Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 111

Thread: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

  1. #11
    "I want MY WALL!"
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    09-18-19 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,932

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    My mom was a teacher. I'm so glad she didn't work in the current political and social environment. I think she'd handle the social aspect okay, but the demonizing of the profession by some of these empty headed stooges in the political arena, I'm glad she retired before that really got going.
    Maybe they like Trump because they're like Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    I don't get the facts from Fox News and others. I am one of the people supplying them with the facts.

  2. #12
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    26,357
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    America Is Losing Its Teachers at a Record Rate



    Teachers are indeed leaving for a variety of reasons. I think that there are many factors unrelated to pay and benefits that make teaching more difficult than it used to be: gangs, out of touch bureaucrats calling the shots, too many children from dysfunctional families, more responsibility for the school and less for the parents, there are many factors behind teachers' decision to find another career.



    Another problem that crops up here (Canada) now and then is female teachers and nurses being lured by big bucks in Persian Gulf countries.
    "If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks. Though the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know.”
    -DeeJay Trump-

  3. #13
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    48,086

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen View Post
    My mom was a teacher. I'm so glad she didn't work in the current political and social environment. I think she'd handle the social aspect okay, but the demonizing of the profession by some of these empty headed stooges in the political arena, I'm glad she retired before that really got going.
    I also taught in the public schools for 38 years before retiring in '04. I'm glad I got out when I did, too. Those "empty headed stooges" were bad enough then.

    There are two professions that allow people to see the decay of society up close and personal: teaching and law enforcement. Were I back to being 18 again, I'd run like mad from either of those two career choices.


    "The Republicans have gone from Abraham Lincoln to Sarah Palin to Donald Trump. No wonder they don't believe in evolution." Andy Borowitz

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,288

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You forgot all the pedophiles becoming teachers and acting out their sexual urges.
    When your friends tell you those are their plans, why aren't you stopping them?
    President Lyndon B. Johnson: "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

  5. #15
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    26,357
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You forgot all the pedophiles becoming teachers and acting out their sexual urges.
    Oh look. Bucky was here.
    Anyone got a snow shovel?
    "If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks. Though the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know.”
    -DeeJay Trump-

  6. #16
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,130

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    America Is Losing Its Teachers at a Record Rate



    Teachers are indeed leaving for a variety of reasons. I think that there are many factors unrelated to pay and benefits that make teaching more difficult than it used to be: gangs, out of touch bureaucrats calling the shots, too many children from dysfunctional families, more responsibility for the school and less for the parents, there are many factors behind teachers' decision to find another career.



    Also the high standard of requiring a 4 year degree. Who wants to go $60k in debt for a profession that has no career ladder to pay off that debt

  7. #17
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,548

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    How has this been different the past, like 100 years?
    Over time students have been empowered with “rights”. So the fear of reprisal for being a trouble maker has diminished. A student tells you “you cant do bleep to me” and the little **** is right.

    Or how about teaching in a school where kids struggle with spelling and grammar, but know all the prison slang because they visit prison instead of church on sunday.

    We have created a huge underclass that we deny exists because its makes us look at our ugliness in the mirror and wonder, “What the bleep can I do about it”.

    Progressive leader of the world, California is competing with W. virginia (?) for that coveted last place award in education. So obviously, money is not the only answer. I lean more toward military levels of discipline, weighted gloves optional. LOL
    Treat college as the risky investment it is.
    When it’s raining thread craps, you know you have struck a nerve!
    We killed God, family, and community. Now it’s killing us.
    Racism is not being able to read racist rap lyrics out loud because you are white.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    52,230

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    This year I have said repeatedly that if I could find a different, less stressful job that I love that paid around the same amount, I'd be out of there in two seconds.
    my opinion means little, but keep at it as long as you can. some of us appreciate what you do.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    48,086

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiechan View Post
    Over time students have been empowered with “rights”. So the fear of reprisal for being a trouble maker has diminished. A student tells you “you cant do bleep to me” and the little **** is right.

    Or how about teaching in a school where kids struggle with spelling and grammar, but know all the prison slang because they visit prison instead of church on sunday.

    We have created a huge underclass that we deny exists because its makes us look at our ugliness in the mirror and wonder, “What the bleep can I do about it”.

    Progressive leader of the world, California is competing with W. virginia (?) for that coveted last place award in education. So obviously, money is not the only answer. I lean more toward military levels of discipline, weighted gloves optional. LOL
    Money alone won't solve the problem, but that's one thing among others that is necessary. What you say about students' "rights" is right on the mark.

    I can remember years ago we would put boxing gloves on kids who were determined to get into a fight and let them have at it. Imagine doing that today! We also had the use of a paddle when necessary, but I'm not so sure that's really a good idea. Detention/time out is a better option.

    One thing for sure when it comes to student discipline: If the parents are against you, you lose. The kid loses, too, but he doesn't realize that until later in life.


    "The Republicans have gone from Abraham Lincoln to Sarah Palin to Donald Trump. No wonder they don't believe in evolution." Andy Borowitz

  10. #20
    Educator
    SkyFox76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Down the street
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,143

    Re: America is losing its teachers at a record rate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    How has this been different the past, like 100 years?
    I'd say there has been a huge difference just from the time I was in school. Kids weren't catered to when I was in school. Yes, we had a maybe a handful of students that felt they could walk a different line, but they were dealt with and learned to respect the people offering them an education. We never demanded "student rights" because we didn't like the rules. We didn't demand snack and soda machines or leaving the campus to get lunch at McD's. We also didn't have our noses glued to cell phones. My generation had stay at home moms (some dads) who saw to it we were learning and not disrupting. We didn't have school day care because simply put, we had no pregnant girls in the school or with children. We ate our lunches that were offered. If a teacher reprimanded us, we paid attention.

    So yes, there is a huge difference in schools now verses the past.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •