Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,992

    Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    I've read there are no known cases of food transmission yet. So ordering food to go is not very dangerous.

    But I find myself not comfortable ordering some things - things that involve more of the preparer spending time over your food, like preparing a pizza, or a sandwich at Subway, or standing over a wok frying a meal, shaking the wok for an extended period.

    I'm more ok with food with less handling, like KFC quickly throwing together a package.

    Any comments on the foods that are more or less safe?
    "...when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." - trump, saying how he has Coronavirus cases down from 15 to over 1,000,000.

  2. #2
    Sage

    OldFatGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,471
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Play it safe. Don't eat anything!

    Especially if you see the chef or cook with a cigarette dangling from his or her lips.
    What kind of a man is a man who has not left this world a better place?

    No one is in control.

  3. #3
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Last Seen
    05-31-20 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    321

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Play it safe. Don't eat anything!

    Especially if you see the chef or cook with a cigarette dangling from his or her lips.
    Easiest way to kill yourself. LOL!!

  4. #4
    Sensational
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,457
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    The most dangerous foods in terms of disease (as opposed to unhealthy food) is uncooked food. The most common are uncooked salad ingredients on salad bars that traces back to the grower. For example, with such crops are grown in close proximity to where there are livestock.
    Coronavirus still poses a low risk to the general public in the US.""If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship." "If you have tested negative for covid-19, there is no reason to wear a mask." Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of NIAID

  5. #5
    Sage

    OldFatGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,471
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by roberthughey View Post
    Easiest way to kill yourself. LOL!!
    My wife's tuna casserole surprise is an easier path to death. No one has figured out what the surprise was before kicking the bucket. Dog won't go near it, and he'll almost anything.
    What kind of a man is a man who has not left this world a better place?

    No one is in control.

  6. #6
    Sensational
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,457
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    My wife's tuna casserole surprise is an easier path to death. No one has figured out what the surprise was before kicking the bucket. Dog won't go near it, and he'll almost anything.
    My mini pom passed away last year. One time we were traveling and got delayed on return, it late at night. We bought a McDonalds hamburger and chicken nuggets for her (not us.) The only thing she did was to try to cover it up and bury it so she didn't have to smell it.
    Coronavirus still poses a low risk to the general public in the US.""If you are a healthy young person, there is no reason if you want to go on a cruise ship, go on a cruise ship." "If you have tested negative for covid-19, there is no reason to wear a mask." Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of NIAID

  7. #7
    Respected on both sides

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    66,382

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
    I've read there are no known cases of food transmission yet. So ordering food to go is not very dangerous.

    But I find myself not comfortable ordering some things - things that involve more of the preparer spending time over your food, like preparing a pizza, or a sandwich at Subway, or standing over a wok frying a meal, shaking the wok for an extended period.

    I'm more ok with food with less handling, like KFC quickly throwing together a package.

    Any comments on the foods that are more or less safe?
    Food which is cooked is significantly less a problem. What is much more a concern is the container it’s in. I should make a video of me disinfecting myself and everything on me every time I come in from the outside. The movie will be titled, “Developing Behavioral Disorders For The Next Twenty Years.”

  8. #8
    Sage

    OldFatGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,471
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The most dangerous foods in terms of disease (as opposed to unhealthy food) is uncooked food. The most common are uncooked salad ingredients on salad bars that traces back to the grower. For example, with such crops are grown in close proximity to where there are livestock.
    I dropped by Trader Joe's Friday. Watched people fondle the loose and unpackaged fruit and produce. One woman squeezed at least a half dozen potatoes. I'm not aware of any reason to squeeze a potato. I do understand that the weight tells you if they are not dried out, but a squeeze? Like tapping a melon, useless. You smell the stem end of a melon for the perfume. If it smells sweet, it is ready to eat. I was thinking of standing in front of her, wiping my underarms with my hands and then grabbing her arms, instead grabbed my crotch and smiled at her. Told her out loud, crabs, and smiled with one eyebrow raised and a snarl. Two of the TJ employees who have had their own experiences with my sick sense of humor, were struggling not to laugh. She kept squeezing potatoes, then moved on to large onions. I didn't buy any of the potatoes or onions she touched. Instead I picked up a couple of large bags of both. TJ's has adopted a two count limit of any single item to thwart hoarders.
    What kind of a man is a man who has not left this world a better place?

    No one is in control.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    85,928

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
    I've read there are no known cases of food transmission yet. So ordering food to go is not very dangerous.

    But I find myself not comfortable ordering some things - things that involve more of the preparer spending time over your food, like preparing a pizza, or a sandwich at Subway, or standing over a wok frying a meal, shaking the wok for an extended period.

    I'm more ok with food with less handling, like KFC quickly throwing together a package.

    Any comments on the foods that are more or less safe?
    N.Z. shut down everything... no take out food at all... In fact, I think we are shut down more than most of the US. Sucks, but smart.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    85,928

    Re: Which restaurant foods aren't safe?

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    TJ's has adopted a two count limit of any single item to thwart hoarders.
    We did that possibly 4 or five weeks ago here...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •