding member.

    Greenpeace rakes in over $300 million a year.
    Great.

    Now we have two posters spamming WUWT links.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  7. #377
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice

    Bogus Greenpeace claim that lost Russian polar bear is evidence of climate change

    Posted on April 18, 2019 | Comments Offon Bogus Greenpeace claim that lost Russian polar bear is evidence of climate change
    Another day, another bogus starving polar bear claim from an environmental organization. Polar bear starvation is virtually never caused by climate change but apparently, Greenpeace thinks there are still some gullible folks out there who will believe anything they are told. A young male polar bear in poor condition found far south on the Russian coast of the Bering Sea a few days ago is an isolated incident: it is not evidence of anything except the sad fact that the life of a polar bear can sometimes be brutal. In contrast to these reports, Chukchi Sea polar bears are doing extremely well overall.
    Headline from The Guardian 18 April 2019
    Continue reading
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  8. #378
    Educator

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,201

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice

    Watts Up With That?

    Polar Bears: Which Narrative to Believe?

    May 1, 2019

    EXCERPT:

    Originally published May 1, 2019 in the Pacifica Tribune column What’s Natural by Jim Steele, republished here by request of the author.

    When polar bear expert Mitch Taylor modeled populations in the Baffin Bay region (west of Greenland) in the 1980s, he estimated between 300 and 600 bears. Inuit hunters protested his estimates were far too low, and Baffin Bay’s hunting quotas far too small. So, Taylor and Inuit hunters sat together in “kappiananngittuq” to discuss their disagreements. The Inuit pointed out he surveyed during a time and in a place that overlooked a large portion of the population. Naturally, models driven by poor data always fail to model reality.

    To Taylor’s credit, he redesigned his surveys based on hunters’ recommendations. The new survey tripled population estimates to over 2000 bears. Although a trend in the bear population could not be determined, it has been universally agreed that since the 1974 International Agreement for the Conservation of Polar Bears, polar bear populations were increasing due to better hunting regulations.

    LINK
    ================================================== =============

    More evidence that shows low to no Summer ice cover is largely irrelevant to Polar Bear survival.

  9. #379
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    80,923
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice A

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Yes.

    National Geographic and Scientific American are well known propaganda sites.
    National Geographic has certainly given itself over to propaganda, again.

    More starving polar bear nonsense from National Geographic & a better video to watch

    Posted on May 6, 2019 | Comments Offon More starving polar bear nonsense from National Geographic & a better video to watch
    This time National Geographic’s ‘Hostile Planet’ series laughably claims a fat polar bear that’s caught a beluga calf off the coast of Western Hudson Bay has been saved from starvation! The message: here is a prime example of climate change pushing a species to its limit. This is nonsense, of course: polar bears hunting beluga whales from rocks has nothing to do with climate change or desperately hungry bears. More importantly, there is a much better video of the action that is both more informative and truthful.

    See both below and decide which you’d prefer your kids or grandkids to watch.
    Continue reading
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  10. #380
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    39,875

    Re: New Research Finds Polar Bear Numbers Up 42% Since 2004 – Survival Rates Unaffected By Sea Ice A

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    National Geographic has certainly given itself over to propaganda, again.

    More starving polar bear nonsense from National Geographic & a better video to watch

    Posted on May 6, 2019 | Comments Offon More starving polar bear nonsense from National Geographic & a better video to watch
    This time National Geographic’s ‘Hostile Planet’ series laughably claims a fat polar bear that’s caught a beluga calf off the coast of Western Hudson Bay has been saved from starvation! The message: here is a prime example of climate change pushing a species to its limit. This is nonsense, of course: polar bears hunting beluga whales from rocks has nothing to do with climate change or desperately hungry bears. More importantly, there is a much better video of the action that is both more informative and truthful.

    See both below and decide which you’d prefer your kids or grandkids to watch.
    Continue reading
    I’ll stick with the Nat Geo expert interpretation over some fake ‘expert’ who literally has been called out in the literature as a fake.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •