Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

  1. #41
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    09-14-19 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by GodlessBrandy View Post
    The fact is online schooling for virtually all people of all age groups will eventually be the reality. Most schools will close and online schooling with become the norm.
    I don't see that happening very soon and especially not for all age groups. Also the powers to be have a vested interest to keep as many fannies in the classrooms as possible. Don't you realize that the more someone sits in a classroom the more productive they will become?

  2. #42
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Last Seen
    07-10-19 @ 08:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    192

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    I don't see that happening very soon and especially not for all age groups. Also the powers to be have a vested interest to keep as many fannies in the classrooms as possible. Don't you realize that the more someone sits in a classroom the more productive they will become?
    I agree there are benefits to schools that people cannot learn online. However, I think you are being naive if you think that's not going to be the wave of the future.

  3. #43
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    09-14-19 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by GodlessBrandy View Post
    I agree there are benefits to schools that people cannot learn online. However, I think you are being naive if you think that's not going to be the wave of the future.
    It's already happening, so I'm not disagreement with you. The thing is as far as I can tell there has not been a big push for this in particularly at the K to 12th grade levels.

  4. #44
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    526

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    The problem with online education is that a big part school is about acquiring social skills and learning to cope with differences of opinion, of culture, of interests, etc.

    To be fair, I am not sure children really learn those things nowadays because you cannot learn this if there is always an authority figure resolving the dispute on behalf of children or even teenagers. Back when I was a kid (the 90s are not so far gone), the rules of imaginary games were negotiated among ourselves. Any disputes needed to be handled among ourselves. Everyone just knew you don't rate out your mate to an adult. Getting adults involved was a sure way to be deprived of friends for days. Adults also had a profound distaste for getting involved, except for extreme cases like someone getting hurt really bad or bullying getting so out of hand things were getting closer to assault than insults. A big part of Haidt's argument about the causes of new phenomena on college campuses concerns the fact the things I just mentioned got increasingly scarce in the late 90s in the US.

    The only way you get it is when you let people solve the mess they created on their own. So, if the world eventually turns to much cheaper online education (a teacher can record lectures a few times and use them repeatedly, so it is a very efficient way to convey information), we would also need to find a way to get people to learn how to cope with conflicts, small and large. You have to learn to weigh your own goals against those of others in a way that allows you to reach an agreement whenever possible. You have to learn to discuss various options calmly with people who don't see things as you do and to learn how to stop arguing and move on when none of the people involved can converge on a single opinion. These things are more important than most of what people officially learn in class, save perhaps for reading, writing, and counting.

  5. #45
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,301

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    The problem with online education is that a big part school is about acquiring social skills and learning to cope with differences of opinion, of culture, of interests, etc.

    To be fair, I am not sure children really learn those things nowadays because you cannot learn this if there is always an authority figure resolving the dispute on behalf of children or even teenagers. Back when I was a kid (the 90s are not so far gone), the rules of imaginary games were negotiated among ourselves. Any disputes needed to be handled among ourselves. Everyone just knew you don't rate out your mate to an adult. Getting adults involved was a sure way to be deprived of friends for days. Adults also had a profound distaste for getting involved, except for extreme cases like someone getting hurt really bad or bullying getting so out of hand things were getting closer to assault than insults. A big part of Haidt's argument about the causes of new phenomena on college campuses concerns the fact the things I just mentioned got increasingly scarce in the late 90s in the US.

    The only way you get it is when you let people solve the mess they created on their own. So, if the world eventually turns to much cheaper online education (a teacher can record lectures a few times and use them repeatedly, so it is a very efficient way to convey information), we would also need to find a way to get people to learn how to cope with conflicts, small and large. You have to learn to weigh your own goals against those of others in a way that allows you to reach an agreement whenever possible. You have to learn to discuss various options calmly with people who don't see things as you do and to learn how to stop arguing and move on when none of the people involved can converge on a single opinion. These things are more important than most of what people officially learn in class, save perhaps for reading, writing, and counting.
    it is as if you do not realize that the resolution of personal conflicts can occur outside a classroom

    why must such social behavior be learned inside a classroom?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    "Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man and a weak man's idea of a strong man." ...
    ​45<44

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,661

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    The problem with online education is that a big part school is about acquiring social skills and learning to cope with differences of opinion, of culture, of interests, etc.
    This was always the concern about homeschooling, and that criticism has been met by homeschoolers' associations. The one in my community is well over 25 years old now, and there are plenty of opportunities to acquire social skills and so on. There were always homeschooled kids on my kids' Little League teams, for example.

  7. #47
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    526

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    It is as if you do not realize that the resolution of personal conflicts can occur outside a classroom. Why must such social behavior be learned inside a classroom?
    I am not at all implying that they do not have other opportunities to acquire social skills. My point is rather that if you trade in-class learning for online learning, you reduce the time children spend interacting with each other, at least for part of the week, because you are looking at spending more time learning on your own versus more time learning in a group. The impact is admittedly unclear because (a) as you pointed out, they can learn these skills elsewhere and (b) it might change how they spend their spare time or even how much time they can enjoy as leisure hours.

    Another point someone could raise with respect to my comment is that it is a lot less of a concern if you consider you need people with a certain degree of autonomy to do things on their own. The online learning might be of primary interests for high school students.

  8. #48
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    526

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    This was always the concern about homeschooling, and that criticism has been met by homeschoolers' associations. The one in my community is well over 25 years old now, and there are plenty of opportunities to acquire social skills and so on. There were always homeschooled kids on my kids' Little League teams, for example.
    Homeschooled children do offer some kind of test. I have no idea how they fare on average, but the idea could be carried out at least in principle and probably has been carried out in past research.

  9. #49
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    283

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Quote Originally Posted by GodlessBrandy View Post
    The fact is online schooling for virtually all people of all age groups will eventually be the reality. Most schools will close and online schooling with become the norm.
    I'm interested in your use of the word "fact" here. Can you explain why this is fact rather than opinion?

  10. #50
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,305

    Re: Should Public Schooling Go Online?

    Kansas has a very successful K-12 online program leading to a diploma. Adults at any age who did not finish high school or have a GED can also finish high school and receive a diploma, from Centre School district. Yes, it's a real diploma from a real school district.

    many students who still attend brick and mortar schools take online classes in subjects they previously failed, or take additional online classes to graduate early, or to take classes that aren't sometimes offered at their school, like advanced math. Additionally, students can take college classes online for credit.

    It is much cheaper than a brick and mortar school to operate (per student), and does not require high speed bandwidth.

    One of the benefits is the many groups available for students to socialize. And parents have more control outside of school to monitor who their kids are socializing with.

    Kansas Online Learning Program | A tuition-free, online, K-12 school

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •