View Poll Results: Is America overreacting?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Way overboard (panic mode)

    35 31.82%
  • Only time will tell

    21 19.09%
  • Not so much

    4 3.64%
  • Just right

    11 10.00%
  • It was inevitable

    3 2.73%
  • Not enough

    32 29.09%
  • Other

    4 3.64%
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 462

Thread: Is America overreacting?

  1. #361
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    07-10-20 @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,770

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Textbook example of circular logic. Thanks for proving MY point! Good job!
    No, its a declarative statement of fact. No circular logic required.

  2. #362
    Sage Paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,901

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    We don't need experts, we have you....
    I've told everybody to check back with me in June and if there are 75,000 deaths or more in America from the Corona Virus, I will sign off here for good.

    One of the things that humans need to evolve past is trusting authority figures because they have some initials at the end of their names. That is almost like trusting the people in MSM like Brian Stelter or Cuomo or idiots like the two constitutional scholars. We sit here in rapt attention ad quote such people as if they are oracles speaking from on high and allow ourselves to become upset and nervous over their pronouncements. With the age of the internet there is no reason to do this. We can check ourselves. Many of you folks have heralded the CDC as if they are right on everything and you don't bother digging into their methodology. I believe they are very misleading in their deaths each year from the flu and they are way high on deaths from the flu. They claim that there is on average about 350,000 deaths from the flu each year. If one was really interested, they would find that this number includes pneumonia because it is usually due to a virus but not always. Since they do that, they are also going to include ALL people who test positive for the Corona Virus who die as dying from the CHINA flu. While it may be true in a lot of cases, it won't be in all and there will be no way to tell.

    I'm gonna go with the CDC number anyway even though it will be artificially high. Even at that, it won't be close to 2 million. I doubt it will be close to 75,000. You can call be a sage at the end of June.
    When the debate is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Alaska (61.5N, -149W)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,142

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    I've told everybody to check back with me in June and if there are 75,000 deaths or more in America from the Corona Virus, I will sign off here for good.

    One of the things that humans need to evolve past is trusting authority figures because they have some initials at the end of their names. That is almost like trusting the people in MSM like Brian Stelter or Cuomo or idiots like the two constitutional scholars. We sit here in rapt attention ad quote such people as if they are oracles speaking from on high and allow ourselves to become upset and nervous over their pronouncements. With the age of the internet there is no reason to do this. We can check ourselves. Many of you folks have heralded the CDC as if they are right on everything and you don't bother digging into their methodology. I believe they are very misleading in their deaths each year from the flu and they are way high on deaths from the flu. They claim that there is on average about 350,000 deaths from the flu each year. If one was really interested, they would find that this number includes pneumonia because it is usually due to a virus but not always. Since they do that, they are also going to include ALL people who test positive for the Corona Virus who die as dying from the CHINA flu. While it may be true in a lot of cases, it won't be in all and there will be no way to tell.

    I'm gonna go with the CDC number anyway even though it will be artificially high. Even at that, it won't be close to 2 million. I doubt it will be close to 75,000. You can call be a sage at the end of June.
    The CDC does separate out influenza deaths from pneumonia deaths, even though one can be caused by the other. Based upon the prior influenza deaths per week in the US, COVID-19 has been extremely mild. However, I don't expect the virus to peak until either next week or the first week of April. Due to the "social isolation," however, that peak may be delayed. So the number of confirmed cases and the number of deaths will continue to climb for another week or two. Eventually, however, the number of confirmed infections will begin to peter-out and decline, and so will the number of deaths. As you say, by the end of May or early June at the latest the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases will have declined to almost a trickle.

    Influenza and pneumonia combined are still the eighth leading cause of death in the US, so I'm not dismissing the seriousness of influenza. I agree with you that COVID-19 is really no worse than prior strains of influenza.

    Flu Deaths 2010-2019.jpg

  4. #364
    Sage Paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,901

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    The CDC does separate out influenza deaths from pneumonia deaths, even though one can be caused by the other. Based upon the prior influenza deaths per week in the US, COVID-19 has been extremely mild. However, I don't expect the virus to peak until either next week or the first week of April. Due to the "social isolation," however, that peak may be delayed. So the number of confirmed cases and the number of deaths will continue to climb for another week or two. Eventually, however, the number of confirmed infections will begin to peter-out and decline, and so will the number of deaths. As you say, by the end of May or early June at the latest the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases will have declined to almost a trickle.

    Influenza and pneumonia combined are still the eighth leading cause of death in the US, so I'm not dismissing the seriousness of influenza. I agree with you that COVID-19 is really no worse than prior strains of influenza.

    Flu Deaths 2010-2019.jpg
    I agree with your analysis 100% and it is an excellent post. I couldn't have said it any better or with as much brevity and conciseness.
    When the debate is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

  5. #365
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pindostan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8,221

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by dixon01767 View Post
    No, its a declarative statement of fact. No circular logic required.
    Part of your premise was Trump never called the coronavirus a hoax. You never offered one bit of evidence to support that claim. The fact is he used the word "hoax." It's on the video I linked. I asked you what hoax he was referring to. You never replied. You then went back to your original statement.

    Circular logic =
    Нава́льный

  6. #366
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    44,471

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    2 million deaths in AMERICA claim the so-called experts. Wanna bet?
    Only with no efforts to control the spread, which are happening in every or nearly every state. We're under stay at home orders here in Tennessee, for goodness sake.

    So that's a lie or so misleading it serves the same purpose.

  7. #367
    Sage
    JasperL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    44,471

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    I've told everybody to check back with me in June and if there are 75,000 deaths or more in America from the Corona Virus, I will sign off here for good.

    One of the things that humans need to evolve past is trusting authority figures because they have some initials at the end of their names. That is almost like trusting the people in MSM like Brian Stelter or Cuomo or idiots like the two constitutional scholars. We sit here in rapt attention ad quote such people as if they are oracles speaking from on high and allow ourselves to become upset and nervous over their pronouncements. With the age of the internet there is no reason to do this. We can check ourselves. Many of you folks have heralded the CDC as if they are right on everything and you don't bother digging into their methodology. I believe they are very misleading in their deaths each year from the flu and they are way high on deaths from the flu. They claim that there is on average about 350,000 deaths from the flu each year. If one was really interested, they would find that this number includes pneumonia because it is usually due to a virus but not always. Since they do that, they are also going to include ALL people who test positive for the Corona Virus who die as dying from the CHINA flu. While it may be true in a lot of cases, it won't be in all and there will be no way to tell.

    I'm gonna go with the CDC number anyway even though it will be artificially high. Even at that, it won't be close to 2 million. I doubt it will be close to 75,000. You can call be a sage at the end of June.
    It's not a game, and if it was you are calling the game before half time. This won't be over until we find a cure or a vaccine gets rolled out, and if it's the latter, we might not have that until this time 2021, perhaps later, we'll know when it happens and the at risk community gets vaccinated.

    And the contempt for expertise is a symptom of this era that is really troubling. Sure, experts are often wrong, especially about predicting the future. But would you rather trust a pandemic expert, or a blowhard like Hannity or Rush, or a lawyer, or a random YouTuber? I'm not an idiot, so I'll trust those who aren't ignorant blowhards talking out of their asses. YMMV.

  8. #368
    Sage Paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,901

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It's not a game, and if it was you are calling the game before half time. This won't be over until we find a cure or a vaccine gets rolled out, and if it's the latter, we might not have that until this time 2021, perhaps later, we'll know when it happens and the at risk community gets vaccinated.

    And the contempt for expertise is a symptom of this era that is really troubling. Sure, experts are often wrong, especially about predicting the future. But would you rather trust a pandemic expert, or a blowhard like Hannity or Rush, or a lawyer, or a random YouTuber? I'm not an idiot, so I'll trust those who aren't ignorant blowhards talking out of their asses. YMMV.
    This was the right thing....restrict people for being in large crowds for awhile. What else would you have done or recommended?
    When the debate is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

  9. #369
    Sage Paradoxical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,901

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It's not a game, and if it was you are calling the game before half time. This won't be over until we find a cure or a vaccine gets rolled out, and if it's the latter, we might not have that until this time 2021, perhaps later, we'll know when it happens and the at risk community gets vaccinated.

    And the contempt for expertise is a symptom of this era that is really troubling. Sure, experts are often wrong, especially about predicting the future. But would you rather trust a pandemic expert, or a blowhard like Hannity or Rush, or a lawyer, or a random YouTuber? I'm not an idiot, so I'll trust those who aren't ignorant blowhards talking out of their asses. YMMV.
    I said With the age of the internet there is no reason to do this. We can check ourselves. Either that or you can just believe others because they good orators and wear a pretty dress or nice suit and may have two initials behind their name. to me, that's like someone believing an Imam.
    When the debate is lost, the loser resorts to slander.

  10. #370
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Seen
    07-10-20 @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,770

    Re: Is America overreacting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Part of your premise was Trump never called the coronavirus a hoax. You never offered one bit of evidence to support that claim.
    The fact is he used the word "hoax." It's on the video I linked. I asked you what hoax he was referring to. You never replied. :[/QUOTE]

    Of course I replied and stated eaxctly what he was referring to. Both by quoting Trump words and giving several examples of the Democrats hoax. YOU are the one who hasnt provided a shred of evidence to support your assertion. Your insertion of words into quotes of others is evidence of nothing other than your dishonesty.

Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •