Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

  1. #21
    ★★Light✣Bearer★★
    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    21,390
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    From your OP:
    First of all, that's from the article, not me. Secondly, it says that with 10 million suddenly unemployed, bread lines are forming. It doesn't say anything about the homeless.
    "Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living the results of other people's thinking."

  2. #22
    Generally Inadvisable

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,883
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    But they do eat? And probably need the nutrition more than the average person when they're coming down from a 'tweaking session.'
    I only knew ONE person who smoked crack who ever got proper nutrition, and that's because he still held down a job as an architect.
    He would work his tail off during the week, then go on a bender, but not before first cooking up spectacular vegetarian meals - he was a really good vegetarian chef.

    But during his benders he never ate or slept, and since he had schedule flexibility due to piecemeal assignments, his benders sometimes stretched to five or six days. Then he would sleep for an entire day, wake up, eat a big veggie meal and then go back to work again.

    Still, he was painfully thin, but he did eat much better than I did at the time.
    I would just go to McDonald's or eat whatever canned stuff I might have bought for a buck, or I'd finish off whatever rice and beans I had on hand, or I might live on a candy bar or two for the week if that was all I could manage. By the time I hit rock bottom, every dollar I made went to crack.
    Are you better off than you were four years ago?
    (I'll give you a minute to take off your mask so you can answer.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jr View Post
    I'm willing to let you die and keep all my liberties, tho. We are not a team.

  3. #23
    ★★Light✣Bearer★★
    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    21,390
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    A long long time...same with crack/coke.
    When I was a crackhead (twenty-six years ago) I would sometimes go four or even five days without eating, or sleeping.
    Then I might eat whatever junk food I could find for about a buck or two, then repeat the cycle all over again as soon as I could get my hands on more crack.

    By the time I finally got on the wagon I almost looked like a skeleton.
    My point was that even addicts have to eat something. We shouldn't punish them with starvation because they have a mental illness. Should we?
    "Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living the results of other people's thinking."

  4. #24
    Generally Inadvisable

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,883
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    My point was that even addicts have to eat something. We shouldn't punish them with starvation because they have a mental illness. Should we?
    Well, no we shouldn't punish them with starvation because generally speaking, they already do a pretty good job of it themselves, at least as far as the tweakers (speed, meth, coke, crack, etc) are concerned. I only know a little about tweakers because I became one at the time.

    So no, we should not punish them with starvation but the point is, the food might be available but tweakers don't really care, because tweakers don't notice how hungry they are. It's just a fact...most tweakers ignore their hunger because they don't feel it.

    That might not be the case for heroin junkies or people who use other downers, like barbiturates, oxy, etc.
    I wouldn't know because I never associated with that drug or its users.
    Are you better off than you were four years ago?
    (I'll give you a minute to take off your mask so you can answer.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jr View Post
    I'm willing to let you die and keep all my liberties, tho. We are not a team.

  5. #25
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,092

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think the challenge is to identify the needy. If they're wearing dirty, ragged clothing, look unwashed or are seriously acting desperate, then serve them a meal. In time, it should become more obvious who's in need, which will probably be a lot.
    However there are few if any legal means to get them to quarantine or segregate from the general population and they will be/are a huge danger to the public. We cant force them to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Social distancing has nothing to do with preventing pandemic casualties.
    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Why try to prove things when science has never even tried to prove anything?
    RE: Italy's mortality rate
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    Perhaps it because their population is so old(their own doing)?

  6. #26
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,092

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    That's because you keep posing a ridiculous question. Nutrition outweighs COV-19, one makes you sick, the other definitely kills, you figure it out. I do agree with the SNAP cards and bag of groceries but not for the homeless, they need meals.
    The people you described already have nutritional issues and likely depressed immune systems. Many are drug addicts and alcoholics.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Social distancing has nothing to do with preventing pandemic casualties.
    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Why try to prove things when science has never even tried to prove anything?
    RE: Italy's mortality rate
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    Perhaps it because their population is so old(their own doing)?

  7. #27
    ★★Light✣Bearer★★
    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    21,390
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Well, no we shouldn't punish them with starvation because generally speaking, they already do a pretty good job of it themselves, at least as far as the tweakers (speed, meth, coke, crack, etc) are concerned. I only know a little about tweakers because I became one at the time.

    So no, we should not punish them with starvation but the point is, the food might be available but tweakers don't really care, because tweakers don't notice how hungry they are. It's just a fact...most tweakers ignore their hunger because they don't feel it.

    That might not be the case for heroin junkies or people who use other downers, like barbiturates, oxy, etc.
    I wouldn't know because I never associated with that drug or its users.
    I got fat when I was physically dependent on opioids. And I don't advocate supporting junkies habits but Moonglow seems to indicate that meth heads look like the needy, which I suppose is because they don't eat. Not sure what the point was, other than they're undeserving?
    "Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living the results of other people's thinking."

  8. #28
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    61,092

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    My point was that even addicts have to eat something. We shouldn't punish them with starvation because they have a mental illness. Should we?
    We also dont 'owe' them food at the expense of the health of the rest of the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Social distancing has nothing to do with preventing pandemic casualties.
    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Why try to prove things when science has never even tried to prove anything?
    RE: Italy's mortality rate
    Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    Perhaps it because their population is so old(their own doing)?

  9. #29
    ★★Light✣Bearer★★
    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    21,390
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    However there are few if any legal means to get them to quarantine or segregate from the general population and they will be/are a huge danger to the public. We cant force them to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The people you described already have nutritional issues and likely depressed immune systems. Many are drug addicts and alcoholics.
    Just let them all die because they deserve it? Or what are you saying, nothing can be done?
    "Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living the results of other people's thinking."

  10. #30
    ★★Light✣Bearer★★
    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    21,390
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Bread Lines & Food Shortages

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    We also dont 'owe' them food at the expense of the health of the rest of the population.
    So, you are saying, let them die. Real nice.
    "Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living the results of other people's thinking."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •