Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

  1. #11
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    63,233

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    true or false, the earth was created 4.54 billion years ago?

    if the student, trained under a creationist doctrine, answers "false", are they to be found wrong for purposes of grading the test?
    Seems like that's a bad question, then, especially since even the best science doesn't claim it's "true", only "most likely based on available evidence".



    True or False: God gave individual human beings inalienable rights?

  2. #12
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,374

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Seems like that's a bad question, then, especially since even the best science doesn't claim it's "true", only "most likely based on available evidence".



    True or False: God gave individual human beings inalienable rights?
    Is Homo sapiens sapiens related to Pan paniscus? Was Homo sapiens neandertalensis an ancestor of modern humans? Was Australopithecus afarensis an ancestor of Homo sapiens sapiens? When did Australopithecus afarensis walk about Africa?

    What was the largest wooden vessel ever constructed? How many animals could it hold in cages and for what length of time could the ship carry sufficient food for those animals?

    Have the ruins of the Tower of Babel ever been discovered?

    In what year, according to the best research was the tel, known today as the site of the city of Jericho, a functioning city and when was it destroyed?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  3. #13
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,992

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Seems like that's a bad question, then, especially since even the best science doesn't claim it's "true", only "most likely based on available evidence".
    then more "true" than "false"

    but the quandary for teachers is now apparent to you?



    True or False: God gave individual human beings inalienable rights?
    false
    what did i win?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Imaging the pit of sheer vileness one one would have to descend to to make Coulter abandon you.
    ​45<44

  4. #14
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    63,233

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    then more "true" than "false"

    but the quandary for teachers is now apparent to you?
    They continue to be expected to not use bad questions for tests? That doesn't seem all that terribly strenuous, and, frankly, I'm not certain we should have people incapable of this teaching science at all.


    false
    what did i win?
    You fail the test you established.

  5. #15
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    63,233

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Is Homo sapiens sapiens related to Pan paniscus? Was Homo sapiens neandertalensis an ancestor of modern humans? Was Australopithecus afarensis an ancestor of Homo sapiens sapiens? When did Australopithecus afarensis walk about Africa?
    All you have to do is add the phrase "according to Evolutionary theory" at the beginning of any of those questions.

    What was the largest wooden vessel ever constructed? How many animals could it hold in cages and for what length of time could the ship carry sufficient food for those animals?
    Similarly, "According to the book of Genesis".

    Have the ruins of the Tower of Babel ever been discovered?

    In what year, according to the best research was the tel, known today as the site of the city of Jericho, a functioning city and when was it destroyed?
    Pretty sure Jericho was destroyed multiple times. But I'd wonder why this (and the question about the tower of Babel) were questions in the first place.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,374

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    All you have to do is add the phrase "according to Evolutionary theory" at the beginning of any of those questions.



    Similarly, "According to the book of Genesis".



    Pretty sure Jericho was destroyed multiple times. But I'd wonder why this (and the question about the tower of Babel) were questions in the first place.

    The species I named are all viewed as related to modern humans owing to DNA examinations - relations which do not conform with the tale of creation(s) we can read in the Bible.

    A student should be given a passing grade on a basic geology exam if they answer: "According to the book of Genesis"?

    Good. Jericho was destroyed multiple times. Unfortunately, for the Bible believers, none of the times of destruction were during the period when Joshua supposedly attacked the city. Then there is the whole problem with the non-existence of the Hebrews leaving Egypt as described in the Book of Exodus - but, public schools don't talk about that.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #17
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46,992

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    They continue to be expected to not use bad questions for tests? That doesn't seem all that terribly strenuous, and, frankly, I'm not certain we should have people incapable of this teaching science at all.




    You fail the test you established.
    if inalienable rights are G_d-given, then why do so many on this planet not possess them?

    and in our founders' day, why did the blacks not possess them?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Imaging the pit of sheer vileness one one would have to descend to to make Coulter abandon you.
    ​45<44

  8. #18
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,374

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if inalienable rights are G_d-given, then why do so many on this planet not possess them?

    and in our founders' day, why did the blacks not possess them?
    Not only Africans, but also women and Native Americans.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #19
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    63,233

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if inalienable rights are G_d-given, then why do so many on this planet not possess them?
    Those who believe they are God granted would say that they do have those rights, and that the government's who abuse them are therefore wrong to do so.

    But the question here is: Should a child who is learning about that concept be forced to affirm it and pretend to believe it in order to pass school?

  10. #20
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    63,233

    Re: Ohio lawmakers clear bill critics say could expand religion in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    The species I named are all viewed as related to modern humans owing to DNA examinations - relations which do not conform with the tale of creation(s) we can read in the Bible.

    A student should be given a passing grade on a basic geology exam if they answer: "According to the book of Genesis"?
    If the concept they are being taught and tested on was the Book of Genesis, certainly.

    If, however, the school was teaching a part of the Old Testament and insisted the student affirm it as their own worldview, then that would be wrong.

    The public education Monopoly needs to be broken up, generally, to allow parents to exercise choice. In the meantime, public schools should teach concepts without forcing a particular set of religious beliefs on the child, or punishing them for their own or lack thereof. This is hardly difficult.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •