Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 224

Thread: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitutional?

  1. #21
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,271

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Bull****, a force can't bestow inalienable rights upon you. What comic book did you read that in?
    Perhaps you misread my post. I was referring to what they thought a creator might be since they were deists. In this way, the creator might be anything at all including some force or unknown thing as well as some God of sorts. And no, I did not read this in a comic book. Rather, I read Locke, Hume, Rousseau, Kant and others. Have you?
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  2. #22
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,147

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Nope, because it does not establish any particular religion.
    Nor imply forcing such on others.

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Parrots of the Caribbean For Abortion!
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #23
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-11-19 @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    86,508

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadinho View Post
    Perhaps you misread my post. I was referring to what they thought a creator might be since they were deists. In this way, the creator might be anything at all including some force or unknown thing as well as some God of sorts. And no, I did not read this in a comic book. Rather, I read Locke, Hume, Rousseau, Kant and others. Have you?
    The deists stories aren't even proven, except for atheists and others who don't want to acknowledge that most of our founders were Christian.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA #WalkAway

  4. #24
    Tenacious
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,147

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The deists stories aren't even proven, except for atheists and others who don't want to acknowledge that most of our founders were Christian.
    If his own statements in his letters dont prove it, what would?
    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    This seems less like palliative care and more like a last meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Parrots of the Caribbean For Abortion!
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #25
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,271

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The deists stories aren't even proven, except for atheists and others who don't want to acknowledge that most of our founders were Christian.
    Oh I think the presence of deists in the founding members is well documented. You must be a Barton reader to make such claims.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  6. #26
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,271

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The deists stories aren't even proven, except for atheists and others who don't want to acknowledge that most of our founders were Christian.
    Diests were present within the founding group even though some might have called themselves Christians in name only. Surely you are not arguing that Jefferson was not a deist.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  7. #27
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-11-19 @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    86,508

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadinho View Post
    Diests were present within the founding group even though some might have called themselves Christians in name only. Surely you are not arguing that Jefferson was not a deist.
    You started using the term deists, and you did it for a reason; as most do. They don't want to acknowledge the existence of Christian thought in the founding of our country's politics. Deist was a term used during the Enlightenment, and basically you don't see it any other time. It's still Christian based, unless you want to try to sell us on the idea that Jefferson Bible was based on Islam?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA #WalkAway

  8. #28
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,271

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You started using the term deists, and you did it for a reason; as most do. They don't want to acknowledge the existence of Christian thought in the founding of our country's politics. Deist was a term used during the Enlightenment, and basically you don't see it any other time. It's still Christian based, unless you want to try to sell us on the idea that Jefferson Bible was based on Islam?
    You brought up Christianity in order to destroy the influence of deism in the enlightenment period. Like Dan Barton, some Christians desperately want to link any progress made by mankind to Christianity while treating the horrors of that religion like a forgotten uncle. Christian thought had virtually nothing to do with the DoC or the Constitution but some persist as you seem to do here. Believe whatever you want, I could care less. History is not dependent upon a common understanding by observers 230 years later.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-11-19 @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    86,508

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadinho View Post
    You brought up Christianity in order to destroy the influence of deism in the enlightenment period. Like Dan Barton, some Christians desperately want to link any progress made by mankind to Christianity while treating the horrors of that religion like a forgotten uncle. Christian thought had virtually nothing to do with the DoC or the Constitution but some persist as you seem to do here. Believe whatever you want, I could care less. History is not dependent upon a common understanding by observers 230 years later.
    Yeah, like your very liberal self.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA #WalkAway

  10. #30
    Professor
    Vadinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,271

    Re: Is displaying the Declaration of Independence in government buildings and schools unconstitution

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Yeah, like your very liberal self.
    Does the world divide itself for you along partisan lines or do you entertain the concept of objective truths independent of the observer? What I have been trying to teach you is reality, you have been trying to defend a story you have been taught. Stories serve purposes but they usually do not serve the truth especially when created by folks with an agenda. Christian apologists have been trying to claim authorship for the ideas that formed the enlightenment and thus our founding documents and even the French Revolution. It works sometimes but not with historians or students of history. I suggest you look up Thomas Paine for more guidance.
    Ubuntu: I am because we are.

    'The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.' Anatole France

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •