Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 317

Thread: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

  1. #31
    Sage
    chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California Caliphate
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,629

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Source: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    [Video Contained in Article]

    To recap:

    1] Trump sets 100K dead as the standard for doing a good job.

    2] Trump extends the shut-down until May.

    3] In response Dow Futures went limit down, but have since retraced a fair amount.

    As to some commentary, well I'm not sure what to say. If it hasn't become real enough, it looks like it just got more real. If Trump is now claiming 100K deaths will be a good thing, knowing Trump's propensity for salesmanship and his loose relationship with the truth, I'm now getting more worried. No other way to put it. This does not sound good.
    In how much time? Are we picking numbers like a bookie?
    “YAHTZEE!!“—Joe Biden winning at BINGO.
    Coronavirus: The last Chinese import.
    When it’s raining thread craps, you know you have struck a nerve!
    Racism is not being able to read racist rap lyrics out loud because you are white.

  2. #32
    Social Democrat
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    44,123

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckiechan View Post
    In how much time? Are we picking numbers like a bookie?
    You'll have to speak to Mr. Trump about that.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  3. #33
    Classical Liberal Sage
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    13,670
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    What's scary? The fact that Trump lies like a rug, only approaching the truth when dragged into it. So it's my fear he's lying here, too. And if he's lying about trying to keep it down to 100K, then I gravely fear the real number.
    I'm sorry you believe this. I truly am. I won't belabor the point, as you already know my position on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    As an aside, I've already had one death of one of my kid's classmate's parents, and another in my parish. My wife's professional colleague is hospitalized, her husband is positive, sick, quarantined at home. He is panicked of what to do with his 8 year old, if he gets worse. The other nearby neighborhood (non-Catholic) church had nearly 50 that tested positive, including the pastor. And it's just heating up, though you'd never know it from my neighborhood - we're really on fire. Two of our regular everyday supermarkets closed due to employees having Covid, and ditto for my vet. All these businesses, churches, and people, are within a 6 or 8 block radius of me.
    My condolences to you, and to your friends. I hope you (and your family) remain safe and healthy, and I understand somewhat better your concerns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    When those you know start dying, it has a way of bringing it home.
    I can appreciate this, and once again hope the best for you, your friends, and family.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    04-29-20 @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    20,388

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by trixare4kids View Post
    I never thought I would see the day where human beings would weaponize the virus to use against a president they detest.
    People like that are basically garden variety cock roaches.
    I never thought I’d see a trump supporter dehumanize political opponents and call Americans... cockroaches. Just kidding, I totally expected something evil like that from you. I’d ban you for it if I could.

    Have you not been been watching Trumps rallies...I mean daily briefings? He has politicized this all day every day. He talked about his ratings alone for five minutes today.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Linc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL—16
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,922

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    (Sigh) Can you tell us what he should be saying so that you won't be so worried?

    I don't understand. Trump talks things UP, and some people say he is blind to reality.

    Trump talks things DOWN and people say he is scaring people.

    The man simply can't win with some people.

    Now I think 100,000 dead is a reasonable estimate, and while sad, is nothing to be so shocked about.

    Time and time again I have to remind people that we had 80,000 people die of the Flu in 2018, while in 2019 it was 61,200. 2018-2019 Flu Season Was the Longest in 10 Years, CDC Says | Time

    So we have a new illness, and the projections for it's first appearance in the USA could be 100,000 deaths; perhaps even a little more.

    I say if we look at this in such a perspective, it might help to calm people down.

    Again I am not dismissing the death toll...but perhaps we need to take a breath, recognize this is not even close to earth-shattering, and stop over-dramatizing.

    This too shall pass.
    trump should continue to tell us how great the ratings are of his pressers. He should also continue to blatantly LIE at his pressers by stating he didn’t say what he’s on tape saying two days ago.

    trump’s campaign could care less how many Americans die, especially in Blue states and Blue cities. The campaign does care about campaign ads using trump’s very own words in a timeline.
    #Dignity Of Work -- #Chemists Have Solutions -- #COVID Century

  6. #36
    Horrible Bastard Hamish Howl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Tucson
    Last Seen
    05-21-20 @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,347

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I never thought I’d see a trump supporter dehumanize political opponents and call Americans... cockroaches. Just kidding, I totally expected something evil like that from you. I’d ban you for it if I could.

    Have you not been been watching Trumps rallies...I mean daily briefings? He has politicized this all day every day. He talked about his ratings alone for five minutes today.
    It's different when spray tan Jesus does it. Hell, he can actively try to kill random Americans over an imagined grudge, and THAT is okay.

    You have to remember that the MAGA thing is a death cult.
    Watching the live action version of Jerry Pournelle's "Crazy Eddie" concept.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,271

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Source: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    [Video Contained in Article]

    To recap:

    1] Trump sets 100K dead as the standard for doing a good job.

    2] Trump extends the shut-down until May.

    3] In response Dow Futures went limit down, but have since retraced a fair amount.

    As to some commentary, well I'm not sure what to say. If it hasn't become real enough, it looks like it just got more real. If Trump is now claiming 100K deaths will be a good thing, knowing Trump's propensity for salesmanship and his loose relationship with the truth, I'm now getting more worried. No other way to put it. This does not sound good.
    Its just the flu. Its all an over reaction.
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  8. #38
    Neocon Elitist
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,154

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    (Sigh) Can you tell us what he should be saying so that you won't be so worried?

    I don't understand. Trump talks things UP, and some people say he is blind to reality.

    Trump talks things DOWN and people say he is scaring people.

    The man simply can't win with some people.

    Now I think 100,000 dead is a reasonable estimate, and while sad, is nothing to be so shocked about.

    Time and time again I have to remind people that we had 80,000 people die of the Flu in 2018, while in 2019 it was 61,200. 2018-2019 Flu Season Was the Longest in 10 Years, CDC Says | Time

    So we have a new illness, and the projections for it's first appearance in the USA could be 100,000 deaths; perhaps even a little more.

    I say if we look at this in such a perspective, it might help to calm people down.

    Again I am not dismissing the death toll...but perhaps we need to take a breath, recognize this is not even close to earth-shattering, and stop over-dramatizing.

    This too shall pass.
    The inevitable end point for apologists: demand to know what we want from him as soon as he comes to the right calculation on one thing.

    It's really simple: DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND STOP ****ING IT UP.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 03-29-20 at 11:45 PM.

    "To be sure, there is always a danger we will turn our opposition to deficiency into a rejection of those who bear it. [..] So just as the loathing of imperfection fuels the search for perfection, so the search for perfection makes imperfection all the more intolerable.”-Leon Kass, President George W Bush's Head of Bioethics Commission, Lecture 2006

  9. #39
    Guru
    Mongidig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You will get coronavirus, trix, same as the rest of us. It's the reality we're all a part of.
    And she'll probably never even know it.

  10. #40
    Horrible Bastard Hamish Howl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Tucson
    Last Seen
    05-21-20 @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,347

    Re: Trump concedes US coronavirus death toll could be 100,000 or more

    Quote Originally Posted by Mongidig View Post
    And she'll probably never even know it.
    "Probably."
    Watching the live action version of Jerry Pournelle's "Crazy Eddie" concept.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •