Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 111

Thread: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

  1. #1
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    48,298

    America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    America Is Losing Its Teachers at a Record Rate
    During the first 10 months of the year, public educators, including teachers, community college faculty members, and school psychologists, quit their positions at a rate of 83 per 10,000, Labor Department figures obtained by The Wall Street Journal show. Thatís the highest rate since the government started collecting the data in 2001. Itís also nearly double the 48 per 10,000 educators who quit their positions in 2009, the year with the lowest number of departures.



    Teachers are indeed leaving for a variety of reasons. I think that there are many factors unrelated to pay and benefits that make teaching more difficult than it used to be: gangs, out of touch bureaucrats calling the shots, too many children from dysfunctional families, more responsibility for the school and less for the parents, there are many factors behind teachers' decision to find another career.



    The above post is a reflection of my great and unmatched wisdom. Please revere it.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    52,925

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    America is losing its teachers at a record rate
    this sucks. my grandmother, both my parents, and my wife have dedicated their careers to teaching.

  3. #3
    Teacher of All Things

    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    33,440

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    This year I have said repeatedly that if I could find a different, less stressful job that I love that paid around the same amount, I'd be out of there in two seconds.
    Not R or D 2020

  4. #4
    Sage
    Bucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,879
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    America Is Losing Its Teachers at a Record Rate



    Teachers are indeed leaving for a variety of reasons. I think that there are many factors unrelated to pay and benefits that make teaching more difficult than it used to be: gangs, out of touch bureaucrats calling the shots, too many children from dysfunctional families, more responsibility for the school and less for the parents, there are many factors behind teachers' decision to find another career.



    You forgot all the pedophiles becoming teachers and acting out their sexual urges.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    That's on us, the parents. We send our little ****s to school, and forget about them...until something goes wrong. Principle office visit, bad grade, teacher conference, etc. And THEN what do we do? Blame the teacher, of course! They should have tried harder, taught my darling little angel better, or seen that they were being picked on, and that's why they acted out, etc.

    Our youth are spoiled, because we've spared the rod, and are trying to be their friends, and not their parents. And ultimately, the ones who get stressed the most are teachers, because they are the most limited in options for what to do about it.

    Then, add increased class sizes (because we don't want to pay taxes), unrealistic arbitrary expetations, Crap pay, and red tape, and, well...yeah. No one wants to do that job. Being a janitor pays better, and is far simpler.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    48,298

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You forgot all the pedophiles becoming teachers and acting out their sexual urges.
    Mainly because that meme is a bunch of

    The above post is a reflection of my great and unmatched wisdom. Please revere it.

  7. #7
    Guru
    MrPeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,595

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    America Is Losing Its Teachers at a Record Rate



    Teachers are indeed leaving for a variety of reasons. I think that there are many factors unrelated to pay and benefits that make teaching more difficult than it used to be: gangs, out of touch bureaucrats calling the shots, too many children from dysfunctional families, more responsibility for the school and less for the parents, there are many factors behind teachers' decision to find another career.



    I can tell you that at least in my state pay and benefits are far and away the biggest reasons teachers leave. Those were literally the only two demands from the massive teacher's strike recently. I've got to think, from the outside, that the lack of respect for teachers in our modern culture also plays a part in people leaving the profession. I couldn't imagine putting myself in debt to get a degree only to be underpaid and overworked while local politicians talk about how lazy I was for wanting more.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Bucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,879
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    That's on us, the parents. We send our little ****s to school, and forget about them...until something goes wrong. Principle office visit, bad grade, teacher conference, etc. And THEN what do we do? Blame the teacher, of course! They should have tried harder, taught my darling little angel better, or seen that they were being picked on, and that's why they acted out, etc.

    Our youth are spoiled, because we've spared the rod, and are trying to be their friends, and not their parents. And ultimately, the ones who get stressed the most are teachers, because they are the most limited in options for what to do about it.

    Then, add increased class sizes (because we don't want to pay taxes), unrealistic arbitrary expetations, Crap pay, and red tape, and, well...yeah. No one wants to do that job. Being a janitor pays better, and is far simpler.
    How has this been different the past, like 100 years?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    Sage
    GDViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,481

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You forgot all the pedophiles becoming teachers and acting out their sexual urges.

    Disenfranchised priests???

  10. #10
    Sage
    GDViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,481

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    I can tell you that at least in my state pay and benefits are far and away the biggest reasons teachers leave. Those were literally the only two demands from the massive teacher's strike recently. I've got to think, from the outside, that the lack of respect for teachers in our modern culture also plays a part in people leaving the profession. I couldn't imagine putting myself in debt to get a degree only to be underpaid and overworked while local politicians talk about how lazy I was for wanting more.
    Yip our illustrious Scott Walker led the attack on teachers with his act ten a d his divide and conquer method of governing.

    The people didn't like it and elected the education superintendent to replace him.

    Hopefully Wisconsin will return to the time teachers were not only paid fairly but actually respected for the difficult job they do.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •