Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: Congressional Conspiracy

  1. #51
    Student JD1965's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Last Seen
    03-26-20 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    244

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    It may also depend on what the States want to accomplish. Is there any existing method to accomplish something similar?
    In 2010, during the 110th Congress, the Tea Party Congress read the Constitution first day from the floor of the House. Before reading, sponsor Goodlatte from Virginia noted that because the Constitution had been amended, members would be reading what the Congressional Research Service deemed valid. They skipped over the convention clause of Article V, did not read it. Then in 2012 the CRS issued a two-part white paper all about the Article V Convention. So how is it that the CRS is at once telling members of Congress not to read the convention clause, and two years later writing a paper all about it?

    That paper has been updated multiple times, most recently 2017: http://www.foavc.org/reference/R44435_20171115.pdf

    That paper spawned a rule which has the House now officially counting state applications and posting them as PDFs, Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives: Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives

    But most importantly, over the past five years, in the comment section to blogs and op-eds focused on the Article V Convention, it has gone from roughly 75% against a convention, to today where it's roughly 75% for a convention. I believe the above is evidence that indeed, if enough people want it, we will get the call.

    Seems to me, anyone who genuinely reveres and cares for what was won with the Americans Revolution would be out on the internet talking up Article V, assuring people there's virtually no danger in a non-binding deliberative assembly, when anything discussed must still be ratified by 75%+ (a political principle that mathematically precludes partisan nonsense from becoming high law: any idea must get all one side of the political spectrum signed on, plus at least half the other, or it goes where 10,000+ other proposed amendments have gone--the dustbin of history).

    For fun, maybe post a poll about it. There are still many folks on this site who are not operatives, that still believe a federal convention is dangerous.

    This site has tons of info: Page One

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,211

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by JD1965 View Post
    In 2010, during the 110th Congress, the Tea Party Congress read the Constitution first day from the floor of the House. Before reading, sponsor Goodlatte from Virginia noted that because the Constitution had been amended, members would be reading what the Congressional Research Service deemed valid. They skipped over the convention clause of Article V, did not read it. Then in 2012 the CRS issued a two-part white paper all about the Article V Convention. So how is it that the CRS is at once telling members of Congress not to read the convention clause, and two years later writing a paper all about it?

    That paper has been updated multiple times, most recently 2017: http://www.foavc.org/reference/R44435_20171115.pdf

    That paper spawned a rule which has the House now officially counting state applications and posting them as PDFs, Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives: Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives

    But most importantly, over the past five years, in the comment section to blogs and op-eds focused on the Article V Convention, it has gone from roughly 75% against a convention, to today where it's roughly 75% for a convention. I believe the above is evidence that indeed, if enough people want it, we will get the call.

    Seems to me, anyone who genuinely reveres and cares for what was won with the Americans Revolution would be out on the internet talking up Article V, assuring people there's virtually no danger in a non-binding deliberative assembly, when anything discussed must still be ratified by 75%+ (a political principle that mathematically precludes partisan nonsense from becoming high law: any idea must get all one side of the political spectrum signed on, plus at least half the other, or it goes where 10,000+ other proposed amendments have gone--the dustbin of history).

    For fun, maybe post a poll about it. There are still many folks on this site who are not operatives, that still believe a federal convention is dangerous.

    This site has tons of info: Page One
    I find it difficult to believe Congress would ignore a plurality of State Governors.

  3. #53
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    27,006

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    I find it difficult to believe Congress would ignore a plurality of State Governors.
    I don't.

    Congress has overtly attacked the Constitution by way of USA Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act and the numerous annual NDAA Amendments sliming Habeas Corpus.

    Though I am skeptical of the results of an Article V convention, I have no doubt at all that the majority of the crooks in congress prefers the status quo over such a convention.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,211

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    I don't.

    Congress has overtly attacked the Constitution by way of USA Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act and the numerous annual NDAA Amendments sliming Habeas Corpus.

    Though I am skeptical of the results of an Article V convention, I have no doubt at all that the majority of the crooks in congress prefers the status quo over such a convention.
    Should State Governors get more political and "take it to the People" who vote for their representatives and representation?

  5. #55
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    27,006

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Should State Governors get more political and "take it to the People" who vote for their representatives and representation?
    I'm not sure of the answer, and one reason I'm not sure is because our new governor in Florida, DeSantis, held his first cabinet meeting in Israel. That strongly suggests he cares more about Israel than he cares about Florida residents.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,211

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    I'm not sure of the answer, and one reason I'm not sure is because our new governor in Florida, DeSantis, held his first cabinet meeting in Israel. That strongly suggests he cares more about Israel than he cares about Florida residents.
    Fifty people won't always agree on every single issue.

    Better solutions at lower cost!

  7. #57
    Student JD1965's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Last Seen
    03-26-20 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    244

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau72 View Post
    Congress has overtly attacked the Constitution.... Though I am skeptical of the results of an Article V convention....
    The Article V Convention is a proper noun. There is no other convention clause of a fifth article.

    Your skeptical of the convention process in light of the fact Congress should have called one in 1913 and has successfully denied one since?

    They've attacked the Constitution, they ignore the Constitution, and yet it mandates one and you're skeptical?

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,211

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Seawalls for the general welfare!

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Flori-duh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,756

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    So if a person requests the military for design specs on any new weapons being worked on you would want the Feds to just hand them over.
    How about requesting information on any planned covert operations by special forces?
    How about names of CIA operatives working undercover?

    We will disagree. The public does not need to know "everything" that is currently going on. Our enemies would like to see your position enacted. It would make things easier for them.
    Or you could just have the president of the united states invite the russians into the oval office for a discussion where not a soul knew what was discussed. Much more direct and effective.
    When I stop answering you, there's a reason.......repeat, When I stop answering you, there's a reason.

  10. #60
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    27,006

    Re: Congressional Conspiracy

    Quote Originally Posted by JD1965 View Post
    The Article V Convention is a proper noun. There is no other convention clause of a fifth article.

    Your skeptical of the convention process in light of the fact Congress should have called one in 1913 and has successfully denied one since?

    They've attacked the Constitution, they ignore the Constitution, and yet it mandates one and you're skeptical?
    I say again sir, I am skeptical that the good men will prevail over the bad men, should such a convention ACTUALLY be held. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

    Considering that, as you say, there is a conspiracy to prevent such a convention being held over a number of years, my skepticism is well founded.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •