Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

  1. #1
    Sage

    JacksinPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    13,459

    Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears | TheHill

    U.S. stock markets plummeted Monday morning amid fears that the coronavirus will continue to spread beyond China's borders.

    The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 900 points, or 3.1 percent, among its biggest one-day drops in recent years, while the S&P 500 Index dropped 100 points, or 3 percent percent, less than a week after reaching a record high.
    ==============================================
    Buy precious metals.

    This plague is good news for Trump's reelection. Perfect timing.
    'Make America great' - Benito Mussolini, Fascist Dictator, 1927 newsreel clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5l_r8MG5II

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    59,027

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    Quote Originally Posted by JacksinPA View Post
    Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears | TheHill

    U.S. stock markets plummeted Monday morning amid fears that the coronavirus will continue to spread beyond China's borders.

    The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 900 points, or 3.1 percent, among its biggest one-day drops in recent years, while the S&P 500 Index dropped 100 points, or 3 percent percent, less than a week after reaching a record high.
    ==============================================
    Buy precious metals.

    This plague is good news for Trump's reelection. Perfect timing.
    Its temporary. Dont panic

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Englewood, Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    66,962

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    I mean, this won't last til November, so I wouldn't count on it having an effect on the election. It's just a panic by the markets, which like to panic a lot.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Sage
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,701

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    More likely it is because Bernie moved ahead. Coronavirus is not new.

  5. #5
    Educator
    TheEconomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    05-31-20 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,087

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    If you think you can make sense of why stock market indexes fall over a day, you really have no clue what you're talking about. Almost all movements you see in asset prices in sufficiently liquid financial markets is pure noise. Chances are that nearly 100% of the commentary you read in journals, online or in the media is not only extremely stale information, but most likely just a bunch of bad conjectures made about relationships that actually are entirely spurious.
    All people who oppose free speech are trying to sell you snake oil. There is absolutely no exception to this rule.

  6. #6
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    05-15-20 @ 08:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,262

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Almost all movements you see in asset prices in sufficiently liquid financial markets is pure noise.
    I wouldn’t label it as noise, but waves in market behavior. And this fall in asset prices is just the very beginning of a two to ten year corrective wave. There will be no more record ATH’s, just record losses, which I take no pleasure in stating.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    Chances are that nearly 100% of the commentary you read in journals, online or in the media is not only extremely stale information, but most likely just a bunch of bad conjectures made about relationships that actually are entirely spurious.
    Exactly.

  7. #7
    Professor
    Rickeroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,971

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    Quote Originally Posted by JacksinPA View Post
    Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears | TheHill

    U.S. stock markets plummeted Monday morning amid fears that the coronavirus will continue to spread beyond China's borders.

    The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 900 points, or 3.1 percent, among its biggest one-day drops in recent years, while the S&P 500 Index dropped 100 points, or 3 percent percent, less than a week after reaching a record high.
    ==============================================
    Buy precious metals.

    This plague is good news for Trump's reelection. Perfect timing.
    Buying more mutual funds at Dow 30,000 seemed a bit premium to me, though they say don't try to time the market. It's about 27,000 now. I'll buy within the next few weeks, as I was going to buy anyway.
    Let's treat ourselves like we treat our fellow man. I'm moving my family to the Pine Ridge reservation. Who's with me?

  8. #8
    Educator
    TheEconomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    05-31-20 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,087

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck naked View Post
    I wouldn’t label it as noise, but waves in market behavior. And this fall in asset prices is just the very beginning of a two to ten year corrective wave. There will be no more record ATH’s, just record losses, which I take no pleasure in stating.
    When I say that returns are almost pure noise in those markets, I mean something specific that isn't inconsistent with the point you are trying to make.

    If you run backtests for a wide array of forecasting models for stock market returns, you will generally conclude two things: (1) it is almost impossible to beat a constant for point forecast which maps into a random walk model of prices; (2) when you do find some superior method, it generally has a laughably small forecasting power. It might explain less than 4-5% of variance outside out-of-sample, unless you cheat (for example, by using the final values for macroeconomic data as opposed to using real time vintages). Then you turn around and try to build a trading strategy to capitalize on this. Chances are, as soon as you take into account the fact that trading isn't free, that good trading opportunities might be rare, that it might force you to sit on cash, etc., you will find that it's just better to buy and hold simple portfolios that expose you to well known risk factors. It's also the case, by the way, that if you look at active fund managers, you almost always find that they aren't worth their fees...

    That is specifically what I mean when I say that stock market returns is almost pure noise. It means the efficient market hypothesis is like 99% true. Now, does it mean that what you say is wrong? Well, maybe you ran into something useful. In practice, the dynamic behind the results I describe doesn't magically come into existence: you need people trying to capitalize on new information or new insights to force prices to kill off the opportunities they offer. I am aware that you have something odd in mind that isn't necessarily easy to grasp and it seems to rely on your own experience. If I had to bet on unexploited or less exploited signals, it would be something you'd have trouble approximating with obvious mathematical models or ideas that people have long forgotten and do not teach either in business school or in popular trading books. In other words, maybe you're right, but I have no clue how to check that. I'm a scientist. If I cannot test it systematically, I have no reason to fall on either side of the discussion.
    All people who oppose free speech are trying to sell you snake oil. There is absolutely no exception to this rule.

  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    05-15-20 @ 08:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,262

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    When I say that returns are almost pure noise in those markets, I mean something specific that isn't inconsistent with the point you are trying to make.
    When you stated, “Almost all movements you see in asset prices in sufficiently liquid financial markets is pure noise.”, I understood you to be specifically referring to price action and its movement for any particular day and why you interpret it to be just noise as it’s too small of a sample size to make any sense of, understand, meaningless or useful to aide in forecasting price action. Did I misunderstand? I don’t know where you were referring to “returns”.

  10. #10
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    05-15-20 @ 08:19 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,262

    Re: Markets plunge amid coronavirus fears

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    I'm a scientist. If I cannot test it systematically, I have no reason to fall on either side of the discussion.

    I'm not being a smartarse, but you can test it systematically, you choose not to learn and research Elliott Wave Principles. I will aide if desired.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •