Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041
Results 401 to 406 of 406

Thread: Federal minimum wage rate.

  1. #401
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,618

    Re: Federal minimum wage rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    It’s already been proven that doesn’t work because that’s why govt established Medicare and Obamacare in the first place.
    ?????They established Medicare and Obamacare and we and now we pay about 3-4 times what the rest of the civilized world pays. That s why they established them??? Do you want a soviet auto bureaucracy too so that Americans are forced to pay 3-4 times what the rest of the world pays for autos???

  2. #402
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    11-12-19 @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    597

    Re: Federal minimum wage rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    And what is the fiduciary responsibility of a for-profit corp and officer in what you say? There is a legal fiduciary resp. of officers and corps to its stockholders that if failed to fulfill they can be held legally liable. Do you want to guess in what situations that is most likely to occur? Everything you say is secondary, at best, to the primary purpose of making a profit in the capitalist system. No contribution to society required. Profit required.
    (a) For a business that is quoted in financial markets, management has obligations to seek profit on behalf of shareholders. Your obligations are different when equity is private.
    (b) This comment does not matter in the least bit: who is preventing you from doing things differently? No one is forcing you to not create other means of operating a business.
    (c) If you don't give people something they enjoy, you don't make profits. It is possible to get profits by corrupting the government, though that generally means getting the government involved and not getting the government to not get involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    Capitalism itself has a tendency to centralize. For instance, by M & A that results in market dominance by fewer companies.
    The main reason businesses grow this large is because governments centralized power. The primary advantage revolves around legal issues: tax avoidance, issues pertaining to lawsuits and managing compliance to the ludicrous amount of regulations that exist. You can try to force laws meant to limit concentration as they have in Europe. It does limit concentration to some extent. On the other hand, most laws meant to protect competition tend to be implemented as a means to make entry difficult for new firms.

    Of, maybe, you can bleed regulations dry in the right places and work to simplify many pieces of legislation to make having a large legal department a complete waste of money.

  3. #403
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,458

    Re: Federal minimum wage rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    (a) For a business that is quoted in financial markets, management has obligations to seek profit on behalf of shareholders. Your obligations are different when equity is private.
    (b) This comment does not matter in the least bit: who is preventing you from doing things differently? No one is forcing you to not create other means of operating a business.
    (c) If you don't give people something they enjoy, you don't make profits. It is possible to get profits by corrupting the government, though that generally means getting the government involved and not getting the government to not get involved.



    The main reason businesses grow this large is because governments centralized power. The primary advantage revolves around legal issues: tax avoidance, issues pertaining to lawsuits and managing compliance to the ludicrous amount of regulations that exist. You can try to force laws meant to limit concentration as they have in Europe. It does limit concentration to some extent. On the other hand, most laws meant to protect competition tend to be implemented as a means to make entry difficult for new firms.

    Of, maybe, you can bleed regulations dry in the right places and work to simplify many pieces of legislation to make having a large legal department a complete waste of money.


    “(a) For a business that is quoted in financial markets, management has obligations to seek profit on behalf of shareholders. Your obligations are different when equity is private.”

    Private companies aren’t obligated to make a profit as the #1 priority? You kill me. There is still ownership that benefits from the profits of a privately held company via private investment. Everything is secondary to profit, including what is required by law as much a any private of public company can get away with.

    (b) This comment does not matter in the least bit: who is preventing you from doing things differently? No one is forcing you to not create other means of operating a business.”

    Nothing is stopping anybody from doing whatever. Still, the purpose of any business is to make a profit and all whatever is secondary. You can do it to whatever extent does not affect profit that denies benefit to the benefactors of the business.

    “(c) If you don't give people something they enjoy, you don't make profits. It is possible to get profits by corrupting the government, though that generally means getting the government involved and not getting the government to not get involved.”

    Yeah. The way I would put it, though, is that the purpose of giving people something they enjoy is to motivate the employee to work better and/or maintain standards towards profitability. Yeah to the rest of what you say.

    “The main reason businesses grow this large is because governments centralized power. The primary advantage revolves around legal issues: tax avoidance, issues pertaining to lawsuits and managing compliance to the ludicrous amount of regulations that exist. You can try to force laws meant to limit concentration as they have in Europe. It does limit concentration to some extent. On the other hand, most laws meant to protect competition tend to be implemented as a means to make entry difficult for new firms.”

    A centralized govt makes it easier for M&A and business centralizing because they need fewer approvals to do so and get whatever they want than rather than having to go through more Fed govt depts or more different states. If govt were less centralized, business would still do their best to get larger and centralize for efficiencies. All for profit/cost control to centralize, not centralize or decentralize. If centralization of govt results in greater conformity to and more legal requirements, that may be a factor in the decision-making process to centralize or possibly decentralize. Any part of a law that inhibits competition, like making entry difficult for new firms, would be a big positive for big business.

    “Of, maybe, you can bleed regulations dry in the right places and work to simplify many pieces of legislation to make having a large legal department a complete waste of money.”

    Maybe. I don’t know about “bleed regulations dry”, but I’m all for legislation simplification. Large corps and lobby groups, though, usually do their best to make what is put in their for them as complicated and hidden as possible.

  4. #404
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,618

    Re: Federal minimum wage rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
    who is preventing you from doing things differently? No one is forcing you to not create other means of operating a business.
    This is a good point! We are all free to operate charities or run businesses as charities if we want. A liberal does not like what free people do. A liberal wants a libNazi govt to force people to do things at gun point.

  5. #405
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,618

    Re: Federal minimum wage rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    Everything is secondary to profit, including what is required by law as much a any private of public company can get away with.
    really, all you can get away is offering the best jobs and products in the world if you want to survive. Try going into business and offer slightly substandard jobs and products. Can you guess what would happen if you focus on anything other than the best jobs and products in the world? Do you offer job or product contributions to make to society?? Do you let others far more caring than you bare the burden of creating always better jobs and products to lift us farther and farther from poverty??

  6. #406
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,618

    Re: Federal minimum wage rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmoke View Post
    Still, the purpose of any business is to make a profit
    repeating it does not make it true; it makes you a parrot. A business in a free society is free to operate for any purpose it wants. Profit is best though since it is only way for society to know where to invest and grow. Without profit information businesses would have no idea what to do. They would be like soviet businesses. They would collapse and we would all die.
    Do you feel a slow libcommie socialist death with no profit information is a good thing?
    Last edited by James972; 10-21-19 at 08:15 PM.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •