View Poll Results: Is America overreacting?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Way overboard (panic mode)

    34 32.69%
  • Only time will tell

    21 20.19%
  • Not so much

    4 3.85%
  • Just right

    11 10.58%
  • It was inevitable

    3 2.88%
  • Not enough

    27 25.96%
  • Other

    4 3.85%
Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 443

Thread: Is America overreacting?

  1. #391
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,710

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    This IS the problem we have in society which started 2000 years ago when people were hoodwinked into believing in a sacrifice and a man rising from the dead by people who were in "authority" because they claimed to have witnessed the events. So, does a doctor know more about medicine than I do? Certainly. Does a psychiatrist know more about what makes someone tick than I do? Maybe. Should we believe them in everything they say? Absolutely NOT! We should consider what they have to say , research it, and then make up our minds. For instance, the same groups I just mentioned will tell you that someone can't quit drugs, alcohol or something else because they are "addicted" when I assert that anyone can quit by just making the decision to do it and they are not powerless needing "Gods" help like the stupid 12 Step AA program says. These are but a few examples.
    Well, that's ONE bad example.

    If you have an infection, should you go to the doctor, get the infection tested, and then take the drug that kills that bacteria, or do some research online then go and get what they have at the pharmacy and guess at the dose, or maybe some Vitamin C? If you want to die, or don't care if you do, the latter should work fine, but if I have a leg swelling up from infection, I'll trust the doctor, because he has years of training and experience, and access to an entire suite of advanced tools not available to me. YMMV of course.

    It as said by some alleged expert who may know all there is to know about how a virus moves and multiplies and divides, its life span, where it came from, the scientific names of every single germ, bug, virus known to mankind, but that person is stepping away from his knowledge base when he says 2 million people will die i the United States.
    If you read the study, you know you're misrepresenting what it found, which is dishonest, or you didn't bother to read it and are making ignorant conclusions about what it said. What an entire team of experts reported is that without mitigation it would kill 2 million people. So that's ONE option - do nothing and if you do nothing, these are the results you can expect. We and every country on the planet are taking pretty drastic steps to avoid that 2 million dead figure, and they will work to some extent, as the study tells us, and as we have seen in other countries.

    He creates panic and fear unnecessarily when people believe him because he has a few initials after his name and many others who are enraptured by authority figures through evolutionary survival mandates tell them that THEY too, should believe. That is fine for religion but not when we now have the ability to check this information out. In some cases, what the "experts" say may be true and if it is unimportant we won't bother checking.
    Assuming you did not read the study (the other option is you're being dishonest), you are dismissing it from a position of near total ignorance, while citing nothing for the alternative view.

    Furthermore, if you're a governor or mayor, how should you make decisions in this crisis? By relying on the best minds out there, who have experience with pandemics, can model the spread, predict outcomes however imperfectly, or just take a WAG and put the 7 million lives in Tennessee at risk based on their gut, or what some hack lawyer at AEI said in an editorial yesterday?

    It's a serious question. If you do NOT rely on experts, how should one make decisions?

  2. #392
    Sage Paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,671

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Well, that's ONE bad example.

    If you have an infection, should you go to the doctor, get the infection tested, and then take the drug that kills that bacteria, or do some research online then go and get what they have at the pharmacy and guess at the dose, or maybe some Vitamin C? If you want to die, or don't care if you do, the latter should work fine, but if I have a leg swelling up from infection, I'll trust the doctor, because he has years of training and experience, and access to an entire suite of advanced tools not available to me. YMMV of course.



    If you read the study, you know you're misrepresenting what it found, which is dishonest, or you didn't bother to read it and are making ignorant conclusions about what it said. What an entire team of experts reported is that without mitigation it would kill 2 million people. So that's ONE option - do nothing and if you do nothing, these are the results you can expect. We and every country on the planet are taking pretty drastic steps to avoid that 2 million dead figure, and they will work to some extent, as the study tells us, and as we have seen in other countries.



    Assuming you did not read the study (the other option is you're being dishonest), you are dismissing it from a position of near total ignorance, while citing nothing for the alternative view.

    Furthermore, if you're a governor or mayor, how should you make decisions in this crisis? By relying on the best minds out there, who have experience with pandemics, can model the spread, predict outcomes however imperfectly, or just take a WAG and put the 7 million lives in Tennessee at risk based on their gut, or what some hack lawyer at AEI said in an editorial yesterday?

    It's a serious question. If you do NOT rely on experts, how should one make decisions?
    Addressing the last part of your post, the president and governors have no choice but to go along with the MSM manufactured crisis because if they don't they will be out of their jobs. Let us all see when this is all over just how much worse this is than the flu deaths reported annually by the CDC. Time will tell.
    When the debate is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

  3. #393
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,115

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Watch the numbers change over the next.3 days and get back to me.

    Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

  4. #394
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,710

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    Addressing the last part of your post, the president and governors have no choice but to go along with the MSM manufactured crisis because if they don't they will be out of their jobs. Let us all see when this is all over just how much worse this is than the flu deaths reported annually by the CDC. Time will tell.
    OK, if you want to make stupid statements like that, there's no point arguing.

    And what you will hopefully do is ignore the drastic measures put in place to slow or limit the spread, note the relatively low numbers of deaths, and then stupidly conclude that the low numbers prove that the drastic measures that worked weren't needed. I'll take that result in a heartbeat.

  5. #395
    Sage Paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,671

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    OK, if you want to make stupid statements like that, there's no point arguing.

    And what you will hopefully do is ignore the drastic measures put in place to slow or limit the spread, note the relatively low numbers of deaths, and then stupidly conclude that the low numbers prove that the drastic measures that worked weren't needed. I'll take that result in a heartbeat.
    That IS the question. A major worldwide depression or a few hundred thousand more deaths worldwide over the half million we already have from the flu. Pick you poison.

    But I see the out that people will have when the death rate is very low they will say it is because of the lock downs and it would have been far worse. If there is no vaccine or cure, what then? the same amount of deaths but spread out over years instead of one year?
    When the debate is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

  6. #396
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,221

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    OK, if you want to make stupid statements like that, there's no point arguing.

    And what you will hopefully do is ignore the drastic measures put in place to slow or limit the spread, note the relatively low numbers of deaths, and then stupidly conclude that the low numbers prove that the drastic measures that worked weren't needed. I'll take that result in a heartbeat.
    Here's a little perspective and how, maybe, the public was being played. This Is How Many People Die From the Flu Each Year, According to the CDC | Health.com

  7. #397
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,710

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    That IS the question. A major worldwide depression or a few hundred thousand more deaths worldwide over the half million we already have from the flu. Pick you poison.

    But I see the out that people will have when the death rate is very low they will say it is because of the lock downs and it would have been far worse. If there is no vaccine or cure, what then? the same amount of deaths but spread out over years instead of one year?
    Goodness - with one big spike, we overwhelm the system and there are LITERAL DEATH PANELS at every hospital, telling 9 of the 10 patients who need an ICU bed with one available who will have to do home and die a painful death and who can be saved. If it's spread out, all those who need an ICU bed get one, and we save far more people. So, no, the deaths are not the same with a single big peak versus the same number of cases spread out over a year or 18 months.

    And if you don't know this, your ignorance of the issues involved near total. So I'll leave it there.

  8. #398
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,710

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs II View Post
    Here's a little perspective and how, maybe, the public was being played. This Is How Many People Die From the Flu Each Year, According to the CDC | Health.com
    Yeah, right, the public health experts, the pandemic experts, are all in every country ignoring that it's like the FLU!!! You should tell them this information that they must not know and if they did they'd let this new virus, far more contagious than the flu, and far more deadly, and for which there is no vaccine like there is for the flu, run wild!!

    Sheesh. It's not the public that's being played, if they are, but roughly 50 governors, the WH, all the world's governments throughout Asia and Europe, India just locked their entire country down for 21 days - every household, 1.3 billion people! They're not allowed to leave for any reason - how they even get food is a mystery at this point. All of these world leaders are being played, and it's because none of them understand it's just like the flu!

    I don't know whether to laugh or cry or be angry at this point.
    Last edited by JasperL; 03-24-20 at 05:31 PM.

  9. #399
    Sage Paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,671

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Goodness - with one big spike, we overwhelm the system and there are LITERAL DEATH PANELS at every hospital, telling 9 of the 10 patients who need an ICU bed with one available who will have to do home and die a painful death and who can be saved. If it's spread out, all those who need an ICU bed get one, and we save far more people. So, no, the deaths are not the same with a single big peak versus the same number of cases spread out over a year or 18 months.

    And if you don't know this, your ignorance of the issues involved near total. So I'll leave it there.
    So, you want the economy at a standstill for 18 months? Seriously? You are the one that doesn't know. There are many people that catch the flu each year that never go see the doctor. I am one of them. I rarely go to a doctor and ride the flu out. Why? because I want to build immunity from that strain. The same thing applies to this virus. I grant your premise that many people have it or had and never went to the doctor. What's your point there? That those people are walking time bombs?

    There aren't people dying in the streets or at home and I have heard NO reports of hospitals being over run with patients on their last legs with Corona Virus. Far as I know, everyone with major symptoms gets tested. Do you have some evidence that they are turned away at the emergency room? Can't be true because it would be a major scandal.
    When the debate is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

  10. #400
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43,710

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    So, you want the economy at a standstill for 18 months? Seriously? You are the one that doesn't know. There are many people that catch the flu each year that never go see the doctor. I am one of them. I rarely go to a doctor and ride the flu out. Why? because I want to build immunity from that strain. The same thing applies to this virus. I grant your premise that many people have it or had and never went to the doctor. What's your point there? That those people are walking time bombs?

    There aren't people dying in the streets or at home and I have heard NO reports of hospitals being over run with patients on their last legs with Corona Virus. Far as I know, everyone with major symptoms gets tested. Do you have some evidence that they are turned away at the emergency room? Can't be true because it would be a major scandal.
    It's like playing whack a mole with you.

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •