Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 334

Thread: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

  1. #71
    Social Democrat
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    44,142

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    Yeah, you should have seen everyone I saw at a popular hiking destination(LOL)
    As long as they're keeping adequate separation, and not sharing touch points, they probably are not that high of a risk. They're not acting ideally, but they're not as acting as egregiously as if they were hiking around the streets of NYC or Chicago!

    But that being said, I wouldn't do it for now.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,302

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    It seems to me your point was that questioning the official narrative on social distancing is akin to wanting folks to die. Is that not what you believe?
    Questioning is important on any and all matters. If done with honest intentions it can lead to validation or a need to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    It does not in fact bother me that poor people exist. They are supposed to, poverty is the default state of human existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashmont View Post
    Remember Mashmont's predictions, people. Only 10,400 deaths, max. Only 130,000 COVID cases, max. This wouldn't make a garden variety flu season. Can you say hoax?

  3. #73
    Sage

    Luther's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Idaho
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,614

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    It's not just Trump. There's a lot of personal experiences mixed in that made me question some of my political assumptions. I know you're just being snarky here, but understand that, since moving to a bigger city and joining a union for the first time in my professional life, I've had some of my assumptions challenged.
    Well , good luck to you
    Firebrand - Agitator

    Unknown Quantity: a person or thing whose nature, value, or significance cannot be determined or is not yet known.

  4. #74
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,314

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Uh, uh, uh. Your predicted numbers take into account the current mitigation in effect. The numbers you're looking for would be the unmitigated predictions, including correcting for the higher mortality rate reflecting an over-run healthcare system.
    Nope, that assumes that the only two choices available were do exactly what we did or to have done nothing at all. That sort of "logic" is often used to "defend" crap like the GND - pass it in total immediately or many, many millions will surely die.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,302

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    Every model has been demonstrably proven wrong by a huge margin
    Then it will be easy fo you to post some evidence instead of the usual lies you post.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    It does not in fact bother me that poor people exist. They are supposed to, poverty is the default state of human existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashmont View Post
    Remember Mashmont's predictions, people. Only 10,400 deaths, max. Only 130,000 COVID cases, max. This wouldn't make a garden variety flu season. Can you say hoax?

  6. #76
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,910

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I asked the following question, and not to you:



    And you responded to it with stupid questions instead of answering it. That is a dodge.

    When you dodge questions like that, it implies that you are afraid of the answer. So, here's your chance to disprove me. I will give you exactly one chance to.
    I exposed your sophistry. The virus will kill people. Businesses will close. Families will be in pain. There is no course of action that doesn't result in some amount misery from a disease like this. Saying that my neighbors shouldn't be forced out of work or my rights shouldn't be trampled due to an outbreak of panic is not the same as wishing death on people.

    So, how many folks are you willing to starve to fight climate change?

  7. #77
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,520

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    I do data analysis and visualization for a living. I don't know everything, but I know that bull**** in gets you bull**** out. And I know that if you force people out of work and into their homes, you better have more than assumptions. A LOT more!
    Except if you wait on data showing a catastrophe in the making, it's too late to do anything about it. It's like not quitting smoking until you have evidence it will cause YOU lung cancer.

  8. #78
    Social Democrat
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    44,142

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    You guys know you only get one shot at this, right? If the numbers are much lower than early projections -- and they certainly are going to be much, much lower -- then you've lost the narrative. You can scream "it worked!" all you want, but people feeling the residual economic effects are going to be unconvinced.

    It's called crying wolf.

    My prediction: There will never be another lockdown no matter how bad the next virus is.
    You may be right in your analysis here, though I disagree with your characterization of "crying wolf". But if your prediction is correct, that will be a great loss. A 2-3% current mortality rate is nothing, compared to some other things possibly out there. The next time could be a great deal more disastrous.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  9. #79
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,314

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by W_Heisenberg View Post
    And, had we an adequate supply of test kits, PPE, and ventilators, we could have taken a more strategic approach to the pandemic.

    Looking at it another way, Trump's stupidity and incompetence cost us some amount between 0 and $2.2T.
    Yep, yet many are saying that we have two choices - continue doing what we are doing or do nothing at all. That "logic" is ridiculous.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #80
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    05-21-20 @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    27,644

    Re: Death projections are down from 90k to 80k now to 60k

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    I exposed your sophistry.


    You did no such thing with your intellectual dishonesty.
    You are obviously in no mood for a civil debate. Do have a pleasant day.
    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    I fought my entire life for women
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Rights have no restrictions. Free speech isn't restricted in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    By August, this phony virus will be forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't support democracy. Never had. Never will.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •